Leica SL2S + Panasonic 24mm F1.8

Malabito

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received this lens and wanted to share some snapshots from it given we have so many little samples going around.

The lens focuses fast in the sl2s, is light and seems to have quite good image quality.

I was very close to buying the sigma instead, but i always been disappointed in how they do afc, so i decided to go for the pana. Just wished it had the construction of the sigma 

Below are some pictures i took walking through the city, trying to get a hold of the lens....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, OR120 said:

I'm curious - what are your thoughts on this pana 24 f/1.8? Do you like the 24mm angle? Do you have any night shots? I would love to hear if you have time. I'm thinking about this one.

Sadly i haven't been able yet to use the lens extensively, just a quick walk after i got it, (images shared above). 

Regarding the 24 fov, it's my favorite for documentary and street and the main reason i bought the lens. I use a 24mm on my Leica m10 and have a 2470mm f2.8 which I used to use with my ex s1 must of the time at 24mm so, this prime was a no brainer. This way i can take the 2470mm f2.8 only for paid gigs in which the versatility is needed and use the prime for the rest. I can share many images with the 24mm fov, but not taking with this lens, if you want.

The lens does feel plasticy, but is also due to the weight,  its extremely light, which is a plus to carry around when needed. Focusing feels also very fast, at least in good light, i used it with AFC tracking and with Face detect and it has worked perfectly on the Sls2, (of course no extensive usage only around the house).

Hopefully i have some events to shoot this weekend and i am planning in taking only this lens to see how it behaves. Probably it will require also shooting by night. I will update back if i get more images. 

But at least until now i am happy with it, is it the best 24mm? I don think so, specially at the corners. But focuses fast, has a fast aperture, is small and light, it doesnt look bad on the camera :) 

Edited by Malabito

Thank you Malabito - it helps as I hear how you are using this lens and your expectations for the lens. I'll only use this lens with the SL2-S. I have many other prime lenses (leica and other) if I end up getting the pana 24 it will be my first autofocus lens for Leica. I was also considering the new Leica 24-70 2.8 Elmarit. But it is exactly as you say - Same for me - the 24-70 would be used almost exclusively for paid gigs. This pana 24 will be a very light/fast/ travel lens. And weather-proof - I'll be heading to Denmark for the winter holiday. I think in my mind I was hoping the Pana was a 28mm - a tighter field of view (for me). I will keep reading helpful personal reviews such as yours which will help me pull the 'right' trigger. Thank you again.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, OR120 said:

Thank you Malabito - it helps as I hear how you are using this lens and your expectations for the lens. I'll only use this lens with the SL2-S. I have many other prime lenses (leica and other) if I end up getting the pana 24 it will be my first autofocus lens for Leica. I was also considering the new Leica 24-70 2.8 Elmarit. But it is exactly as you say - Same for me - the 24-70 would be used almost exclusively for paid gigs. This pana 24 will be a very light/fast/ travel lens. And weather-proof - I'll be heading to Denmark for the winter holiday. I think in my mind I was hoping the Pana was a 28mm - a tighter field of view (for me). I will keep reading helpful personal reviews such as yours which will help me pull the 'right' trigger. Thank you again.

Hi I finally had the opportunity to take the lens and use it, i have more images posted here in my blog....

These are all taken with the sls2 and 24mm:

https://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/2021/10/29/recent-images-4/

And here is a mix of Pana 24mm and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 zm:

https://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/2021/10/31/colectiv-6-years-later/

I can only say this lens is a winner. I do think given the plastic construction perhaps price should be a bit lower, but thats it, no other complain.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Malabito said:

Hi I finally had the opportunity to take the lens and use it, i have more images posted here in my blog....

These are all taken with the sls2 and 24mm:

https://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/2021/10/29/recent-images-4/

And here is a mix of Pana 24mm and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 zm:

https://ailukewitsch.wordpress.com/2021/10/31/colectiv-6-years-later/

I can only say this lens is a winner. I do think given the plastic construction perhaps price should be a bit lower, but thats it, no other complain.

Thank you Malabito - in your first set: sls2 and 24mm - it seems as though........ maybe 9 out of the 14 images have a slight crop to them - not full frame? Beautiful color.

2 minutes ago, OR120 said:

Thank you Malabito - in your first set: sls2 and 24mm - it seems as though........ maybe 9 out of the 14 images have a slight crop to them - not full frame? Beautiful color.

Both sets - great photos - thank you for posting

• 8 months later...
15 hours ago, chicagophoto said:

Are you able to use the back button focus feature with this lens and disable the shutter release from doing any focusing 

Yes it works with this lens. I sadly sold my Pana 24-70mm f2.8 due to that, but with this lens it's working, (it doesnt work the with pana spro series due to the clutch).