Laser engraving black paint Leicas

Al Brown

• 1 month later...

Well, since NOBODY from the community did it - I even contacted Mr. Douglas So who wrote the "Black Paint Leica" book and he never did it either - I listened to the reassuring words of my professional engraver and bit the bullet on my Leica M10-R
Perfect results (3 passes) and no cracks whatsoever. Painted the exposed brass white with arcylic paint.
This is one of the engravings on the camera with my initials - bottom plate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:28 AM, Al Brown said:

Well, since NOBODY from the community did it - I even contacted Mr. Douglas So who wrote the "Black Paint Leica" book and he never did it either - I listened to the reassuring words of my professional engraver and bit the bullet on my Leica M10-R
Perfect results (3 passes) and no cracks whatsoever. Painted the exposed brass white with arcylic paint.
This is one of the engravings on the camera with my initials - bottom plate.

Is your rangefinder still aligned? 🤞

3 hours ago, dkmoore said:

Is your rangefinder still aligned? 🤞

Absolutely, it is a LASER engravement, it causes absolutely no physical shock, stress or movement to the body (unlike regular engravement).

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing. I would love to see a couple more shots of the engravings, if you'd be willing to share. Also a link to the service and pricing? I have an M10-R Black Paint and been thinking about this too. Did you have to provide vector files of the fonts / engravings? 

Very cool stuff, thanks again, 

Mihai 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pptmstr said:

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing. I would love to see a couple more shots of the engravings, if you'd be willing to share. Also a link to the service and pricing? I have an M10-R Black Paint and been thinking about this too. Did you have to provide vector files of the fonts / engravings? 

Very cool stuff, thanks again, 

Mihai 

Here is one more shot from the back of my M10-R.
It is still a mystery that nobody here from the community did a laser engraving on their black paint Leicas. I thought this would be as frequent as the engravings on the regular anodized cameras. Regular "old school" engraving I have seen, but I did not want to do it on my camera, especially not near the rangefinder in order to not push it out of alignment. Laser was the only option here but some folks had theories about cracks in BP etc.
I used my trusty local engraver, he has done my M240 silver before and he reassured me that the BP is perfectly OK to hit with laser.
I provided him the SVG vectors and we picked the exact spot and dimensions for each engraving. There were 3 laser passes per engraving to reach the camera brass and make the grooves of the engraved text as thin as possible yet deep enough to hold the acrylic white paint I carefully applied afterwards. The total cost for three engravings was under 50 euros.
Just speak to any trustworthy engraver with experience, they will surely do this "a la carte" surgery for you.
Just a disclaimer: for me, this is my tool for daily use and I want it to look exactly like this.... not a care in the world for resale value. YMMV of course.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 6:57 AM, Al Brown said:

It is still a mystery that nobody here from the community did a laser engraving on their black paint Leicas......I used my trusty local engraver......I provided him the SVG vectors and we picked the exact spot and dimensions for each engraving...Just speak to any trustworthy engraver with experience, they will surely do this "a la carte" surgery for you...

Interesting to see the Swedish 'Three Crown' logo. Would you care to enlighten us, Al?

As it happens I was intending to do this sort of thing when I was looking out for a Silver-Chrome M Monochrom (it was mentioned it in a thread at the time).

In my case I was going to have my signature engraved plus a few small details and had got as far as having sourced my engraver, prepared the artwork and had it all priced and ready to go as soon as I found a suitable body. Unfortunately - in terms of having done all this preparation - when I did find 'my' S-C M Mono it had been fabricated as part of the A la Carte program and already had the classic Leica script (etc.) on the top-plate so my plans went out the window.

If I ever do get a 'Plain-Top' Leica I will almost certainly carry out these plans.

Philip.

40 minutes ago, pippy said:

Interesting to see the Swedish 'Three Crown' logo. Would you care to enlighten us, Al?

Just some very private family military history thingy. Well spotted. You can see it both engraved and in real life here on this image from Malmö. Of course the engraving is a genuine Brandt logo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1