Blocking a member to view our posts

Louis

17 minutes ago, Louis said:

Therefore, even if I put someone in my ignore list, he/she can still go through my posts!?.... So, ignoring is not a two way street! 

Unless you annoy them enough that they block you, too!  😂

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Louis said:

Therefore, even if I put someone in my ignore list, he/she can still go through my posts!?.... So, ignoring is not a two way street! 

It's best to ignore people as you would in real life, where they don't disappear, you just, well, ignore them!

Even if you block someone on here, you still see their posts when people quote them in a thread.

So, who is it that's really pzzzzd you off?!

Edited by earleygallery
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From the Ignore List page

Ignoring a user allows you to block some or all of their content from showing. Users are not notified that you are ignoring them.”

You cannot prevent another member viewing your content. 

The whole point of a forum is to be social. If you choose not to see someone else’s posts for whatever reason, (unless their posts are quoted by someone who you haven’t put on your Ignore List, as James has pointed out above), then that’s your prerogative, but it would be a very strange place if a member could prevent other members from seeing their posts. 

I really cannot see why that I would be a function that anyone would want. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, andybarton said:

From the Ignore List page

Ignoring a user allows you to block some or all of their content from showing. Users are not notified that you are ignoring them.”

You cannot prevent another member viewing your content…..

I really cannot see why that I would be a function that anyone would want. 

I got it now! …

I always thought you are cutting all contacts with someone that you put in your ignore list! But it seems, this is not the case.

BTW, I am not here for “socializing “ but for photography and I don’t find it strange at all to cut all contact with someone that you wish to ignore!

Too bad this function  is not available , it could prevent some problems with some people!

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, chrism said:

I am not a moderator here, but do moderate and am an admin on other forums. I am not aware of such a function being available in any board software.

I think Instagram allows you to block users for seeing your content/commenting/tagging etc. I think it is the case for Facebook as well - I am not on FB, so I don't know if ignore extends to the FB forums.

I do agree that in a community of common interest it shouldn't be possible for individual users to limit others participation just because you don't want to interact with a specific person. 
After all, an "ignore" action is normally just about conflicting interpersonal chemistry.
If it takes a more servere form than that, bullying for example, it should be a task for moderator intervention. 

7 hours ago, Louis said:

Too bad this function  is not available , it could prevent some problems with some people!

I agree with this, there are one or two here who seem to reply to just about anything I write with contradictions just for the sake of it. I do have a couple of members in my list and would rather they didn’t see my posts as they continue to reply to them… it’s actually quite creepy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianman said:

I agree with this, there are one or two here who seem to reply to just about anything I write with contradictions just for the sake of it. I do have a couple of members in my list and would rather they didn’t see my posts as they continue to reply to them… it’s actually quite creepy.

No I don’t 😛

• Haha 2