Anybody with the 28mm APO SL?

Yarosuav

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

Why not?  I've been using the 24/3.5 occasionally but found it's too slow indoors or in the evenings.

Most of my wide angle shooting is done outdoors in the mountains with good light. If I’m using a wide angle prime, I’m normally doing it to achieve minimum weight or maximum image quality. For minimum weight, I have the 24/3.5. For maximum quality, the 24/3.5 is equally as good as the 24/2 and is plenty sharp when stopped down to f/5.6. The other reason for using a wide angle prime would be to achieve a certain look which I find the APO SL primes provide. Otherwise, I’d be using a 16-35 SVE for flexibility.

Since I’m using the SL2-S which I can comfortably shoot up to ISO 12500 and handholding down to to 1/2s, I don’t feel limited by light gathering power. So a wide aperture, wide angle prime needs to deliver more than just light gathering for me to justify getting one and that means absolute pinnacle of image quality across the frame wide open and unique rendering which the APO SL primes seem to achieve. Otherwise, I actually prefer a lighter smaller aperture version that is sharp stopped down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:18 PM, Andrew Gough said:

More 28mm samples please. Any rumours on the 21mm or 24mm? It has been over 7 months since the 28mm was announced...

SL2 + Cron-SL 28 open f2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2021 at 8:18 PM, Andrew Gough said:

More 28mm samples please. Any rumours on the 21mm or 24mm? It has been over 7 months since the 28mm was announced...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same view, later on, both cropped square

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Apo-Summicron-SL-28/2 with SL2 and f2,0

• Like 4

landscape above or in the city, same lens Cron-SL-28

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 10:30 AM, tom0511 said:

very nice images. Thanks for posting. Do you use the 28 a lot? Have you ever compared it to the 2490 or 2470 Zooms?

Thanks, I use the 28 regularly, but also the 35, 50 and sometimes the 24-90, which I used a lot when I bought it in 2016 .Over all the years (60) I usually have been preferring the prime lenses not only because of more light, but also to focus myself, my eye and view on a certain focal length, when I am taking pictures e.g. in the street.

Here is an example taken with the Leica Zoom 24-90 (f4/25mm):

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another example with Leica-Vario-Sl-24-90  with 28mm, f:6,3

• Like 2

vor 25 Minuten schrieb f4nest:

Thanks, I use the 28 regularly, but also the 35, 50 and sometimes the 24-90, which I used a lot when I bought it in 2016 .Over all the years (60) I usually have been preferring the prime lenses not only because of more light, but also to focus myself, my eye and view on a certain focal length, when I am taking pictures e.g. in the street.

Here is an example taken with the Leica Zoom 24-90 (f4/25mm):

Thats a point. I realize that there is a risk to Zoom with the lens instead of getting closer or more far away because of lazyness.

On the other side I sometimes dont do shots because I am too lazy to switch the lens just for 1 or 2 images when using primes ;)

vor 7 Minuten schrieb f4nest:

Another example with Leica-Vario-Sl-24-90  with 28mm, f:6,3

So you feel the zoom images would have looked different if you had used the 28 APO? (For some subjects/images the shallow DOF effect of the 28/2.0 looks cool ).

In the past I loved the M-Summilux-28 f1,4 on SL but then I traded it for the SL lens because of focussing problems due to my degrading eyesight:

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has more images they could share of the 28 SL I’d love to see them - ideally environmental portraits and candid people shots. There aren’t many sample images on the web yet that I can find. I already have the 35 SL and Summicron-M 28mm V2, so remain on the fence regarding the 28mm SL until I see more examples of how it renders.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 10:10 AM, f4nest said:

In the past I loved the M-Summilux-28 f1,4 on SL but then I traded it for the SL lens because of focussing problems due to my degrading eyesight:

thats with the 28mm sl apo? looks amazing,  as good as the 35mm sl and with the wider fov, perhaps i did a mistake in buying the 35mm..... was undecided giving i saw so little posts about the 28mm and since i coudnt try before buying i went with the 35mm.