M10 R or M11?

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/23/2021 at 6:02 PM, kengai said:

I have the M10, but I find the touch on the M10 P useful. Then there's the M10 R to complicate life!
Hence the question M10 R or better to wait for the M11?

Well, I think the M10-R is a major upgrade from the M10 (not so much the pixels but the highlight behaviour).

The black paint m10-R is such a lovely thing . . . . . so I bought one

I probably will get an M11 as well, but it's nice to have two capable bodies.

I would have said that it's worth it if you fancy an M10-R and you can afford it! Probably don't spend too much time making your mind up if you want a black paint one though!

all the  best

Jono

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Well, I think the M10-R is a major upgrade from the M10... I probably will get an M11 as well... it's nice to have two capable bodies.

Damn it.  So what you're really saying is that not only are we going to want to get an M11, but we're going to want to keep the 10-R along side it as well.  Oh well, in for a penny, in for fifteen thousand or so £s.  😉

• Haha 2

My thinking is that the M10-R will be a defining model for Leica, and, especially if the rumours are true, the M11 may end up being like the M7, a step too far (a camera with features I don’t want or need). I still have an M6 TTL and would never contemplate getting a replacement (Resolution… I really should put a film through it this year!). My experience of the M10-R is that it does everything I need from a rangefinder. As I’ve moved across to a pair of SL2s for most assignments, the single M will be perfect for my needs -  hope for many years to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Well, I think the M10-R is a major upgrade from the M10 (not so much the pixels but the highlight behaviour).

The black paint m10-R is such a lovely thing . . . . . so I bought one

I absolutely agree with both sentences. That beauty just had to be bought....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

I absolutely agree with both sentences. That beauty just had to be bought....

You guys are now seriously messing up my decision process… I’m partial to silver Leicas, but with M10-R decided to get the black for a change, when it came out last year. I love the M10-R, but never bonded with how the black looks/feels. So I decided I would get the silver after all, sell my black, and be happy. But now all the oohs and aahs over the BP are making me rethink if I should get the BP instead of silver… All pretty ridiculous, I know! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Yarosuav said:

if I should get the BP instead of silver

If you are looking for a sign - this is it! Get it! I shoot with it by day and worship it on a shrine made of finest Hermes leather by night.
But seriously, I never thought I would get so hooked up on BP. I am now after an analog M with black paint as well.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The BP is a thing of beauty, that's for sure. Considering it my forever camera at this point, though I'm sure the 11, 12, 13, 14 etc will all be lust worthy. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The BP is a thing of beauty, that's for sure. Considering it my forever camera at this point, though I'm sure the 11, 12, 13, 14 etc will all be lust worthy. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That is indeed lovely :) 

OK, here is my opinion. You already have a M10 so no hurry. Wait until the M11 appears and decide then. I own the m10r and really like it, but I also liked the M10 and I am sure I would/will like the M11 when it appears. If you feel you don't want to wait ... my experience with M10r is very good.

1 hour ago, Yarosuav said:

Veering off topic here. Is there a tactile difference between the regular black and the black paint? Or is it mostly the look?

If not initially, there likely will be when the paint inevitably rubs off. I find it interesting that many who love the black paint, love it even more when it turns gold.  

Jeff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I find it interesting that many who love the black paint, love it even more when it turns gold.  

A love I never quite understood.  I still can't see why a working tool with a less durable finish should attract so much desire.  If you have antique japanese lacquer you protect it and cherish it, and never take it out into the rain or the battlefield.  The lacquer is lovely, and part if its charm is its fragility.  But a camera?  It beats me! I'll stick with a working tool that has a workperson-like unfussy, black chrome finish... 🤨   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

A love I never quite understood.  I still can't see why a working tool with a less durable finish should attract so much desire.  If you have antique japanese lacquer you protect it and cherish it, and never take it out into the rain or the battlefield.  The lacquer is lovely, and part if its charm is its fragility.  But a camera?  It beats me! I'll stick with a working tool that has a workperson-like unfussy, black chrome finish... 🤨   

I agree - i think they look lovely, but I would understand on the MP, a camera that I am planning to keep as long as I can hold it. On a digital camera, I am not so sure. if I was to buy my first 10-r, maybe, but trading my existing one for a BP does not make much sense (to me)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

Well Chris, the difference is that for many a Leica M isn't a "working tool", more of an object of desire, a thing of beauty in the eye of the beholder maybe, but a working tool? Not so much in most part. A shiny Estwing hammer to be admired rather than to drive nails.

Edited by petermullett
correction

4 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

Agree… plus I just don’t like the look of the black and brass…the antithesis for me of the lovely black finish that attracts in the first place.  My M8.2 was black paint, but less glossy, and lasted years without rubbing off and without babying.

Jeff

1 hour ago, petermullett said:

Well Chris, the difference is that for many a Leica M isn't a "working tool", more of an object of desire, a thing of beauty in the eye of the beholder maybe, but a working tool? Not so much in most part. A shiny Estwing hammer to be admired rather than to drive nails.

In 1965 I was sent to a hardware store to collect a set of tools for my apprenticeship. The store had a scale for weighing out things per pound like nails etc. When it came time to pick a hammer the owner took three to the scale. A dandy looking Estwing with a leather handle, a Plumb with a wooden handle and a Stanley with a wooden handle. All 16oz. hammers. The Estwing was a total weight of 16 ounces. The other two weighed more due to the head being 16 ounces in weight. He told me the Estwing looked good but not as effective when I was going to have to swing it all day long. A lesson I never forgot. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 5:58 PM, sarav said:

consider M11 needs some debugging when dispatched and will be optimal...probably in a year? ...or more? Maybe with the P version in 3 years.

M10R is the pinnacle of M10 era and it's almost bug-free...now!

Wait three years for the M11P?  By the three year mark, the M12 will soon arrive on the scene and then you'll have to start the whole process over!! 😱