Colour photographer buys an M10 Monochrom (image thread not open)

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

34 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Never more than yellow or orange for me.

Jeff

I chose red cause when I use silver efex for Bw conversion from colour files, the filter simulation button I press the most is the red one. It seems to brighten skin tones which I like.
Maybe it was the wrong thinking.  

@Steven It's been years since I used a red filter on film but on the monochrom I find that it does far too strong a job on things like skin. People look like aliens. It evens out skin tones so much that texture disappears. I have yellow filters on all lenses during the day just to bring down the blue sky slightly but at night those come off.

And ignore those that immediately assume that your lens is broken just because you posted a photo that might be grainy, shaky, or otherwise imperfect. About half of my favourite photos of all time are faulty, some deliberately so.

Edited by convexferret
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, convexferret said:

@Steven It's been years since I used a red filter on film but on the monochrom I find that it does far too strong a job on things like skin. People look like aliens. It evens out skin tones so much that texture disappears. I have yellow filters on all lenses during the day just to bring down the blue sky slightly but at night those come off.

And ignore those that immediately assume that your lens is broken just because you posted a photo that might be grainy, shaky, or otherwise imperfect. About half of my favourite photos of all time are faulty, some deliberately so.

Thank you for everything. 

Nice photos @Steven    

Question for fun:  Knowing what you know about the soon-ish M11, if you were to buy only one M right now and had to choose between the M10-R BP, M10-M, or indeed M-11, which would it be ? 😉 

They all have unique selling points I’m sure to accompany my 10-D.   The colour high mp of the 10-R will no doubt be matched or exceeded by the 11 (but may or may not come in bp),  I’m also not super thirsty for MP to be honest. The 10-M is, well, monochrome 🖤  Interested to know which you would choose in next 6 months if only one.  

Edited by grahamc

On 10/27/2021 at 6:06 PM, Steven said:

Lux 35 pre asph. I just love that glow. Also, ISO 10K perfectly clean. Grain added in post. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm two years or so in with the M10-M, bought new soon after it first arrived on the scene. I also have the MM1, again bought new soon after it's release but it's on a long term open loan to a friend in SA who's work has changed so much since he's turned to using a Monochrom as his only camera, changed in a really good way. Interestingly the M10-M is the camera that encouraged my turn back to using film again for personal work, now what I do is probably 70% with the M10-M, and the other 30% is split sometimes unevenly between colour with the M10-D and film with the M-A or MP, ( B&W, Tri-X nothing else ).................Next we will have you printing your work Steven!

PS. This banquette / empty table shot in the restaurant, was that Rules in London?

Edited by petermullett

Welcome to the Monochrom Camera system Steven. It will be interesting to see if working in black and white consistently, adds a different perspective to your image making in general? I know you're not new to black and white work but understand changing cameras and lenses for that matter, present creative challenges in ones shooting and post processing styles. My colour work changed somewhat after seeing and shooting in black and white over the years. I like working in colour but not extensively. Not as much as black and white photography.  

Best

Ken

Edited by Ken Abrahams
comma
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, grahamc said:

Nice photos @Steven    

Question for fun:  Knowing what you know about the soon-ish M11, if you were to buy only one M right now and had to choose between the M10-R BP, M10-M, or indeed M-11, which would it be ? 😉 

They all have unique selling points I’m sure to accompany my 10-D.   The colour high mp of the 10-R will no doubt be matched or exceeded by the 11 (but may or may not come in bp),  I’m also not super thirsty for MP to be honest. The 10-M is, well, monochrome 🖤  Interested to know which you would choose in next 6 months if only one.  

The M11, of course. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, petermullett said:

I'm two years or so in with the M10-M, bought new soon after it first arrived on the scene. I also have the MM1, again bought new soon after it's release but it's on a long term open loan to a friend in SA who's work has changed so much since he's turned to using a Monochrom as his only camera, changed in a really good way. Interestingly the M10-M is the camera that encouraged my turn back to using film again for personal work, now what I do is probably 70% with the M10-M, and the other 30% is split sometimes unevenly between colour with the M10-D and film with the M-A or MP, ( B&W, Tri-X nothing else ).................Next we will have you printing your work Steven!

PS. This banquette / empty table shot in the restaurant, was that Rules in London?

Thank you Peter. 

It's a story I keep hearing from people who switched to the M10M, and honestly, I can completely understand. One tool only, that you can do everything with, that you master and become a simple, invisible extension of your eyes. Sometimes I dream of it too. 

But to be honest, I love colour too much to imagine myself dedicated to BW. But we never know... something can happen. right now, I'm just in honeymoon phase. Everything is beautiful. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ken Abrahams said:

Welcome to the Monochrom Camera system Steven. It will be interesting to see if working in black and white consistently, adds a different perspective to your image making in general? I know you're not new to black and white work but understand changing cameras and lenses for that matter, present creative challenges in ones shooting and post processing styles. My colour work changed somewhat after seeing and shooting in black and white over the years. I like working in colour but not extensively. Not as much as black and white photography.  

Best

Ken

Thank you Ken! 

On 10/28/2021 at 9:13 AM, Steven said:

I chose red cause when I use silver efex for Bw conversion from colour files, the filter simulation button I press the most is the red one. It seems to brighten skin tones which I like.
Maybe it was the wrong thinking.  

You likely won’t be able to use your shoot from the hip technique wide open with a red filter due to focus shift. Just an FYI. 

57 minutes ago, Steven said:

Colour Filters create focus shift ? 

Strong colour filters on lenses not well colour-corrected, yes. So older lenses mostly. You should check your pre-asph summilux 35 for example but your AA summilux will likely be much less affected, if at all. Also only an issue wider open of course.

• Thanks 1

Liking the overexposed, blow-out highlight monochrome look.. .

• Like 5

with the pre asph closed down at night

• Like 4

20k ISO, 1/125th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50K ISO inside a moving car at night 

• Like 1

• Like 4

• Like 3