Monochrome pictures with viewfinder in colo(u)r?

uisge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Preamble: I am thinking about moving from my Olympus gear to a Leica monochrome, either M or Q2, because I found myself shooting all my images in monochrome, lately.

I am used to EVF, meaning that I am familiarized to compose my images through an EVF set to monochrome. If I do understand correctly the Q2 EVF may be set to monochrome as well, but the M VF obviously not.

Here my questions: How do Mx Monchrome users deal with that? Is this a handicap at all?

Regards (and sorry if I might have not found corresponding threads by searching this forum)

Edited by uisge
Typo

37 minutes ago, uisge said:

Preamble: I am thinking about moving from my Olympus gear to a Leica monochrome, either M or Q2, because I found myself shooting all my images in monochrome, lately.

I am used to EVF, meaning that I am familiarized to compose my images through an EVF set to monochrome. If I do understand correctly the Q2 EVF may be set to monochrome as well, but the M VF obviously not.

Here my questions: How do Mx Monchrome users deal with that? Is this a handicap at all?

Regards (and sorry if I might have not found corresponding threads by searching this forum)

if you can't visualize, then buy an EVF for the M - models post M240 accept one, unless it's a *-D( or is it P?), a camera that has no lcd, you can always keep in live view, but will drain the battery faster the EVF option.

In sum it's up to you, and that's an ability that can be cultivated/acquired

Edited by nwphil

It’s really as good as it gets — you can pre-visualize with live view or Visoflex in B&W and over time you’ll be totally comfortable viewing through the rangefinder. Coming from B&W film and SLRs and an M6 it feels natural and second nature to see in color through the rangefinder but without that forced experience I’m confident that it’s easy to pick up in time. 

Edited by michael.

I know that the EVF is frowned upon by M users, but I use my M10Mono exactly the same way. I use the optical viewfinder for focusing, which is easier, and the electronic viewfinder for the final image evaluation.
So I have, in my opinion, the best of both worlds.

Especially the effect of color filters can be evaluated exactly with the EVF.

Wolfram

Edited by strohscw
  • Like 1