Long Live the M10-D !

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone this thread has completely shifted my mindset.... having loved the D-262 I was in the frame of mind that the wifi etc etc were unnecessary add ons, and as a result hadn’t really used them at all.  I’m seeing the camera in a completely different light now and for those occasional uses where I need a screen either the visoflex or the app solution is fine (iPad for a client shoot being even better than a screen IMO)

so it really is the best of both worlds after all. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3

I have been using the m10-d since almost 3 years now… it’s a camera that is so nice to use, and the design is so beautiful ! I don’t think the design will ever really get out of date, which will probably not be the case for most of other digital M’s. Hardware capabilities are more than enough for me. I bought another M to be able to easily switch focal lengths during my photo trips : a m10-r black paint, which is a beautiful camera in its own league. However all these buttons in the back now make me feel nervous lol. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, karrox1 said:

I have been using the m10-d since almost 3 years now… it’s a camera that is so nice to use, and the design is so beautiful ! I don’t think the design will ever really get out of date, which will probably not be the case for most of other digital M’s. Hardware capabilities are more than enough for me. I bought another M to be able to easily switch focal lengths during my photo trips : a m10-r black paint, which is a beautiful camera in its own league. However all these buttons in the back now make me feel nervous lol. 

Great !  Ha yes the simplicity is really nice 

• Like 1

No self timer on the md-10 unless you use some app.

For me that defeats the whole concept of the camera and the md-262 a much better choice in my view.

Obviously not an issue for users who only use their camera handheld.

Also posters discussing work around solution's to review images,why not use a camera with a screen then?

18 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

For me that defeats the whole concept of the camera and the md-262 a much better choice in my view.

Also posters discussing work around solution's to review images,why not use a camera with a screen then?

That's a fair question Steve and one I have asked myself since I started using fotos app a bit more regularly  . So I have thought about this Q a bit .. 

In my case I don't particularly 'want' to review images, but occasionally I could benefit from reviewing images .  For me that image review would never be in personal shooting (that's how my M gets used majority of the time), and so would be a very low percentage of overall use. More likely if working with someone and need to make sure I got something right . 

So if I had a camera with a screen, 90% + of my use would be with the screen being there but a) isn't in use (let's say I switched it off) and b) I don't find pleasing in terms of design / handleability (this may change for me in the future but my current thinking since using the D's is I find the screen a bit of a turn off now) .  

So when I do use the fotos app for reviewing images, sure it can be thought of as a negative work-around versus having a screen on the camera (although it's actually pretty seamless so even that is debatable), but for myself this is way less of a negative than having a screen on the camera full-time that I don't particularly 
like (or at least prefer without).  

But I also might not be the right person to comment because the image review is relatively occasional.  Once those percentages of use start evening out then you would have to think a user may be better off with a screen. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/2/2021 at 6:21 PM, steve 1959 said:

As on film MP/M-A, I'd use that nice mechanical self-timer, like SELFTIMER 6 or 8 like here (from this website )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Discussions

in this thread for more infos

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 3:23 AM, M9reno said:

There’s always the EVF to let you have the best of both worlds.  And the rumoured (and presumably superior) EVF for the M11 which would supposedly be compatible with the M10 is something to look forward to.

The EVF allows you to use other manufacturer's lenses and old Leitz LTM lenses too only if adapted with type 2 / 3 LTM->M adapters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by OfeyKalakar
image too large
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 6:21 AM, steve 1959 said:

I don’t see any of this as a work around.

With the camera on a tripod or tabletop, I can review a scene on my phone and take pictures when the moment is right - I find this very useful for the unguarded moment etc, when I’m just looking at my phone, and people are being natural.  Looking at a phone is a pretty normal activity …

As for reviewing, why is reviewing on a phone or iPad a work around, and peering at a small screen on the back of your camera normal?  I will often review a photo on my phone, and forward the image to FaceBook or email it to a friend.  Very quick, simple and natural, and people like getting images sent from your location …

If you start from the position that an LCD is “normal”, then using the App is a work around, I guess (in a pejorative way); if you start from the background of film and liking the form factor of a beautifully designed camera, no LCD adds to the appearance of a camera.  You then ask yourself, what do I need to take pictures?  The LCD doesn’t feature - that’s where I got to with the M60.

In the years since the M60, much ink has been spilled pointing out how stupid the concept was, and why people don’t use gaffer tape, a half case or turn the screen off, while most M60, M-D and M10-D users have been very happy with their cameras.

