M240 Sensor issue - horizontal black line on images

Ben J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All ,  

My Leica M240 seems to have recently developed a sensor fault in the form of a horizontal black line about halfway down the image. Does anyone else have experience of this? The camera is running firmware 2.1 00. and the lens was a new ZM35 Biogon 2.8.   the Lens is brand new and weirdly the arrival of the black line coincided with the first use of this lens on the camera

Any thoughts on this I would  much appreciate

Many thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Ben J said:

In these images Sensor ISO was 800 1/24th sec but the line also appears on other images I have  taken at 200 ISO and higher shutter speed

Send a full size .dng image to Leica. They will advise whether you need to send it in or if they will send you a firmware correction.

Hi Avvie, thanks for the info. Yes camera has just been sent back to Leica to have an evaluation and I suspect a sensor remap. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. Annoying as I had literally just bought a new Zeiss ZM35 2.8 to use on it when the problem showed up (coincidence?). Anyway its being looked at . I imagine the wait time is quite long for a remap?

Edited by Ben J

I live in the Netherlands and was sent to Leica Germany.

they estimated 8 weeks. Also because of holiday period. July/August.

It also took 7/8 weeks. so sit tight buddy.

It happened to me with a new voigtlander 35mm f1.4 sc.

I still had the guarantee from buying the m240 second handed so that came in convenient.

if you want I can send you the repair costs receipt via direct message. just send me one and i'll reply.

• 6 months later...

Hi All

So just an update on this post. Finally got my M240 back from Leica after 12 weeks and they have done a full remap of the sensor and it seems to have cured the missing line of pixels which is great...... However I now have notice a new issue. This black dot on the images near the centre /right of all images in JPG and RAW and on which ever lens I use.

It isn't sensor dust as its size and definition  not affected by  focus or exposure. It appears sharp like the examples in all images.    All attached images are zoomed in about 250% but the dot os immediately obvious on my 27'mac at full frame

It is an easy retouch obviously but it annoys me that its there especially after the camera was away being service for 12 weeks in Solms UGH!

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions other than a further sense clean

kind regards BEN

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ha sorry , camera went to Werzler!(old habits die hard!). I haven’t told them yet that there is a new issue. So frustrated to be honest  and not keen on the prospect of being without the camera for another 3 months.  
any ideas what it could be ?

visual inspection of the sensor looks really clean and it doesn’t show up as a spot on the sensor clean image when I perform that