Long Live the M10-D !

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apologies if this thread has been done before (I couldn't find one) .

Sad today today, I sold my D-262, leaving me 'just' with the 10-D .

The 10-D I bought in a moment of boredom / surge of GAS, with a 14-days no-questions-asked return policy .  I loved the D-262 so much that my original intention was to check the 10-D out, satisfy my curiosity and then return within the return period.    First impressions were that that strategy wasn't going to be an issue - on arrival the 10-D looked far more utilitarian that the more beautiful BP Typ 262.

However on handling, and having a cheeky shoot - the form factor (and oh that shutter button)  won out each time I reached for a camera  :P  In a matter of days I knew I had a big problem - the 10-D wasn't going back !  

In truth these 2 models were different enough to love them both equally, however I felt a little guilty that I was duplicating too much on my only digital M's & one should go instead of sitting on the shelf.

So as I shed a tear for my D-262 today I raise a glass and smile - "Long live the M10-D".

With the money in my account the GAS is surging once again (10R BP or M10-M) but in many ways the D experience has more or less killed my GAS because I'm unsure I want a screen-M until much more use of the D.  and perhaps not even then ....let's see how long I hold out.

Let's hope for an 11 ! 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grahamc said:

Apologies if this thread has been done before (I couldn't find one) .

Sad today today, I sold my D-262, leaving me 'just' with the 10-D .

The 10-D I bought in a moment of boredom / surge of GAS, with a 14-days no-questions-asked return policy .  I loved the D-262 so much that my original intention was to check the 10-D out, satisfy my curiosity and then return within the return period.    First impressions were that that strategy wasn't going to be an issue - on arrival the 10-D looked far more utilitarian that the more beautiful BP Typ 262.

However on handling, and having a cheeky shoot - the form factor (and oh that shutter button)  won out each time I reached for a camera  :P  In a matter of days I knew I had a big problem - the 10-D wasn't going back !  

In truth these 2 models were different enough to love them both equally, however I felt a little guilty that I was duplicating too much on my only digital M's & one should go instead of sitting on the shelf.

So as I shed a tear for my D-262 today I raise a glass and smile - "Long live the M10-D".

With the money in my account the GAS is surging once again (10R BP or M10-M) but in many ways the D experience has more or less killed my GAS because I'm unsure I want a screen-M until much more use of the D.  and perhaps not even then ....let's see how long I hold out.

Let's hope for an 11 ! 

I have a M10-R and a M10-D. Although the R is superior in several ways I nearly always reach for my D.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Matlock said:

I have a M10-R and a M10-D. Although the R is superior in several ways I nearly always reach for my D.

I don't doubt it.  As much as I am saying there D has made me GAS-free, the truth is I'm fighting buying a second camera with a screen.  Thankyou for the support ha .

I'm trying to convince myself there will be instances that I need to review images.  But for now it keeps coming back to the fact I'm very happy with the Zen-life of the D .  

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3

I can understand you so well !

I would have dreamt of a M10D-M (M10M-D :) )... I went digital late (2014) after shooting years of analog Ms and never found screen to be essential.

Screen has never been used to review pictures. I bought a M10M since I knew Leica would not make a D version, but I have the protector on the screen 100% of the time, and 0s autoreview.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, M9reno said:

There’s always the EVF to let you have the best of both worlds.  And the rumoured (and presumably superior) EVF for the M11 which would supposedly be compatible with the M10 is something to look forward to.

True !  I think it's for Live View only though isn't it on the D (you don't review photos there) ? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, didier said:

I can understand you so well !

I would have dreamt of a M10D-M (M10M-D :) )... I went digital late (2014) after shooting years of analog Ms and never found screen to be essential.

Screen has never been used to review pictures. I bought a M10M since I knew Leica would not make a D version, but I have the protector on the screen 100% of the time, and 0s autoreview.

I really like how I don't review pictures.  I admire the discipline of photographers who say "just switch the screen off" but for me, with that option there I become an anxious shooter again and I know I'd take / review many more images than necessary and become a totally different experience.  With the D I take less, and move on to the next opportunity happy (ignorance, maybe, can be bliss but it really works for me I love it and love my analogue M's too)

I do think a screen M could be quite handy for working with clients.  I currently use another system for that kind of work . 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

My next Leica will probably not have a screen. The main reason is actually that I don't like to rest my thumb on the glass plate on the back. It just doesn't feel natural or comfortable. Turning off the screen doesn't help much for this! A protruding screen also makes the camera thicker. 