My only gripe is Leica’s apparent inability to get the Fotos App operating more smoothly.  It’s good, functional, but slow, unreliable across the different platforms (I don’t seem to be able to download images from my TL2) and unstable.  I suspect this has more to do with the camera bodies than the App.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I don’t see any of this as a work around.

With the camera on a tripod or tabletop, I can review a scene on my phone and take pictures when the moment is right - I find this very useful for the unguarded moment etc, when I’m just looking at my phone, and people are being natural.  Looking at a phone is a pretty normal activity …

As for reviewing, why is reviewing on a phone or iPad a work around, and peering at a small screen on the back of your camera normal?  I will often review a photo on my phone, and forward the image to FaceBook or email it to a friend.  Very quick, simple and natural, and people like getting images sent from your location …

If you start from the position that an LCD is “normal”, then using the App is a work around, I guess (in a pejorative way); if you start from the background of film and liking the form factor of a beautifully designed camera, no LCD adds to the appearance of a camera.  You then ask yourself, what do I need to take pictures?  The LCD doesn’t feature - that’s where I got to with the M60.

In the years since the M60, much ink has been spilled pointing out how stupid the concept was, and why people don’t use gaffer tape, a half case or turn the screen off, while most M60, M-D and M10-D users have been very happy with their cameras.

My only gripe is Leica’s apparent inability to get the Fotos App operating more smoothly.  It’s good, functional, but slow, unreliable across the different platforms (I don’t seem to be able to download images from my TL2) and unstable.  I suspect this has more to do with the camera bodies than the App.

For me the m10D is useless as i do not own  a smartphone or any apps but i could use an m262 D because it has a self timer.

Nothing wrong with your reply i just believe a screenless back to basics camera should not require an app for self timer function although i would agree that reviewing images on your phone is the same as doing it at home on your computer.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:57 AM, evikne said:

For future D models, I think Leica should find a more seamless/instant way to review the images. Maybe bluetooth instead of wifi. Or, if it isn't possible, perhaps better to drop the feature completely.

I always thought it would have been amazing if one could review photos through the visoflex, by pressing the function button to engage playback, and the scroll wheel to navigate. But I understand that the purists would hate that

On 10/29/2021 at 3:11 PM, chasdfg said:

I've since sold my M10D to someone on the forum and do miss it sometimes.

I'm sure it's at least put to good use, and not sleeping on a shelf 😁

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Steven said:

I always thought it would have been amazing if one could review photos through the visoflex, by pressing the function button to engage playback, and the scroll wheel to navigate. But I understand that the purists would hate that

I think it's a great idea, and it's actually strange this isn't possible already.

what i actually never understood - though perhaps it's too expensive to implement - why there are no plans for building a high-quality hybrid RF/EVF where on demand (by button press) information is projected onto the RF mirror and that way superimposed on the visible RF picture like the whitish lens frames, let's say for some camera settings and importantly for focus peaking - similar to stuff pilots are shown on the front window of jet cockpits.   it's not too intrusive for the look&feel of an M camera i would believe - or what do people think ?

i personally wouldn't want to work with a Visoflex because it adds to the size of the camera - but such a built-in hybrid solution i would very much appreciate in a M11-D.

14 hours ago, Steven said:

Could you explain a bit more what you mean please, @Steven? I think you can review through the Visoflex quite easily and it seems do work pretty much as I would expect, so maybe one of us is missing something!

John

Oops, I'm in the wrong thread, sorry. I had overlooked that this is the M10-D thread, my experience is with the -P.  If the camera supports the Visoflex at all, it seems strange that you can't use it for image review - short of seeing it on a full-size monitor I think using an EVF is the best way to do it.

John

Of course, the sensor of the M10-R or better will figure in the next D.  Thus as much as one is tempted to get an M10-D, it wouldn't be wise now, given the updates across the generations. An M-D or Edition 60 is timeless, and a hybrid will always be improved.  It's like getting a retro Volvo or a rechargeable with an electric range now being 18 miles.  The next one will be much better.  A classic will, however, stay the classic.

2 hours ago, setuporg said:

Of course, the sensor of the M10-R or better will figure in the next D.  Thus as much as one is tempted to get an M10-D, it wouldn't be wise now, given the updates across the generations. An M-D or Edition 60 is timeless, and a hybrid will always be improved.  It's like getting a retro Volvo or a rechargeable with an electric range now being 18 miles.  The next one will be much better.  A classic will, however, stay the classic.

How are you so sure there is a next D? 

• Like 1