Any 50 mm lenses to compliment the 50 Elmar-m

elixxir

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using the 50 Elmar-M for almost a year with my M6 as my only lens for M format and I really love its rendering.

The rigid Summicron is really an interesting lens but I couldn't find one in a good condition and the price is going up like crazy these day so it's not my option

I mainly shoot portrait and some street photography :)

Currently,I'm interested in 50 Summilux BC(I heard the rendering is sharper and more deep in red to the normal one) and new LLL Elcan

Btw,sorry for my bad English :D

Welcome to the forum :)I must own a dozen 50mm M lenses but none of them match perfectly the Elmar-M 50/2.8 how i feel it. It is my favorite 50mm lens ever but this is highly subjective given that i prefer it to the Summicron 50/2 apo so take what i say with a lump of salt. The 50mm lens i use the most to complement the Elmar-M is the C Sonnar 50/1.5 followed by the Summilux-M 50/1.4 asph. I have no experience with the "BC" though.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

I need not to complement my loved Elmar-M 2.8/50 (sold).

I replaced it with Summarit-M 2.5/50, no need to fold/unfold anymore, almost as compact and more pleasing (just my taste)

light spots ( the former hexagon shapes, closed down Elmar-M was no-no for me).

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lct said:

Welcome to the forum :)I must own a dozen 50mm M lenses but none of them match perfectly the Elmar-M 50/2.8 how i feel it. It is my favorite 50mm lens ever but this is highly subjective given that i prefer it to the Summicron 50/2 apo so take what i say with a lump of salt. The 50mm lens i use the most to complement the Elmar-M is the C Sonnar 50/1.5 followed by the Summilux-M 50/1.4 asph. I have no experience with the "BC" though.

46 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I need not to complement my loved Elmar-M 2.8/50 (sold).

I replaced it with Summarit-M 2.5/50, no need to fold/unfold anymore, almost as compact and more pleasing (just my taste)

light spots ( the former hexagon shapes, closed down Elmar-M was no-no for me).

Thank you for your replies!!

Hi,

I never had the opportunity to use a 50 mm Elmar, but have used a "rigid' since 1968 and more recently the current Summicron. Yes, there are differences between lenses, however, especially for film cameras the results you will achieve will depend more, much more, on the type of films you use (b&w, colour neg, transparencies), any filtration used for b&w, film processing, and printing. How large are your prints? By all means, if you have the means, get a different 50 mm but you will not likely go about changing lenses during a photo session.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jean-Michel said:

Hi,

I never had the opportunity to use a 50 mm Elmar, but have used a "rigid' since 1968 and more recently the current Summicron. Yes, there are differences between lenses, however, especially for film cameras the results you will achieve will depend more, much more, on the type of films you use (b&w, colour neg, transparencies), any filtration used for b&w, film processing, and printing. How large are your prints? By all means, if you have the means, get a different 50 mm but you will not likely go about changing lenses during a photo session.

Thank you for your reply,

I shoot B,W most of the time for my personal works(TriX,Hp5)

For color,I only use Portra400 for its versatility and good skin-tone and hardly use slide films,since I can’t develop by myself 😂

I most likely won’t change my lens during the session,since my m6 is actually an extra camera to my M digital which has a 35 cron ASPH permanantly attached on 🤣

The compliment I have mentioned are regarded to the look that lenses render,extra stops(which most of the time I haven’t used much),and so on.

I’ve been using these 2 mentioned lenses for quite a long time so I need a different “experience” :)

@elixxir,

your discovery journey can begin, then.

Curious for decades, I've purchased when I can one by one new lens to 'discover', with pleasure.

Your next 50mm can be whatever lens to discover, then if it does what you want, keep it, if not just sell.

Selling a Leica (or M/LTM mount) can be the price to pay (very small amount in general) for discovery.

Summicron 50mm come with different flavors,

- "I" collapsible can be the most difficult to accept it's lovely 'softness' wide open.

- "II" or Rigid/DR ( I use many of these ) can be a good challenger to Elmar-M

- " III" my prefered as first Leica lens I bought, so long ago, and I never use another Summicron "III", strange

in this forum Wiki, this is called "II", https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(II)_f%3D_5_cm_1:2

- "IV/V" with same optical in many types of mechanics to discover ( I use two very nice chrome models I keep after a dozen in black )

- and so on ...

then you have so many 50mm Summilux-M to try out 😉

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

@elixxir,

your discovery journey can begin, then.

