Panasonic S performance with rangefinder lenses (including images){merged}

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering if the older Leica-M Lenses still good enough for such a 47 mega pixel monster?
I'll post some picture every now and then and would appreciate you feedback. Click to view the photo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 + Elmarit-M 1:2.8/24 ASPH.

Edited by 01maciel
  • Like 1

M10 + Elmarit-M 1:2.8/24 ASPH.

• Like 1

I used the Elmarit-M 1:2.8/24 ASPH  on the S1 a lot and had nothing to complain about the corners. Compared it to images from the lens on the M240 and it was not a relevant difference.

Switched from S1 to S1R and when you now look at the corners in 100% it's not really good anymore. So if you need the S1R resolution for crops (digital zoom) then the corners might disappoint you. I don't use the lens on the S1R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They don't,  it will also depend on the lens, but must rangefinder lenses wider than 50mm won't work well on the s system. I had the s1 and the following rangefinder lenses:

- 24mm elmar, surprisingly it was sharp at corners, not as sharp as on the leica m, but sharp enough. Issue was it had a very strong color cast when shooting on sunny days,  could be corrected,  but was not always the case. 

- 28mm summicron v1, soft corners and once more the color cast issue

- 35mm skopar,  terrible corners, but no color issues.

Zeiss 35mm 1.4 zm, this lens is perfect on the m system, on s1 it was let's say, not worth the price...

And with the 50mm summliux preasph v2, this lens is not really that sharp on the m, and seems to work okay on the s1.

so unless you are looking for a specific look I would skip them or if possible test first....

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, 01maciel said:

Just wondering if the older Leica-M Lenses still good enough for such a 47 mega pixel monster?

This concept does not exist. A better lens will perform better on the same sensor, a better sensor will perform better on the same lens. Neither can outresolve the other. It is not a weakest link situation.
The corner problems with older rangefinder lenses have a few other causes than pixel count and are caused by the steep incidence angle of the light due to the non-telecentric design:

1. Refraction by the filter stack of the sensor mitigated by thinner filters.
2. Light loss by striking at an oblique angle mitigated by microlenses.
3. Colour shift  by crosstalk between sensels, mitigated by sensor type and design.

But not resolution.

Sharpness issues are often caused by curved focal planes which may well show up better on high-MP cameras, and on the M by the well-documented focus tolerance problems.

However, this is a useful thread ;) 

• Like 3

vor 5 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

However, this is a useful thread ;) 

👍   Thanks. Since I am not a pixel counter I don't care a lot about soft corners. The photo counts imho and I am a wide-open-boy:) . One of the pros of the camera are the IBIS, EVF and the missing AA filter. All of it can contribute to the IQ.

Today, I went out with the Summilux 35 pre asph. 40 years old but still a wonderful lens and I'm always astonished how well the lens performs regardless of the camera. In this case I am quite happy about the performance of the lens with the S1R.

S1R + Summilux 35 pre asph II

• Like 3

This is a good combo, handles and balances very well, especially compared to the CL. S5+150-600 @ 600 (what I bought it for)

Click for full resolution.

• Like 4

And an M lens:  The Super-Elmar 18. Quite satisfied here Just some vignetting correction - but it needs that anyway, further my standard processing. Click for best quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 01maciel said:

👍   Thanks. Since I am not a pixel counter I don't care a lot about soft corners. The photo counts imho and I am a wide-open-boy:) . One of the pros of the camera are the IBIS, EVF and the missing AA filter. All of it can contribute to the IQ.

Today, I went out with the Summilux 35 pre asph. 40 years old but still a wonderful lens and I'm always astonished how well the lens performs regardless of the camera. In this case I am quite happy about the performance of the lens with the S1R.

Used to had that lens, sadly i sold it, kind of regret doing it.... 

Never had the chance to use it on the s system, i did use it on the Sony a7ii, and to me results were really not good. This lens shined on m240 and m10, only reason i sold it was because of the close-up focusing distance and now i really regret it. Was like having two lenses in one, at 1.4 had this surreal glow, but as soon as you closed to 1.6 it was already sharp at the middle and at 2.0 it was crazy sharp corner to corner.

56 minutes ago, jaapv said:

And an M lens:  The Super-Elmar 18. Quite satisfied here Just some vignetting correction - but it needs that anyway, further my standard processing. Click for best quality.

That’s an encouraging start.

• Like 1

Stream with triple flares @f.4  1/10.000s, electr. shutter.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb gotium:

Nice effect sometimes anyway.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, Alberti said:

Is it a sign of an impeding end-of-life for this version,  just like the CL was phased out I guess last year, and the Leica Store offered their demo camera for € 1.200?

The S5 is barely fresh out of the factory, I can't see it being superceded by a new model just yet. Maybe another year or so. More like L mount sales aren't what they want, and they want more uptake so that people buy into the system. I'm happy with my S5, it works well with adapted manual focus and native autofocus lenses. Due to lockdown here, I haven't had much chance to really put it through its paces in a work or travel setting, but it's more than fine for everyday shooting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Archiver, you are right.  I downloaded some raw files, and in Lightroom they look awesome. Also Jaap's picture are great.

Yes I think it is great for M-glass; and also some vintage M-39 Jupiters that exhibit typical Sonnar focus shifts on the M-body. I assume the auto-exposure selection also works in the manual mode? The lenses designed for the Leica M5/film-CL should be great, because they have that medium retro-focus build.

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Panasonic S performance with rangefinder lenses (including images){merged}