Panasonic 16-35 or Sigma 14-24

PaoloI.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello my first topic here, I have bought and Sl2 some days ago and I would like to buy a wide angle zoom lens. Leica 16.35 amazing but of budget I don't use this lens so often to justify the price I prefer buy the 35 f2 SL. Someone of you use the Panasonic or Sigma? The sigma wins for 14mm instead of 16 and the aperture 2.8 versus F4, but comparing to Panasonic I should buy the 150mm filter which are expensive and huge.

Thanks for your help!

30 minutes ago, PaoloI. said:

Hello my first topic here, I have bought and Sl2 some days ago and I would like to buy a wide angle zoom lens. Leica 16.35 amazing but of budget I don't use this lens so often to justify the price I prefer buy the 35 f2 SL. Someone of you use the Panasonic or Sigma? The sigma wins for 14mm instead of 16 and the aperture 2.8 versus F4, but comparing to Panasonic I should buy the 150mm filter which are expensive and huge.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the Forum. I have the Sigma 14-24mm, it's an excellent lens you will not be disappointed.   Not sure I understand your comment re 150mm filter, the Sigma has a rear filter holder  for attaching gel filters at the lens mount. You can't or shouldn't mount a filter on the front due to the curvature of the front element.

Edited by michali

I have the Sigma as well. The practical difference between the two is their size and speed. The Sigma is huge and heavy, the Panasonic is small and light. Also, the Panasonic has a manual focus clutch, which can be an advantage for video.

As you figured-out, the Sigma will need huge filters if you want to put anything in front of the lens. You can put filters behind in a gel holder, but then you are limited to ND or Wratten gels.

Others have reported that the Panasonic is an excellent lens.

5 hours ago, michali said:

Welcome to the Forum. I have the Sigma 14-24mm, it's an excellent lens you will not be disappointed.   Not sure I understand your comment re 150mm filter, the Sigma has a rear filter holder  for attaching gel filters at the lens mount. You can't or shouldn't mount a filter on the front due to the curvature of the front element.

I think NiSi has a special 150mm filter holder designed to be used with this lens, but it's expensive. 

• Thanks 1

I had the Sigma and used it with a Pana S1, (now i have a sls2 and no sigma, nor S1, sold them).

The sigma is a beautiful lens! but:

- its 1424mm, and sometimes i felt like i needed more the 35mm or at least 28mm range that going wider than 16mm.

- its a heavy lens, but all l mount lenses are, (even though the 1635mm weights much less)

- Pulses like crazy in afc, yes images are sharp and in focus, but the experience is horrible, one of the main reasons i sold the lens. The S1 with the latest firmware upgrades had really brought down the pulsing with Pana lenses. The Pana 2470mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 24mm f1.8 had barely any noticeable pulsing, only when focusing on very close distances, so yes the difference was huge. Night and day. This for photo mode, i guess for video was even broader the gap.

- Sigma doesnt have the clutch, actually this is a benefit with leica cameras given you can use back focus button, with pana clutch lenses is not possible.

- Not sure about focus throw setting with leica and pana lenses, with the pana camera i could set the focus throw of my pana lenses, with sigma lenses was not possible, you need a dock.

If you dont mind about the pulsing or are only planning to use AFS, (and need the focal), is a great lens, but if i had to buy it again i would rather go for the Panasonic.

Below some images with the S1 and the sigma 1424mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A critical decision is whether or not you will use a full frame image 14mm.   One of the things that 14mm gives you the ability to capture a full primary rainbow as shown here. The extreme angle comes with the geometric distortion recognizable in the shape of the house in the lower right corner.   Even at 14mm I could not capture the full arc of the outer rainbow.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I just purchased the Sigma 14-24 to go with my SL VE 24-90.  While I have the 150mm front adapter filter kit from my time with the Nikkor 14-24 and did a lot of long exposure images it has become too cumbersome to use and the ND glass is stupid expensive. 

I won't use this FL as much as my other focal lengths and therefore, can not justify the cost of the SVE 16-35.  I do think the SL lens are the best choices, but at some point cost per use comes into play at least for me.  I am retired and I can afford the 16-35, but I feel the 14-24 will do just fine for my needs. I also have some Voigtlander VM glass and Zeiss VM glass in that range also that I want to keep.  The L mount Sigma 14-24 arrives Monday so I have a 30 day window to send it back if I am not happy with the IQ and color of the output.  So, we will see.

• 10 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 6:59 PM, Manual_Focus said:

I just purchased the Sigma 14-24 to go with my SL VE 24-90.  While I have the 150mm front adapter filter kit from my time with the Nikkor 14-24 and did a lot of long exposure images it has become too cumbersome to use and the ND glass is stupid expensive. 

I won't use this FL as much as my other focal lengths and therefore, can not justify the cost of the SVE 16-35.  I do think the SL lens are the best choices, but at some point cost per use comes into play at least for me.  I am retired and I can afford the 16-35, but I feel the 14-24 will do just fine for my needs. I also have some Voigtlander VM glass and Zeiss VM glass in that range also that I want to keep.  The L mount Sigma 14-24 arrives Monday so I have a 30 day window to send it back if I am not happy with the IQ and color of the output.  So, we will see.

So in the end, you kept the lens ? happy ? or returned it ?