For future D models, I think Leica should find a more seamless/instant way to review the images. Maybe bluetooth instead of wifi. Or, if it isn't possible, perhaps better to drop the feature completely.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey @evikne

I’ve just tested this as the fotos app isn’t something I use often.  The pleasing news is that when the camera is connected to the app, new images appear in the app almost instantly (I counted less 1 second for the image to appear after clicking the shutter).  I know Fotos isn’t without  its fault (inconsistent connection when initially connecting) but this was pretty seamless  

Which has made me think even more that I personally really don’t need any other M camera right now. 

Feels strange to have the GAS under so much control.  

Now, if only I could find the right 50:1.4 pre-ASPH life would be perfect 😂

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grahamc said:

The pleasing news is that when the camera is connected to the app, nee images appear in the app almost instantly

But how long does it take to connect to the app initially? I think perhaps that's the main problem.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, evikne said:

But how long does it take to connect to the app initially? I think perhaps that's the main problem.

It’s definitely inconsistent.  On a good day it takes the same time that it takes you to turn the dial to “wifi”, open the app and click “connect” when the prompt comes up. 

Just now after reading your message it took the same process but with clicking the prompt twice (one failed attempt). It would’ve still been under a minute. 

On a bad day (rare in my experience) it’s takes many combinations of the above while you frustratedly wonder why it’s not connecting.  This has happened once since I’ve had the camera (3 months) and was really frustrating. 

But overall I’ve found it surprisingly good, especially for a feature that is used for occasional use and a nice to have rather than an essential part of daily use. 

I generally use it if I head to a cafe etc after shooting, and reviewing images beats surfing some other stuff on my phone.  I’ve honestly not really found a problem. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3

Since chatting I’ve found a whole new way to shoot this camera.  You are right through if there were connection issues it would be awkward. 

Thanks for the reminder I had completely forgotten that there is the option of image review.  I can imagine this would be really great on an iPad if ever needed.  

Edited by grahamc

It wouldn't be an appropriate technical test without a cat involved.   Super happy. 

Sorry for the spamming that's probably enough from me for this evening :D  Long live the 10-D ! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What's not to like?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, evikne said:

I only had issues connecting the camera to the app when I first got the camera, when I had the impression that connectivity would take a handful of seconds. Once the camera and phone are paired, its quite fast to connect and stable. I basically got used to just flicking the camera to Wifi, letting it boot up for about 10 seconds (while carrying on doing other things and not just staring a the green light blinking) and then going into the FOTOS app to pair the camera to phone. I have used the app for remote shooting. I also did a mini shoot for one of my friends before. The camera was paired for about 30mins so I could review pics on the go and it worked great the whole time.

I've since sold my M10D to someone on the forum and do miss it sometimes. Prices are rising too. It's the perfect colour camera for me, of all the colour cameras out there right now. Sure, i have my list of things it could improve on, but that improved version does not exist (and may never). If i chose 1 colour camera today, that would be it. There was also a point of time I set the M10D to shoot in RAW + B&W JPEG. All the pictures displayed in the app were B&W JPEG. I was too lazy to edit pictures during that phase and simply downloaded the pictures from the app into my phone and used them from there..so I essentially had an M10-D Monochrom.

That thumb rest...it's really some thumb rest. That and the slimness of the body without the screen are what I miss the most. Your hand falls nicely into place with the thumb rest and without the LCD in the way.

Side thing, for some reason this thread reminded me of some M10D i stumbled upon on Schouten a few months back. The owner had replaced all the dials and knobs that were replaceable with silver ones (silver frame selector, ISO and shutter speed dials and screw). Looked pretty groovy.

A camera I remember very fondly and I've used many.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grahamc said:

True !  I think it's for Live View only though isn't it on the D (you don't review photos there) ? 

No - you can review the most recent photo using the EVF (instruction manual, p. 62):

REVIEW MODE
AUTOMATIC REVIEW OF THE MOST RECENT PICTURE TAKEN IN VISOFLEX
(Setting via app only)
The Auto Review function allows you to view each picture right after it was taken. That allows you to check whether the shot was successful or should be taken again. The function additionally allows – possibly in conjunction with the shutter button – to set the length of time the picture will be displayed.
Factory setting: Function OFF
Other settings are available via app. (OFF, 1s , 3s , 5s , Permanent)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M9reno said:

No - you can review the most recent photo using the EVF (instruction manual, p. 62):

REVIEW MODE
AUTOMATIC REVIEW OF THE MOST RECENT PICTURE TAKEN IN VISOFLEX
(Setting via app only)
The Auto Review function allows you to view each picture right after it was taken. That allows you to check whether the shot was successful or should be taken again. The function additionally allows – possibly in conjunction with the shutter button – to set the length of time the picture will be displayed.
Factory setting: Function OFF
Other settings are available via app. (OFF, 1s , 3s , 5s , Permanent)

Brilliant.  Thanks :)