Colour photographer buys an M10 Monochrom (image thread not open)

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I'm confused. When I talk about gear, I'm told its too much and to go out to take some photos. When I post photos, I'm told to focus on gear ⚙️ 😂 all jokes aside, I didn't know there was a place for photos and a place for gear, the two being so closely related. But I intend this thread to be more of a photographic journey with my new M10M than a conversation on its sensor specs. So maybe I should ask that it is moved somewhere else... 

Oh, and thanks for the compliment... 

The official ;) maximum in such a thread is four per session. So I changed the title :) 

• jaapv changed the title to Colour photographer buys an M10 Monochrom (image thread not open)

Good choice, @Steven.  I have the original Monochrom (rare silver chrome), and it is my favourite camera.  I leave the ISO on Auto, comfortable it will be fine even at 10,000, leaving me with the choice of aperture and shutter speed.  The files are very flat out of the camera, but come alive with careful processing.

Your first images are very nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 Pre Asph, F 2.8, 1/250th, ISO 20K 

SOOC. Crazy to me that it can give such a clean image. 

Of course, on a colour camera, I could have dropped the shutter speed to 1/30th and get the shot with three extra stops of light, but it's not the point.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Grabbed this one from the hip, while walking quite fast to be conspicuous, so a shutter speed of 1/250th was much needed, here.

35 Pre Apsh, F 1.4, 1/250th, ISO 40K !!! SOOC. 

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The disadvantage of shooting from the hip is obviously composition. I wish I hadn't cut her head here, but I still like the image. The husband, turned to me, was scrolling on instagram, while she was enjoying her glass of wine alone, day dreaming.... 

I also like a "mystery girl" 6x6 crop, to show the reflection of the wine glass on her coat and legs. My point is to illustrate the quality of the 40MP sensor. I wasn't using the sharpest lens in the world, but a quite heavy crop at 40K iso still works! 

• Like 5

ISO 5000 1/250th, still while moving. 

• Like 7

Guest Nowhereman
1 hour ago, Steven said:

ISO 5000 1/250th, still while moving...

This one I would have liked at ISO20,000, which would have allowed you to stop down 2 stops: perhaps that could have reduced the "bokeh balls" and given more detail of the Eiffel tower. Or maybe ISO 40,000 — something that would not worked well in color with the M10-R. 

Your style/eye is already evident. Many here struggle far more, especially early on, with Monochrom PP.  Kudos. I would recommend NO color shooting the next couple of weeks or more, and I bet you would find another level of connection.  For me, it’s more about that than IQ, even though the M10-M is remarkable technically (assisted in low light/high ISO performance by the dual gain sensor tech… kind of like base ISO and then another ‘base ISO bump’ to deliver smooth, flexible files).

M10-R b/w conversions can benefit from use of color channels in PP, compared to using glass color filters on the Monochrom (have you tried?). But not the same effective resolution (due to lack of color array). Always trade offs.

Next stop…. prints. 😳

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Steven:

35 Pre Asph, F 2.8, 1/250th, ISO 20K 

SOOC. Crazy to me that it can give such a clean image. 

Of course, on a colour camera, I could have dropped the shutter speed to 1/30th and get the shot with three extra stops of light, but it's not the point.  

The legendary DAF with its Variomatic. The first car of my parents. Thank You for the picture. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Your style/eye is already evident. Many here struggle far more, especially early on, with Monochrom PP.  Kudos. I would recommend NO color shooting the next couple of weeks or more, and I bet you would find another level of connection.  For me, it’s more about that than IQ, even though the M10-M is remarkable technically (assisted in low light/high ISO performance by the dual gain sensor tech… kind of like base ISO and then another ‘base ISO bump’ to deliver smooth, flexible files).

M10-R b/w conversions can benefit from use of color channels in PP, compared to using glass color filters on the Monochrom (have you tried?). But not the same effective resolution (due to lack of color array). Always trade offs.

Next stop…. prints. 😳

Jeff

Thanks for the encouragement Jeff. A red color filter is next on my list. 

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

BTW, the 35 FLE plays very well with the M10 Monochrom. 😁

Jeff

That’ll be the ultimate test ! 

2 hours ago, MrFriendly said:

@Steven Your 35APO shots don't look like 35APO shots; you must be either softening it in post, or missing focus.  If not, then something might be wrong with your 35APO.  Some of them, like #9, have this weird haze.

I’m glad they don’t ! I can’t stand the look of the lens in general ! Thank you. 
In post, I simply raised a bit the exposure, brought down shadows and increased contrast slightly, then added a tiny bit of grain for more mood/less APO perfection. 

Keep in mind I took this photo of someone walking while walking myself, from the hip, not looking in the vf. It was shot wide open at f2 while guessing the distance based on the position of my fingers and the focus tab on the lens. So yeah, it might have a bit of motion blur and/or soft focus. 

• Like 1