M10-R without a strap

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How many of you carry M cameras without any strap? I bought the Oberwerth M bag and having M10-R inside with the original leather strap, I found it more annoying than useful as I have now camera strap and the bag strap. Of course, I'd shoot myself if I ever drop the camera, even though it never happen to me before with any camera (unlike with the phones which I drop very frequently).

I still have the strap on my camera, but I'm thinking taking it off. Would love to hear the opinions, and experiences of people who never use straps.

I use the Leica wrist strap 18783 with my M10 and put the camera in a Billingham 72 between shots. The wrist strap is relatively tight. I like it this way because there is no chance that my hand slips out and it helps stabilizing the camera. I used shoulder straps for many years but got tired of them for two reasons: 1) I don't want to (appear to) show off my camera and therefore like to stow it away when not in use. 2) I am tall (99th percentile) and therefore need a long shoulder strap to carry the camera across the body. Long straps tend to take lots of space in the bag.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

How many of you carry M cameras without any strap? I bought the Oberwerth M bag and having M10-R inside with the original leather strap, I found it more annoying than useful as I have now camera strap and the bag strap. Of course, I'd shoot myself if I ever drop the camera, even though it never happen to me before with any camera (unlike with the phones which I drop very frequently).

I still have the strap on my camera, but I'm thinking taking it off. Would love to hear the opinions, and experiences of people who never use straps.

How do you like the Oberwerth M bag?

I bought the Oberwerth Q bag for my Q2M but still using Ona Bowery for the M10-R.. thinking to replace it with the Ober as I really like the Ober Q.

Answering your question.. when the M10 is in the bag I use a wrist strap (I never let the camera hang on it, it is just for security) as I also find to cumbersome using a full length strap in a bag.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hirohhhh,   In my much younger years, I would use a neck strap.  That lasted about 3 years after I decided the strap was a pain in the neck.  I went to using a wrist strap and never looked back for my M and SL cameras.  Even when I used the S cameras, I used a wrist strap when I was in hazardous terrain or conditions.  A comfortable wrist strap will do the trick and not be a pain in the neck.  For the M camera, I use a Rock n Roll wrist strap that looks like a piece of climbers rope...(probably is just that too).  That with the Leica handgrip for the M10-M and I am good to go.  When I am done, it goes in the Billingham bag.  You have lots of choices; I am certain you will find one that works for you.  r/ Mark

I still use the old faithful Leica 14312 strap for my M bodies, typically worn over the shoulder; discreet, sturdy and comfortable without slipping. No neck pain and no cross body visibility. I rarely carry a bag when out shooting with an M; one of the benefits of the compact body and lenses. But this strap takes up very little room in a bag, easily wrapping around the lens. A light jacket in inclement weather covers and conceals the camera, which is still easily accessible for quick lift to eye. The strap can also be comfortably wrapped around the wrist if desired.  Leica had it right with this strap years ago, still working on newer bodies, although I added a small round leather protector (from a Leica store) around each camera lug to protect the top plate on M10 versions, which no longer have the plastic protectors.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 3

Mmmm, never. The CL I am using a wriststrap. I use Upstraps (now go by the name Journeyman I believe). Finally got around to replacing a fifteen year old one, not because it wa worn out, I just wanted to try the newer model. It's the only strap that grips firmly and securely to your shoulder so you don't shrug that side as much. I've tried others but they slip and it's constantly worrisome. The thin model for M's etc. I keep my straps about 38-40 inches. 

I never go totally strapless: my CL has a wrist strap, and my SL2-S a hand strap. When I had a M240 I used a wrist strap. I have just reacquired a M, a M4 this time, and have put a Leica standard nylon & rubber neck strap on it for the moment. I don't expect to go out with more than just the one lens, so I'm thinking of getting a Domke canvas pouch for my belt and using a wrist strap again. I have an unused PD leash but I'm not that fond of it*; I like the A&A silk straps (on the CL) and similar cord types.

Even though I always use a long strap across the body, I don't find the practicalities comfortable: in this climate I usually have a gilet, jacket or waterproof to put on or take off and one way or another a camera on a long strap meets resistance when I swing it up to take a shot. 

* I know others like them, but I mistrust the fine anchor loop. They are supposed to be strong, but I suspect I would not notice any wear, so if failure did occur it would be instant and unexpected. At least a split ring or similar is easier to inspect.

I have a couple of different things I do, but never do I walk around with my M untethered!

For me, it’s just such an easy way to avoid heartache.  I am frequently in places where were I to drop the camera (or anything else) it would be gone forever.  It‘s a no brainer.  Ditch the camera bag.

I’ve only ever dropped a camera once. It was several years ago at a wedding I was photographing and it happened because I work with two camera bodies and I use a double Spyder Holster with Peak Design hands straps (I think they call it a ‘Clutch’ or something) which is far more convenient to use without getting tangled up in camera straps.  In the heat of the moment, I missed the holster attachment and the camera and lens (a Nikon D4 and 24-70 f2.8) fell from hip height onto a carpeted floor and the lens broke in half, as they do. I still use the double Spyder Holster with my Nikon dslr wedding cameras, but I have always used a Deadcameras Slim Strap across my body with my Leica MP. These straps are thin and not very bulky, so take up little room in a bag.  If I had to carry my MP in my hand or repeatedly put it in a bag between using it, a), it would just annoy me and b), increase the risk of dropping it.

I think it's up to user and situation, strap, wriststrap, or cord.

No one solution for all 🤢

Or when the camera is created for use in a case/half case ...

The only digital Leica I know of without strap lug is M Edition 60,

since Leica II, so long ago, every Leica has strap lugs, so it's no brainteaser, it's up to customer to use or not.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have "0" Replica without lug

even my "II" transformed from "I" has none

my universal wriststrap is old screw-in 1/4" like here even usable under Rapidwinder, Leicavit M, wonderful

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

The secret a lot of photographers employ is to buy a bag that's big enough for both the camera and its strap 😉

Edited by 250swb

Sometimes, I use custom made (all by myself ! ) leather wriststrap tailored to the precise use situation,

as here I need to use most of time in vertical and original strap attached at right would be in the way, so

with a handy place for my last digit to better hold the M-A 😉

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

However, in many setup,

the original nylon strap is so handy to use as it was created for

Edited by a.noctilux