M10 R or M11?

kengai

33 minutes ago, kengai said:

I have the M10, but I find the touch on the M10 P useful. Then there's the M10 R to complicate life!
Hence the question M10 R or better to wait for the M11?

How long can you wait? It will likely be launched at the beginning of 2022, with availability probably low for at least six months.
M10R is an excellent camera, and you can probably get it now. I expect M11 to be better.

3 hours ago, kengai said:

I have the M10, but I find the touch on the M10 P useful. Then there's the M10 R to complicate life!

Keep your M10 and wait for M11. After it is released and specs confirmed, you can decide which way to go. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Yarosuav said:

I would definitely get the M10-R, and then upgrade to M11 when it comes out. Life is too short not to get the latest and greatest camera you want…  

I tend to agree with this new wisdom of our forum.

Something must change 👿.

19 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I tend to agree with this new wisdom of our forum.

Something must change 👿.

The OP asked for our opinions. My opinion is just that: an opinion… You may disagree with it, and post your own. My post was actually not sarcastic (and I put my own money where my mouth is).

Let’s be honest: there are no Joe McNally’s on this forum - just gear addicted amateurs. Nothing wrong with a man (and somehow I think we’re predominantly men here) wanting a new camera… 

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see what new truly significant features the M11 will deliver compared to M10-R - if anything. However,  I personally think that the M10 Monochrom and M10-R (when paired with Leica lenses) deliver the absolute best in digital photography right now. You can not go wrong with buying M10 Monochrom or M10-R if you want to have a modern digital camera.

Edited by ppkarppi

Guest Nowhereman
4 hours ago, Yarosuav said:

I would definitely get the M10-R, and then upgrade to M11 when it comes out. Life is too short not to get the latest and greatest camera you want…  

The idea that any Leica "upgrade" camera should be bought, in turn, leaves me cold. Also the consumerist idea that "Life is too short not to get the latest and greatest camera you want". There is the obvious issue of exercising judgment of whether one needs any particular upgrade. 

For example, when the M240 came out, I had no interest in getting that, as I preferred the M9 and, subsequently, the M10. Right now, I have no interest in getting the M10-R to to replace the M10, and will eventually see whether I want the M11.

30 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

The idea that any Leica "upgrade" camera should be bought, in turn, leaves me cold. Also the consumerist idea that "Life is too short not to get the latest and greatest camera you want". There is the obvious issue of exercising judgment of whether one needs any particular upgrade. 

For example, when the M240 came out, I had no interest in getting that, as I preferred the M9 and, subsequently, the M10. Right now, I have no interest in getting the M10-R to to replace the M10, and will eventually see whether I want the M11.

Another irrelevant post. Obviously nobody really “needs” an upgrade. If you’re happy with your M9 or whatever, then stick to it and move right along instead of wasting time on this thread… OP asked for an option - I offered one, that’s all. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, kengai said:

It depends on how long you are willing to wait.

From what we know at the moment, the M11 drop has been pushed back to December, for whatever reason.  There is no guarantee that it won't be pushed back further.  Once the M11 drops, it will take pretty much a year from that date - or perhaps 9 months, if we are lucky - before the M11 will be readily available. 

Based on what we know, the M11 will be a blockbuster of a camera.  It's going to be a while before they are actually available, though. 

4 hours ago, ppkarppi said:

It will be interesting to see what new truly significant features the M11 will deliver compared to M10-R - if anything. However,  I personally think that the M10 Monochrom and M10-R (when paired with Leica lenses) deliver the absolute best in digital photography right now. You can not go wrong with buying M10 Monochrom or M10-R if you want to have a modern digital camera.

The M10-M is indeed giving me a little GAS at the moment.  I don't have the M10-R since I bought the 10-D this year and will be happy with that for 2-3 years I expect.  Whether or not I buy the 10-M I probably won't be ready to upgrade the D until the spin-off models of the 11 come out eg 11-P , hopefully a D.   So I'm happy with this position despite having 'only' one digital M atm.  

Perhaps if my 10-D ever needs a repair / extended time away it will push me into grabbing a second digital, which at this point would certainly be the M 

Edited by grahamc

10 hours ago, kengai said:

What’s lacking in the M10 for you?  Why change? The M10-P and M10-R changes are known, and can be verified by demo.  The M11 doesn’t exist, and probably won’t until well into next year.  

Pretty simple really, if you’re trying to solve actual practical issues; not so much if it’s just GAS.

Jeff

• Like 1

Every new camera has a learning curve, no matter how similar it is to the previous model. For me, it would not make sense to spend time getting used to the M10 R and having it replaced within a year by another camera that I have to get used to. But that’s just me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, roma said:

Every new camera has a learning curve, no matter how similar it is to the previous model. For me, it would not make sense to spend time getting used to the M10 R and having it replaced within a year by another camera that I have to get used to. But that’s just me.

Yes, maybe learning curve can be much shorter for some.

Myself, since M8 to M10 passing by so many M, each learning curve was very short ... reading the short manual, then practice a bit to better know the new M.

In my case, I just take what I need in the new M, experiment if the new M needed new process or not.

These Ms are so similar and simple in use 😉.

In most of time, learning curve needed a couple of days, then if I had some more requirements, the 'short' manual is there (or maybe forums can help).

Note:

I use also Nikon, Sony, Canon, so when I pick Leica M, the 'menu' is so simple that I don't have to 'relearn' as other brands full of features.

Edited by a.noctilux

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Yes, maybe learning curve can be much shorter for some.

Myself, since M8 to M10 passing by so many M, each learning curve was very short ... reading the short manual, then practice a bit to better know the new M.

The learning curve, AFAIC, has little to do with controls or shooting parameters. Certainly nothing that's detailed in the manual. It has to do with understanding how the camera exposes in given lighting situations, deals with shadows and highlights, what sort of color profiles it produces and what tweaks are required, how each of my lenses tend to draw in high and low contrast situations, etc, etc.  Coming from the M10, My initial impression of the M10-R was a little mixed, until I had spent time understanding how to work the files on the back end, both for screen and print. Being able to see a final result and knowing largely how a given exposure will be processed before the shutter is ever released is something, for me, that is not typically possible before I've shot many hundreds of frames with any new camera. These things take time and energy.

• Like 4