Leica Fotos is not a pro tool

Photohonesty

I have never heard Leica describe their cameras as a "pro" tool. I don't even know what a "pro" tool is... The best I can come up with is a tool that is handled by a professional, which can be anything. One of the hallmarks of a professional is that he chooses his tools for their suitability for the job, not by brand.

Anyway, the Leica app is at about the same level as those from other brands - not very practical, all of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Photohonesty said:

Leica it’s just not good enough, In this age of the app you cannot describe your camera systems as pro tools when you have an app that is not fit for purpose. Two shoots two days and twice I’ve been let down.  You need to take this seriously. 

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

Could you give us a bit more detail about your particular problem - it would be helpful to your fellow Leica users, professional or not. (In particular, what camera were you using, and what aspect let you down?)

On 10/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, Photohonesty said:

Leica it’s just not good enough, In this age of the app you cannot describe your camera systems as pro tools when you have an app that is not fit for purpose. Two shoots two days and twice I’ve been let down.  You need to take this seriously. 

You need to take it seriously ...

I have personally seen only one Pro using Leica so far and he is not using this app... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ko.Fe. said:

You need to take it seriously ...

I have personally seen only one Pro using Leica so far and he is not using this app... 

or hardly visiting LUF. 

Something else: the concept of PRO is an advertising gimmick, it means nothing but connation, an idea. Once started to denote top level equipment, it has been sucked empty and corrupted by all the hypes you can get in the camera market. If it denotes anything today, it is about gear that works fast and simple to get the images at the client before the wedding is over. The most PRO camera today is an iPhone

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/27/2021 at 6:28 AM, jaapv said:

I have never heard Leica describe their cameras as a "pro" tool. I don't even know what a "pro" tool is... The best I can come up with is a tool that is handled by a professional, which can be anything. One of the hallmarks of a professional is that he chooses his tools for their suitability for the job, not by brand.

Anyway, the Leica app is at about the same level as those from other brands - not very practical, all of them.

Coming from canon, I find leica fotos apps much better than canon camera connects apps. Better UI, better transfer speed, snapier overall.

I only use the apps for vaccation or social media. But for my professional work, I never use those apps. It doesn't fit my workflow. 

• Like 1

As a newbie myself (Q2 arrived yesterday!) I am just getting my head around the basics of the camera and planning my "education" on the functionality, app and editing tools. 

I bought the Q2 based on the camera and was pleasantly surprised that it even had an interface with my phone.  Related to the app-Is it fast, user friendly or built for the masses?  from my less than 24 hrs of use, I don't think so but still thrilled it exists. 

As otto.f mentioned the iPhone is a formidable benchmark and really where my photography has been based since the at-home darkroom and Nikon F3hp were put to pasture.  Apple is simple, intuitive, continually updated and built to raise the bar of easy picture taking on a device you always have in your pocket.  When you have a billion devices sold and in use, the funds for development should be expected. 

For a high end tool that goes beyond basic picture taking and requires an infrastructure of other tools (laptop, storage, software, etc) to really maximize the output, the audience is somewhat limited and therefore the investment from Leica probably allocated accordingly.     

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always wonder why there are people that join a forum, post one negative message never to be heard of again. Troll?

Anyhoo, I used the app mainly when I've no laptop at hand. Transfer the images to the iphone and spread them to the rest of the world. And it works just fine.

• Like 3

I use the app from time to time with my M10-D. In most cases it works fine, but it is slow, it takes a time until you are connected and often I loose the connection and have to restart again.  It works „ok“. But no comparison the the phocus 2 mobile from Hasselblad. Much faster, very easy to handle, almost never loose the connection, easy sending of the the pictures in three different sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

And thank the gods it isn't a pro tool. Pretty much all pro tools are garbage since they are made for amateurs who want to feel professional by using an app. Yes, go figure! 

I've been in trouble for criticizing Leica too much on this forum before, so forgive me that I am a bluntly spoken person, but Leica's Fotos tool just works. Unlike my other "pro camera" tools like the garbage that Fuji uses. I have yet to have a completely successful session Fuji's awful ios apps and my GFX100s. Whereas Fotos is clean, easy to use and works. As you said, to be honest you need to take this seriously. 

Then again, the OP never came back. Probably a troll.

Edited by intermediatic

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 1:28 AM, jaapv said:

Did you take a look at the CamFi App? 
or have you ever used the menu extension of magic lantern? 
these tools work for everyone : professional and non professional work. Which also can be challenging. 

the most annoying thing to me is the connection speed. 

the second thing is, that the app is marketed as the tool to work around some sort of flippy screen. 
But to be honest, it does not work. Maybe with a new cable connection that will come. 

The third thing is: no additional things. 
no setting , no Timelapse , no computing. 
I don’t know …. Something…. 

the fourth thing is: multitask. I can use the camera or the app, but both , why not ? 
it’s an extension, not? 

yes I can set the time and the aperture and the focus and then it loses contact to the camera and I need to connect again , which takes 30-60 seconds , if you are lucky and the  duo has a good day. 
to me it happens that I spend an hour of trying to connect. 

it’s ok if you are playing around. 
But if you get under pressure because of the environment or the client, it’s to risky to use. 

I take it as a game and test it every now and then. But it’s no fun. 

thanxs 

peter 

• Like 2

The app works but takes a while and at times a few tries to connect. It’s for sharing images on the fly that’s all and it works as advertised. 

I shot a few weddings and got paid. Does that make me a pro? Also sold a few prints to people who felt sorry for me.

Edited by rtai
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about using the app as a remote with the S3, but I was very disappointed in the limited function. At the very least it should have the live view functions of the camera; magnified focus, horizon indicator, clipping, etc. The app is not up to Leica standards. The GoPro app is not great but has far more functionality.

1 minute ago, djmay said:

I was thinking about using the app as a remote with the S3, but I was very disappointed in the limited function. At the very least it should have the live view functions of the camera; magnified focus, horizon indicator, clipping, etc. The app is not up to Leica standards. The GoPro app is not great but has far more functionality.

Don‘t know anything about the S3 - does it have live view (ie, mirror up)?  With the SL and TL2, the AF works.  To be honest, it‘s a function that works for what it does - I don‘t spend time thinking about what it doesn‘t do.  When I have a camera on a tripod, I find the remote function indispensable.

9 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Don‘t know anything about the S3 - does it have live view (ie, mirror up)?  With the SL and TL2, the AF works.  To be honest, it‘s a function that works for what it does - I don‘t spend time thinking about what it doesn‘t do.  When I have a camera on a tripod, I find the remote function indispensable.

Yes, the mirror is up for live view. I do not use autofocus; I want the app to magnify the view to refine the focus spot, just like the camera controls. It is necessary to change focus in a remote situation.