LR updates - happy about the sky masks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think, this weeks new release to LR is a big step, especially when you are into landscape photography. Making adjustments to the sky were always possible but tricky, as simple gradient filter only works with clear, straight horizons. In most cases I had to use also the luminance masking, but it took some time. So really looking forward to the new options. Here is a quick test (shot with Leica Q Type 116) with a composition, where the usual gradient or radial filters would be difficult to apply. First shot is the raw file, and in the second I applied the automatic sky selection mask with adjusments for the sky only and then the inverted sky mask for the foreground. Really impressed how quickly selective adjustments can be made exactly to the areas where I want them. And the masks pass the halo-test - nothing noted around the rock/sky transition. ( pls click on light box for better resolution)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hofo100
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Nice work Holger.  I note the clean affects around the tree branches as well.

I might have to star subscribing sometime soon (I'm on LR 6.14).  There are too many good tools now.

All best

Unless you have mastered Nik Viveza. That is what I use when selective masking is needed. Oh, and I am also still learning about the full scope of LR 6.14. 🙄

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Jeff S:

Can you post the photo?

Jeff

I could, but it was not made with a Leica camera (which of course has nothing to do with the problem), so I cannot post it here...

Edit: I have difficulties finding the image. I must say that in most cases the sky mask works very well. But there may be exceptions. While I was searching for the file, I noticed that very often low contrast detail at the horizon (buildings, poles) is cut off. 

Edited by EUSe

Continuing to explore how to make best use out of the new masking options. This one is an example of applying 2 masks, the sky mask and then the "subject" mask and LR did a pretty good job of recognizing the flower in the foreground (SL2 and SVE 16-35mm) - pls click on light box for better resolution.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:27 AM, EUSe said:

I could, but it was not made with a Leica camera (which of course has nothing to do with the problem), so I cannot post it here...

Edit: I have difficulties finding the image. I must say that in most cases the sky mask works very well. But there may be exceptions. While I was searching for the file, I noticed that very often low contrast detail at the horizon (buildings, poles) is cut off. 

Why can’t you post images here taken with a non-Leica camera?  I do it frequently.

Just had a very quick play with a previously unprocessed photo (D-Lux 7) of Wareham, Dorset.  A sky mask applied then a new radial mask to the foreground.  Original & result below.  Remarkably quick and easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Just had a very quick play with a previously unprocessed photo (D-Lux 7) of Wareham, Dorset.  A sky mask applied then a new radial mask to the foreground.  Original & result below.  Remarkably quick and easy.

You can invert the sky mask, rather than use a radial mask, for non-sky areas.  Other options, too, all covered in various online tutorials.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, andybarton said:

Because this is the Leica forum.

Andy, all my 800mm Telyt comparison images in two large postings on the Historic sub forum were taken with a Nikon D5 and many lenses that are not Leica, nor could be used on a Leica.  I clearly stated that.  I didn’t see anyone complaining.  The topic of LR Updates applies to post-processing and has nothing to do with the camera that produced the file.  The source camera is totally irrelevant to the topic.  And what about the popular “Not always Caviar” threads that are on the English and German sections?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zeitz said:

Not always Caviar

Sorry, I have no idea about any such threads. 

The rules about posting on the forum are very clear. Either the camera body, or lens, or both, must be by Leica. This is not a “general photography forum”.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, there is something horribly similar (as in 'horrible') to HDR photography coming into some of the examples. You may like it, but it is so yesterday 😉

It is a lot similar to playing around with dynamic brightness in Nik Suite where skies are brought down while the darker tones are brought up, it's just a slider bar. But as Nik Suite only uses the same formula of adjustments already possible in Photoshop/Lightroom anyway this shouldn't be a surprise. To make it look even more extreme they also do an HDR module. To avoid the HDR look from Lightroom Sky Mask you should make a selection of the sky manually and adjust that on it's own.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zeitz said:

Andy, all my 800mm Telyt comparison images in two large postings on the Historic sub forum were taken with a Nikon D5 and many lenses that are not Leica, nor could be used on a Leica.  I clearly stated that.  I didn’t see anyone complaining.  The topic of LR Updates applies to post-processing and has nothing to do with the camera that produced the file.  The source camera is totally irrelevant to the topic.  And what about the popular “Not always Caviar” threads that are on the English and German sections?

One item, lens or body needs to be Leica, but stating a photo wasn't made with anything at all by Leica doesn't circumvent the rule, that is cheating everybody else on the forum. Take up film photography, as far as I know 'I like film..' is the only truly open thread to post non-Leica images, and also one of the most popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 250swb said:

To avoid the HDR look from Lightroom Sky Mask you should make a selection of the sky manually and adjust that on it's own.

That’s how it works, but it’s better at selecting sky than doing it manually. Any adjustments you make are down to you. You don’t need to press an Auto button.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, andybarton said:

The rules about posting on the forum are very clear. Either the camera body, or lens, or both, must be by Leica. This is not a “general photography forum”.

I'd suggest that some (many?) of the pictures OF Leica cameras posted to this site were not taken with a Leica camera.  I'd not be surprised to be told that I've posted a few shots taken with my phone although I can't recall any specific instance where that was the case.