Invisible Camera Appears at Tamarkin Auction

I noticed you stayed away from the Sabre gunstock.  The Leica Photographica Auction had one, the Weztlar Auction had one, and now the Tamarkin Auction.  There is also one on e-bay.  I plan to post about these 1950's era gunstocks after the auction season is over because I don't want to interfere in the auctions.  Dan Tamarkin says in his catalog "Made in 1956-1957 by a Leica parts supplier".  It is the first time I have seen that statement; such a statement needs to be backed up with a source.  The 1956-1957 part of the statement is clearly wrong.

Another interesting thing - a pre-production Summarit 50 f/1.4 from late 1957 or early 1958 (Canada made) with S/M 1234567 surfaces at Tamarkin auction with an an estimate of $10,000-$15,000, yet a prototype Summarit M 5cm f/1.4 from 1958 (German made) is also at Leitz Photographica auction (have seen it in Wetzlar in person) starting for $60,000...

4 hours ago, zeitz said:

I noticed you stayed away from the Sabre gunstock.  The Leica Photographica Auction had one, the Weztlar Auction had one, and now the Tamarkin Auction.  There is also one on e-bay.  I plan to post about these 1950's era gunstocks after the auction season is over because I don't want to interfere in the auctions.  Dan Tamarkin says in his catalog "Made in 1956-1957 by a Leica parts supplier".  It is the first time I have seen that statement; such a statement needs to be backed up with a source.  The 1956-1957 part of the statement is clearly wrong.

I am aware of the arguments over and the lineage of the Sabre gunstock. I see them as US items. They are far from being the most valuable gunstock items. When I was at the Westlicht Auction in Wetzlar in 2014 a woman from China sitting right beside me bought a pre-war gunstock item for at least €300,000. 

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Another interesting thing - a pre-production Summarit 50 f/1.4 from late 1957 or early 1958 (Canada made) with S/M 1234567 surfaces at Tamarkin auction with an an estimate of $10,000-$15,000, yet a prototype Summarit M 5cm f/1.4 from 1958 (German made) is also at Leitz Photographica auction (have seen it in Wetzlar in person) starting for $60,000...

I met the Leitz Auction people in Wetzlar and saw the items on display and my next article will deal with their auction. I had not intended to cover this item in my Leitz Auction article, though, as I found others that were more interesting . Jim Lager records that there were some f1.4 Summarits,  but does not record where they were made. Mandler may have also been involved, so it would not be surprising if both Canadian prototype/ test items existed. The market will decide on the prices.

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the "Summarit 1,4" coincidence at the Wien auction is curios... and btw also them, as Tamarkin, have some 1,2 Noctiluxes... 

(and for lovers of chromes as me... 😁... wow for the Wien's "rifled" Olympia Sonnar 😎)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

16 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

"rifled" Olympia Sonnar

The rifled Olympia Sonnar is indeed rare and valuable.  It is arguably right there in price with the Leica NY RIFLE.

Did anyone notice the sudden emergence of three GOI rifle and reflex housing items in the June Leitz Auction and the October Wetzlar Auction?  I don't think these have ever been seen before (outside of Russia?).

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

and for lovers of chromes as me... 😁... wow for the Wien's "rifled" Olympia Sonnar 😎)

This item was on display in the Leica Classic Store in Wetzlar when I was there. It is a lovely item, but quite compact too.

1 hour ago, zeitz said:

The rifled Olympia Sonnar is indeed rare and valuable.  It is arguably right there in price with the Leica NY RIFLE.

Did anyone notice the sudden emergence of three GOI rifle and reflex housing items in the June Leitz Auction and the October Wetzlar Auction?  I don't think these have ever been seen before (outside of Russia?).

For me, the most interesting item is the Salyut Space Camera. I have already presented this in a Zoom for some British Collectors. One of them had the Kiev Arsenal Hasselblad copy camera on which this was based. There is a growing interest in FSU cameras and it is no surprise that FSU Rifle cameras are starting to appear. The prices which some FSU cameras can fetch is rising rapidly. It is an area, though, where fakes have been common in the past. There is a need for centres of expertise on FSU cameras. Soviet Cams and other sites are good, but there is a need for something more substantial with better quality photos of the items. There is a tendency to think of the Soviet camera industry as just producing cheap Leica and Contax copies, but they produced a lot more than that, including some innovative designs, like the FED Macro lens which I posted about on this forum earlier today.

William 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NigelG said:

I downloaded the catalogue to view the invisible camera but I couldn’t see it...😉

(Sorry - somebody needed to say the punchline to the thread title!)

There is also a mystery about two ‘house painting’ type brushes that appear in one of the lots - the KS 15A set. In the article I asked for suggestions about what they might be for. 

William 

I have one in my darkroom for coating liquid emulsion onto paper for real handmade prints !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

in the boxes of the instrumentssurveyors took with them outside brushes were common to wipe of sand and dust

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1