NEW Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 for APS-C

wsself

Glad to see this.

I have the nice fast Sigma 56mm for the CL but it's really for theSL . I never got the Leica midrange zoom, but have the 11-23 and 55-135 which are excellent.

This is much faster than the Leica version and of course almost a quarter of the price. On the CL, I am more willing to use non Leica lenses.

• Like 2

Well I have pretty much made up my mind to be done with L mount, (that is not to buy anything new), but this looks interesting and having watched the lovely Snapchick use it on her SL2 I became tempted enough to place a pre-order.  I haven't quite worn out my 18-56 but it's had a lot of use and no doubt the constant 2.8 as we go through autumn into what will probably be a long dark wet winter again here in the uk,  will be good to have on the CL.

If you want to see some lovely images samples go search for Pav SZ on you tube - good review, great images.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The question comes for those of us with the TL18-56 as to whether the Sigma is worth adding?

I’ve got two additional questions: 1) At what point do both lenses start to show real sharpness in their images? 2) How does the Sigma compare for battery life? I have the Sigma 30 and 56 and both seem to draw more from the battery than the Leica lenses. I’m sure no one has tested this second question yet, but it would be useful to know.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to the dpreview test, there is a problem with longitudinal chromatic aberrations (see chapter "loca" of the test) that the TL 18-56 does not have.
Unfortunately this problem cannot be fixed in Lightroom.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/0177846968/dpreview-tv-sigma-18-50mm-f2-8-dc-dn-review

Guytou

Edited by Guytou

On 10/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, Shawn30 said:

Christopher Frost did a test and review on the Sony APSC camera.  I don't think the Sigma is on par with the TL 18-56

Well, it certainly blows the TL 18-56 out of the water at f2.8! ;)

Beyond that at 1/4th of the price of the Leica equivalent (and it would 1/8th the price if the Leica was a fixed 2.8) there's not a heck of a lot to complain about. Think I might pick one up for ski season. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I ordered one of these, I was going to get the 18-56 but, the aperture is so slow I decided not to get it, not to mention it's over 2K for a very sturdy and very sharp I'm sure.....kit lens.

I'm excited about it...Tiny, wide aperture walkaround? Perfect for hiking, traveling, daily wanderings...A little Lo CA ain't gonna get me down, a standard walkaround 2.8 zoom for under $600 and it fit's the gap in my 11-23/55-135. 

Can't wait. I heard drop date in Japan was Oct 29th...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

I ordered one of these, I was going to get the 18-56 but, the aperture is so slow I decided not to get it, not to mention it's over 2K for a very sturdy and very sharp I'm sure.....kit lens.

I'm excited about it...Tiny, wide aperture walkaround? Perfect for hiking, traveling, daily wanderings...A little Lo CA ain't gonna get me down, a standard walkaround 2.8 zoom for under $600 and it fit's the gap in my 11-23/55-135

Can't wait. I heard drop date in Japan was Oct 29th...

Exciting.  Feel free to write about your experiences with optics.  I also have 11-23 (35) and 55-135.So …. 😁 

The Sigma 18-50 is available UK now.  Mine arrived this afternoon, for anyone wondering how it looks compared to 18-56.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think weight difference is around 80g so barely noticeable, different direction to zoom ring but feels smooth, other than of course the available constant 2.8, the MFD of 12 cm compared to 30cm of the 18-56 could be very useful.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1