Antarctica gear SL2 or alternatives

dawnsemd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Debating what gear to bring. There is an 11lb carry on limit for domestic flight in Argentina. I  was planning to bring q2 , SL2 have 21-50 lens sl35 rest M lens and renting 90-280 zoom, leaving behind M10mono. Considering now q2 plus buying vlux5 for zoom  or bringing q2  plus  mono plus m lens for deck photos.  Any thoughts? 

6 hours ago, dawnsemd said:

Debating what gear to bring. There is an 11lb carry on limit for domestic flight in Argentina. I  was planning to bring q2 , SL2 have 21-50 lens sl35 rest M lens and renting 90-280 zoom, leaving behind M10mono. Considering now q2 plus buying vlux5 for zoom  or bringing q2  plus  mono plus m lens for deck photos.  Any thoughts? 

Don't over complicate with too much gear:  Q & SL2 with a wide to medium zoom (e.g. Sigma 24-70mm) & 90-280mm should be sufficient.

If it were me, instead of buying a V-Lux buy yourself the Sigma 24-70mm.  Given the lighting conditions in Antarctica the SL2 will give you stunning images.

Some more feedback 👇🏻

• Like 4

I did falklands, sour Georgia and antarctica with an SL and 90-280, 24-90 and it worked out beautifully. Only a couple of times that I felt I need more length but, with SL2, won’t be a problem.  You’ll be close to all the wildlife and the  iq from that setup is hard to beat.  Enjoy

Whatever lenses you take, be sure to have several fully charged batteries.  The scenery is truly spectacular and the weather is sometimes a 'balmy' 0 degrees C.  I recommend a two-way adapter for the socket in your cabin so the charger does not monopolise it.

The 90-280 would be good for wildlife.  Remember that your idea of a proper distance from a penguin so as not to disturb him/her, may not be the same as the penguin's idea.  I sat down what I thought was a decent distance away from a path for 15 minutes, then looked over my shoulder to see a queue of 8 or so penguins waiting for me to move away (which I did immediately).  Research has shown that penguin colonies which are visited by even the most considerate tourists have a lower reproductive success rate than ones left completely alone, so do be as considerate as you can.

If you want to catch a photo of penguins 'porpoising' in the water you will need top speed on the motor drive - they move through the water like bullets, understandable as they are predated on by leopard seals (which are also really fast, agile and supple) and orca. I have several photos of a splash where there used to be penguin.

Have fun and good luck!