M10 R or M11?

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

In 1965 I was sent to a hardware store to collect a set of tools for my apprenticeship. The store had a scale for weighing out things per pound like nails etc. When it came time to pick a hammer the owner took three to the scale. A dandy looking Estwing with a leather handle, a Plumb with a wooden handle and a Stanley with a wooden handle. All 16oz. hammers. The Estwing was a total weight of 16 ounces. The other two weighed more due to the head being 16 ounces in weight. He told me the Estwing looked good but not as effective when I was going to have to swing it all day long. A lesson I never forgot. 

Well as with cameras we are all different...........I've owned and heavily used Estwings for quite maybe 4-5 decades, built three homes with them and remodelled more. I love the balance and the way they strike, they are good as long as you choose the right weight, head and length for the job......but as I said, we all have differing choices. Thanks for the spelling correction by the way, damn auto-correct never was a builder!

Interesting topic and my own approach has been to buy the M10R Black Paint as frankly it's the pinnacle of the M10 range in terms of performance (putting Mono to one side) and looks. I might buy the M11 but I'll probably hold back as whilst it will be a step up I'm not sure it's going to be terribly material to daily use. I'd also be buying the 'base model' M11 and I'd rather wait until the M11P arrive or R and then decide.

Remember what happened when the M10P was launched, many many used M10's only a year or so old being traded in. Once the M11 launches as M10R users look to upgrade the used price will drop so a used M10R early in the New Year might make sense and then trade for an M11P or R when it lands and not lose too much........ but damn that M10R Black Paint!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Wait three years for the M11P?  By the three year mark, the M12 will soon arrive on the scene and then you'll have to start the whole process over!! 😱

How old were you when you finally figured this out? 😃

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SJH said:

Interesting topic and my own approach has been to buy the M10R Black Paint as frankly it's the pinnacle of the M10 range in terms of performance (putting Mono to one side) and looks. I might buy the M11 but I'll probably hold back as whilst it will be a step up I'm not sure it's going to be terribly material to daily use. I'd also be buying the 'base model' M11 and I'd rather wait until the M11P arrive or R and then decide.

Remember what happened when the M10P was launched, many many used M10's only a year or so old being traded in. Once the M11 launches as M10R users look to upgrade the used price will drop so a used M10R early in the New Year might make sense and then trade for an M11P or R when it lands and not lose too much........ but damn that M10R Black Paint!!

Seems like a smart strategy !  I'm amazing myself with my discipline (so far) to hold off on a 10R BP purchase, however this is mostly because I've really happy with my 10-D and love the shooting experience / lessons a screen less camera is giving me.    But if I do cave in to the lure of the 10R it will be black paint and I'll be following your plan and jump on a later variant 11 .   

One consideration is the BP pricing was very similar to the standard chrome 10R wasn't it .. which was surprising value pricing (comparitively) and made me feel that when 11 comes there may be significant changes i.e. significantly superseding the R.  Having said that if we were truly into the latest whizz-bang spec increases we'd probably be using other systems.  It's definitely not my main driver for using M, which brings me full circle to being very happy with my 10 for now.    

Edited by grahamc

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Agree… plus I just don’t like the look of the black and brass…the antithesis for me of the lovely black finish that attracts in the first place.

It's interesting, I'm somewhat of the opposite opinion.  I actually like the worn look, likely because I can relate to it given that it's pretty much what I look like. In a similar vein there are those who prefer their vintage guitars to be time capsules and then there are those of us who want them played. Perfection is great for resale, but imperfection is, for me, comforting. 

What I don't like is the notion of a two year old camera looking more like its thirty after only a few thousand frames. In the case of an instrument, the thing about patina that I find attractive is that it makes one wonder who owned it, what they played, where it was heard. In the case of camera that I've own since new, the bruises remind me of how I used it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

It's interesting, I'm somewhat of the opposite opinion.  I actually like the worn look, likely because I can relate to it given that it's pretty much what I look like. In a similar vein there are those who prefer their vintage guitars to be time capsules and then there are those of us who want them played. Perfection is great for resale, but imperfection is, for me, comforting. 

