Leica M Mount Lens to L Autofocus Adapter

Fang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, LD_50 said:

My point was it’s not likely Leica would produce an adapter that does not operate the floating elements. The reason for the added complexity in these lenses is the improved IQ. 

Sure, I agree with you, but the Techart Pro is good enough for me. Now if only they'd release one for L mount...

On 10/26/2021 at 12:31 AM, Simone_DF said:

You have a point, but a DFD only AF adapter would be too slow. One of the advantages of PDAF is the speed at which a subject is acquired, and a Sony with the Techart Pro is just ok-ish as long as speed is concerned. Remove it, and you'll have a very slow autofocus system. 

Remember that all these adapters do is move the lens body up and down, and nothing else. It's not the same as modern AF motors found in SL lenses. Another issue of this method is that Techart itself doesn't recommend to use its adapter for lenses over 500g of weight to avoid straining the motor, so I think the Noctilux is a no no.

The Techart Pro works really well for what it is, with some caveats, but I don't think performance would be acceptable for Leica or for any first party brand. 

All AF lenses move linearly to focus (internally). Turning the external barrel to achieve focus only takes place on manually focusing that eventually translates to linear movement of optical elements. 

Whatever said about AF adapters, I think it only matters that the AF works accurately, seamlessly & reliably determined by real picture taking results and experiences.

Having experienced the SL601 & SL2 since the SL system started by Leica in 2015, I’m yearning for a better camera than what Leica can offer today on AF in portrait and wildlife applications to supplement my Leica M. Z9 seems to fit my requirements & now the Techart ll af adapter proves to work well with both my Noctilux 0.95 & M21mm summilux. A really tempting proposition for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Z9 seems to fit my requirements & now the Techart ll af adapter proves to work well with both my Noctilux 0.95 & M21mm summilux. A really tempting proposition for me.

Those are worse-case lenses. Both are heavier than what Techart can support, and the Summilux is an internal-focus wide angle. You might still find the results subjectively acceptable, of course, but they may not be as good as a native AF lens with similar specifications.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:00 AM, LD_50 said:

My point was it’s not likely Leica would produce an adapter that does not operate the floating elements. The reason for the added complexity in these lenses is the improved IQ. 

If a new Leica comes out with a phase detect autofocus, there might be a chance if people keep asking for it. 
many people …. 
people that are willing to pay a price for the adapter….. 

16 hours ago, Pelu2010 said:

If a new Leica comes out with a phase detect autofocus, there might be a chance if people keep asking for it. 
many people …. 
people that are willing to pay a price for the adapter….. 

I don’t think so. They have phase detect AF and adapters for the S system and none of them add autofocus to manual lenses. It just doesn’t make sense to do so as I’ve stated before with floating lens element designs.