Leica Summicron-m 90mm F2, limited or not? Rare? Help Me

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good evening everyone,
forgive my English, it's not great and I'll try to explain myself better.
I am writing to you because for days I have been looking for information about a lens that I have purchased and of which I cannot find any information.

Apparently a Summicron-m 90mm F2 made in Canada, from the serial number produced in 1966, black, with a preselector to manage the aperture of the diaphragms.
From what I have read, in 1966 black products, but I do not find anything with the preselector and many mechanical and aesthetic details do not coincide
Can you help me? Do you have any more information that you can give me?
Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Paolo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Paul Hendrix

Van Hasbroeck in his guide mentions the preset diaphragm as “probably “ supplied only on special order for use on a Visoflex, in a short mount. Lager also describes it as “recommended “ if the lens is to be used on the Visoflex, also that it appears to have ended availability in late 1964, but yours is later and not in a short mount at present. His book also illustrates six different designs of the 90mm Summicron, as at the date of publication in 1979.

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Thanks 1

I see these more often in chrome.  I wouldn't consider those ones as "rare", but not common.  Can't remember a black preset, but never trust my memory.  Have a feeling not "rare" as in high collector value.  

I might have a chrome preset, need to dig it out for the viso.   Very functional in that configuration.

• Thanks 1

There is a lot of different versions

First issue, with different scalloping, with the preselection.

in the black version there are also different lens look at the aperture ring one on the right, the other on the left

have to look with the selection ring on black I' m sure I have, not too rare I will say.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lager on his book on lenses displays a black Summicron , in short mount for Viso, with s/n 1680770 (1959) : from the picture, the lenshead looks identical to yours.

Moving some years later... US catalog of 1968 lists 11032 as Summicron lenshead in black with preset diaphragm (and 16462 as focusing mount for Viso - also for Elmarit 135 lenshead); the "normal" Summicron in long mount apparently (catalog image) has not the preset diaphragm.

The "missing" item in the catalog is the long mount alone... it is listed as 14019 in a 1961 catalog, though (14017 for screw mount) ... unspecified if black or chrome...

I think is a not common one of the many varitaions of the Summicron... anyway, listed or not, I think that having the lenshead one could provide someway the long mount... in case as a spare, maybe

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your kindness and for giving me your time.

It is really exciting and curious to try to find out this thing.

2 hours ago, jc_braconi said:

There is a lot of different versions

First issue, with different scalloping, with the preselection.

in the black version there are also different lens look at the aperture ring one on the right, the other on the left

have to look with the selection ring on black I' m sure I have, not too rare I will say.

However, there are things on a temporal and mechanical level that do not add up.
I have seen that for Visoflex the Oerdo version is identical to the head of this and the Silver version, but this obviously is not for visoflex.
The Silver version is older than this, if as Pyrogallol says the preselector lasted until 64, this is a few years late.
Could it be some assembly of necessity?

I still thank everyone for their kindness

A possible hipotesis : the preset facility was available also as an accessory (INVOO - according to Lager, listed until 1974 - so well into years of "black only Summicrons 90") : to say, it could have been added after lens' delivery (the box, in my opinion, is a standard one for "long" Summicron... the short mount  or lenshead -only version I think had a smaller one) 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:09 PM, Paul Hendrix said:

this obviously is not for visoflex

Paul, I don't know what you mean.  The lens head can be unscrewed from the focusing mount from any of these lenses shown, and the lens head can be used in either a long mount or a short Visoflex mount as the user desires.  Short mounts are listed in the catalog.  Long mounts surely could be ordered separately even if not listed in the catalog.

2 hours ago, zeitz said:

... Long mounts surely could be ordered separately even if not listed in the catalog.

Confirm : found a german catalog - 1968 - more complete than the contemparary US' one I quoted before : 14019 listed as long mount for Summicron 90 lenshead - black

(btw.. lenshead alone - no focusing mount - can also be mounted on Bellows II through the 16598 ring)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

13 hours ago, zeitz said:

Paul, I don't know what you mean.  The lens head can be unscrewed from the focusing mount from any of these lenses shown, and the lens head can be used in either a long mount or a short Visoflex mount as the user desires.  Short mounts are listed in the catalog.  Long mounts surely could be ordered separately even if not listed in the catalog.

Yes you are right, I have been informed of this, it is probably stuck, I cannot unscrew it.

You can use rubber bands wrapped around on each part surely it 'll come.

Some short mount on Visoflexes 

• Like 1