Anybody with the 28mm APO SL?

Yarosuav

I don’t own the 28 lux or Q2 but the 28 APO is amazing. As good as the 35 APO SL which is one of Leica’s sharpest lenses ever made for any system. It has the same look as the 35 APO SL, is sharp to the very corners, and crushes the 16-35 SVE at 28mm. The 16-35 SVE is still better at every other focal length except 28mm since the 28 APO SL can’t zoom. :D 

In looking at the MTFs for the Q2 and 28 lux, the 28 APO SL is unmatched in the corners.

• Like 3

I think those that already bought the 35mm are having a hard time to justify 28mm. I suspect the 21/24 APO SL lenses will be better sellers as they pair better with the 35. I'm holding out for the 24mm APO myself to have a very capable 24-35-75 APO SL trio for travel. Once the 24 APO is released, I will sell off my 16-35 SVE, with which I've not been super impressed. The resolution does not hold across the entire field and the corner performance is mediocre at best. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jplomley said:

I think those that already bought the 35mm are having a hard time to justify 28mm. I suspect the 21/24 APO SL lenses will be better sellers as they pair better with the 35. I'm holding out for the 24mm APO myself to have a very capable 24-35-75 APO SL trio for travel. Once the 24 APO is released, I will sell off my 16-35 SVE, with which I've not been super impressed. The resolution does not hold across the entire field and the corner performance is mediocre at best. 

+1. With the SL 35 and Q2, I don't feel that urge to get the SL 28. Sure, the SL 28 is sharper in corners compared to the Q2, but its much smaller size / weight and performance a bit stopped down for landscapes is more than satisfactory. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went back and forth on if I should buy the 28 SL APO or the 35 SL APO for various reasons that I may barely touch on here. Ultimately ,I went with the 35 APO and it will be delivered (hopefully) tomorrow as of this post. I actually prefer the 28mm to 35mm, focal length slightly, but I have a Q2 Monochrom already, so for "diversity" sake, I went with the 35 APO.

Having said all of that, I would really be curious to see more video reviews of the 28 APO on YouTube. My guess is its significantly sharper in the corners than our beloved Q 28mm.

I still have one on my radar as some future purchase, but I can only afford or justify so much Leica glass over a short time period.

Edited by animefx
  • Like 1

I use both, the SL 35 is slightly more intimate and the SL 28 gives more space, trying to give you some impression. First the 28mm 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

and now the 35mm SL

• Like 19

These are some taken with the 28 APO SL.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

^Wow, the way this lens renders… Amazing. The APO SL glass is really in a class of its own. Are these shot on SL2? 

I have the Q2 (and the 28mm Summilux on my M10R) and trying to convince myself I don’t need the 28 APO… You’re not making it any easier! 

• Like 2

If the 21mm APO SL and 24mm APO SL is as good as the 28mm APO SL, I will probably get both when they become available. The 21mm APO SL would make great astro lens being f/2 and wide enough to capture a wider angle of view. Assuming there is no coma on the to be released 21mm APO SL, then it would be perfect. I would shoot it alongside my Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN zoom which is currently the best wide field astro lens for L-mount available. I’m always surprised how well the Sigma zoom controls coma at f/2.8 out to the corners. The main downside of that lens is the bulbous front element which means it’s prone to flaring during the day and it can’t take screw on filters but none of those things matter for wide field astro photography.

The 24mm is ideal for mountain photography which is where I take most of my photos and is my preferred focal length if I’m carrying only a single prime.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 3