Curious for decades, I've purchased when I can one by one new lens to 'discover', with pleasure.

Your next 50mm can be whatever lens to discover, then if it does what you want, keep it, if not just sell.

Selling a Leica (or M/LTM mount) can be the price to pay (very small amount in general) for discovery.

Summicron 50mm come with different flavors,

- "I" collapsible can be the most difficult to accept it's lovely 'softness' wide open.

- "II" or Rigid/DR ( I use many of these ) can be a good challenger to Elmar-M

- " III" my prefered as first Leica lens I bought, so long ago, and I never use another Summicron "III", strange

in this forum Wiki, this is called "II", https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(II)_f%3D_5_cm_1:2

- "IV/V" with same optical in many types of mechanics to discover ( I use two very nice chrome models I keep after a dozen in black )

- and so on ...

then you have so many 50mm Summilux-M to try out 😉

Thank you sir !!🙏

It is pretty weird that I want to try the new LLL Elcan replica 😂 since the original is such a rare item and it is technically a Mandler’s design(I’m lurking in this forum for about a couple weeks to know that his lenses are legendary)

The work horse might be a Sumilux which I am not sure about the right version for me yet. 😅

For Summilux-M 50, I can NOT help much.

I'm on the way of discovery since many years.

I did love the Lux asph. as one of the best I used in 50mm to discover that the rendering too 'sharp' was not for me, so sold again (to a younger photog. at a lost but for him it was a big investisment).

Now I choose between my three Lux pre-asph. of different period with different character (very subtle indeed) on each.

The trio ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

older chrome, black anodized, titanium coated (my first heavy one, why the other lighter Summilux)

to follow

Foolishly ...

Last week, I've seen selling on line 'a beauty' Summilux-M 50 the asph. (again ?), here ... in black chrome, but knowing the weight about 450g, I changed my mind

Edited by a.noctilux

I really like my new to me Elmar-M 50:2.8.  As a sidetone to this discussion I'd be interested to hear what others think is the defining characteristics of this lens ? I've only shot a couple rolls with it so far, so hope to find out for myself in time but I'm wondering what this lens is famed for also from those more experienced in use :) 

With regards the pairing for OP ... are you looking for something to be noticeably different from it then, ie offering things that the Elmar doesn't ?  I wonder what makes a good pairing for you. 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, farnz said:

Is it a 50/2.8 Elmar-M or a 50/3.5 Elmar-M?  They are two very different lenses.

Pete.

I was wondering also which Elmar it was, but I’m wondering is it the original Elmar 2.8 discontinued in 1974, or the “new” Elmar-M introduced in 1994?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mikemgb said:

I was wondering also which Elmar it was, but I’m wondering is it the original Elmar 2.8 discontinued in 1974, or the “new” Elmar-M introduced in 1994?

To potentially complicate matters further there's the original 50/3.5 Elmar in LTM and the later 50/3.5 Elmar-M.

Pete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, farnz said:

Is it a 50/2.8 Elmar-M or a 50/3.5 Elmar-M?  They are two very different lenses.

Pete.

1 hour ago, mikemgb said:

It’s the new 2.8 Elmar-M :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

I really like my new to me Elmar-M 50:2.8.  As a sidetone to this discussion I'd be interested to hear what others think is the defining characteristics of this lens ? I've only shot a couple rolls with it so far, so hope to find out for myself in time but I'm wondering what this lens is famed for also from those more experienced in use :) 

With regards the pairing for OP ... are you looking for something to be noticeably different from it then, ie offering things that the Elmar doesn't ?  I wonder what makes a good pairing for you. 

I can’t help much,since the only 50mm lenses I have tried from Leica are Rigid and cron V5.

For me,Rigid is a really solid choice for portrait but the price for a really good condition is too expensive in 2021.The rendering is lovely especially in B&W.It actually could be my compliment to my 50 Elmar-M 🤣

For the Elmar-M itself,I love the sharpness of it but not so much contrast as a V5 but from F 5.6 to 16 is almost identical to the cron.

I don’t know why but this lens renders more beautiful on B&W film than digital for my taste 🤣