lens-camera matching puzzle

Drmat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

My current setup is the M10M and M10P with the 35cron 8-element and the 50cron APO.  which lens on which camera?

Yes, i understand they lenses are interchangeable, but i would love to know how others would setup.  The APO is spectacular on both cameras.  The 35 is more intriguing.  You get a nice vintage look on the monochrom, but when the light is right, it can do some very interesting things in colour.

Monochrom is my workhorse.  I do street photography and occasionally work with models.  Not a pro.

I should add that I am not seeking advice.  I am just trying to engage the community about the gear and get an idea of how people go about choosing which lens to put on their camera and why.  The question is meant to be fun.

If you were to leave the house with both cameras, which would lens would be on which camera?  For example, sometimes I think that the APO has to be on the monochrom because I feel like I am selling the sensor short if I put on a vintage lens.

3 hours ago, Drmat said:

...sometimes I think that the APO has to be on the monochrom because I feel like I am selling the sensor short if I put on a vintage lens...

Might not, perhaps, the Monochrom bring out the character of a vintage lens even more clearly than was possible previously?

Just a different way of looking at the situation...

Philip.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pippy said:

Might not, perhaps, the Monochrom bring out the character of a vintage lens even more clearly than was possible previously?

Just a different way of looking at the situation...

Philip.

I like this way of thinking.  It is about getting the most out of the lens rather than out of the sensor! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think it’s less to do with camera and lens and more to do with subject, light and mood.

When ‘the light is right’ and you or the scene feel like color, you know it’s 35-time for the 10P. When you feel the scene is timeless or nostalgic, or you’re feeling that dreamy mood — 35 on the MM.

So it goes with whatever feels the 50 gives you.

• Like 2

According to your scenario, I'd suggest that you can use your domain expertise (statistics) to analyze your settings.
IMHO, photography is a good hobby, it shall balance your left and right brains well.
If you want a more linear appearance, choose 8e. All the photos on your website are in high contrast, so APO-50 is also a good fit for you.

Edited by Erato
  • Haha 1

Fun question, good hypothetical.  Such differences in lens character makes this difficult.  The 50 Apo leaves no room for controlling IQ, it’s nature is to resolve with great clarity. I would put it on the M10P and save the 35 for the monochrome. The middle ground would be to shoot the M10P/50Apo and convert to monochrome…I think. Gotta try this stuff real world, logical thought doesn’t always agree with real IQ…. or mine for that matter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Erato said:

According to your scenario, I'd suggest that you can use your domain expertise (statistics) to analyze your settings.
IMHO, photography is a good hobby, it shall balance your left and right brains well.
If you want a more linear appearance, choose 8e. All the photos on your website are in high contrast, so APO-50 is also a good fit for you.

You got to the real issue - a need to solve puzzles is a bit my nature.

I think I have been conditioned for high contrast by too many hours on Instagram.  I am trying to learn to be comfortable with low contrast and less detail.  My brother suggested I use a noctilux for a year as therapy!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Drmat said:

You got to the real issue - a need to solve puzzles is a bit my nature.

I think I have been conditioned for high contrast by too many hours on Instagram.  I am trying to learn to be comfortable with low contrast and less detail.  My brother suggested I use a noctilux for a year as therapy!

Would that be a heavy load to you? I wonder...^^b

I enjoy all the lenses and try to optimize them all the time. Maybe I'm too old for high contrast lenses now...>"<

I decide upon the look I want to achieve.
A quick analogy to your lenses when shooting models:
When vintage 70s feel, pronounced flaring and slight softness of the image are what I am after - be it B&W or color - I go for the Summicron 40.
When I need sharpness wide open, high contrast, supreme rendering and saturated colors I go for the Summilux 35 FLE.

It is always cool to have the best lenses along with the most character ones in your preferred focal length - and then some!

58 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Fun question, good hypothetical.  Such differences in lens character makes this difficult.  The 50 Apo leaves no room for controlling IQ, it’s nature is to resolve with great clarity. I would put it on the M10P and save the 35 for the monochrome. The middle ground would be to shoot the M10P/50Apo and convert to monochrome…I think. Gotta try this stuff real world, logical thought doesn’t always agree with real IQ…. or mine for that matter. 

It is interesting the different views on the monochrom.  Some people are resolution junkies and only want the newest lenses on that sensors.  Others insist on older lenses to “tame” the sensor and make it less clinical.  I find the APO wide open on the monochrom fills a gap in between… somewhat.  

I have also found that you can tame that clinical look with paper choice when printing - a heavy matte paper seems to do the trick.

One thing I have also noticed is in high contrast light, the differences between the lenses becomes minimal on the monochrom, but very noticed on the M10P.  A strength of the APO is how it handles high ISO and low light.

4 minutes ago, Erato said:

Would that be a heavy load to you? I wonder...^^b

I enjoy all the lenses and try to optimize them all the time. Maybe I'm too old for high contrast lenses now...>"<

I sold the noctilux because it broke my wrists and shoulder!

The 35 seems to be glued to my monochrom these days, unless I have something serious to do.  The M10P is in Wetzler, and will he fit yet near future. so I am somewhat ruminating on my gear in its absence.

The days are increasing where I want to reject high contrast.  Perhaps I have a contrarian nature.  But I must admit that I really do not know what I am doing much of the time and do edits fall in line with trends!

14 minutes ago, Drmat said:

I sold the noctilux because it broke my wrists and shoulder!

The 35 seems to be glued to my monochrom these days, unless I have something serious to do.  The M10P is in Wetzler, and will he fit yet near future. so I am somewhat ruminating on my gear in its absence.

The days are increasing where I want to reject high contrast.  Perhaps I have a contrarian nature.  But I must admit that I really do not know what I am doing much of the time and do edits fall in line with trends!

Don't worry too much. If those pictures please your eyes so well.

You've got the best lens in your hands...envy.

• Like 1