What I don't like is the notion of a two year old camera looking more like its thirty after only a few thousand frames. In the case of an instrument, the thing about patina that I find attractive is that it makes one wonder who owned it, what they played, where it was heard. In the case of camera that I've own since new, the bruises remind me of how I used it.

Sure, to each his own. I’ve mentioned before that for me it’s like glossy black paint on an expensive new car; I’d be irritated if it started wearing off, especially in the first years of use. Not patina, just not as elegant and lustrous.  And taking it off would be like adding gold pinstripes. Not my cup of tea. But clearly other opinions abound.

Jeff

18 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

...taking it off would be like adding gold pinstripes. Not my cup of tea. 

+1.

I'm reminded of the unrestored ex-Surtees LeMans GTO that resides, or at least use to, a few miles down the road from me. I've seen a number of them over the years, but that one, with all its imperfections, is to me the most beautiful of its ilk by far... and possibly the most valuable as well. 

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

+1.

I'm reminded of the unrestored ex-Surtees LeMans GTO that resides, or at least use to, a few miles down the road from me. I've seen a number of them over the years, but that one, with all its imperfections, is to me the most beautiful of its ilk by far... and possibly the most valuable as well. 

This original ex-Surtees one was a pretty good deal for $7k…

https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/179/articles/better-left-alone

Jeff

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

This original ex-Surtees one was a pretty good deal for $7k…

https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/179/articles/better-left-alone

Jeff

I recall as a teenager reading the classifieds in Road & Track, probably in the late sixties, and seeing one for sale for $10K. Sadly I couldn't convince the old man to buy it for me. Eventually after having to cope with eccentricities of a Healey 3K MkII, an MGB and an Alfa 2000 on my own money, he relented and got me a Vega with a 2 speed slush box instead. I suppose I've gotten over the GTO, but to this day I've never forgiven him for the Chevy.

2 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

If you're into vintage guitars, then you probably realize that there is a big (and expensive) market for aged Les Paul Historics out of the custom shop that come out of the factory new looking like they're 62 years old....

https://reverb.com/item/45602813-extremely-rare-gibson-custom-shop-tom-murphy-1959-les-paul-botb-pg-48-all-murphy-painted-aged?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiJkM2U4YjA3ZC05OGViLTQ2MmMtODA0Zi0xNzMyNWMzYzZlNjgiLCJpYXQiOjE2MzUyOTI1ODEsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiIiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiNDhjNTBiNDktZjkxMi00ZmIzLTljYzAtZjMxOGUxOTZkMTdlIiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjQ1NjAyODEzIiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.oeQ-MOOj_MMWLn8CkP5xxjQqorP_ZPY5XFt8z6CD5nY

24 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

I recall as a teenager reading the classifieds in Road & Track, probably in the late sixties, and seeing one for sale for $10K. Sadly I couldn't convince the old man to buy it for me. Eventually after having to cope with eccentricities of a Healey 3K MkII, an MGB and an Alfa 2000 on my own money, he relented and got me a Vega with a 2 speed slush box instead. I suppose I've gotten over the GTO, but to this day I've never forgiven him for the Chevy.

Don’t feel bad. I bought a new 911 Cabriolet in 1986 for $36k (sold 8 years later for $38k). So, seems a good buy. But I bought it in lieu of a mint 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC, one Florida owner, 8k mi, for $27k.  Didn’t want the maintenance costs.  Probably about a half million now. 

Jeff

26 minutes ago, aristotle said:

If you're into vintage guitars, then you probably realize that there is a big (and expensive) market for aged Les Paul Historics out of the custom shop that come out of the factory new looking like they're 62 years old....

I wouldn't say I'm into them per se... I wound up over the years with a small collection, but I'm no collector. When I was playing seriously, I'd run into, and when I could afford it, buy guitars that I found I had an affinity for.  I learned early that you never sell a guitar that you build a relationship with. In the end, some of them turned out to be collectable.  With solid body electrics I was more of a Fender guy, but wound up with a Gibson or two as well.

Can't recall exactly how much I paid, many, many decades ago, but far less than a new historic goes for today. As we're on the subject of black paint and patina a quick snap, age 67.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2