Q2M IBIS works at only 1/50th and slower?

1 hour ago, algrove said:

Did I read this correctly? Why not on for all SS?

As Hemmer wrote, it works on all shutter speeds, but there is an option to turn it off when necessary. Leica and some photographers believe that image stabilization can negatively affect image quality and should be turned off when not needed.
Also, Q2M does not have IBIS but OIS (it is not the sensor that stabilizes).

• Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb SrMi:

As Hemmer wrote, it works on all shutter speeds, but there is an option to turn it off when necessary. Leica and some photographers believe that image stabilization can negatively affect image quality and should be turned off when not needed.
Also, Q2M does not have IBIS but OIS (it is not the sensor that stabilizes).

That's right. Just hoping Q3 will come with IBIS (which doesn't affect IQ!) and a newly developed 28mm...

vor 39 Minuten schrieb panoreserve:

That's right. Just hoping Q3 will come with IBIS (which doesn't affect IQ!) and a newly developed 28mm...

Is that really true with IQ and OIS? I think of recent Canon technology where they combine IBIS with OIS. That is highly praysed and there is no discussion about turning off OIS or IBIS even on the tripod. I just want to be careful about what is a fact and what is not. With the Q/Q2 it might be rather about batery saving. With the 28mm lens in many situations no stabilisation is needed anyway and probably not at shuter speeds faster than 1/60s.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb M10 for me:

Is that really true with IQ and OIS? I think of recent Canon technology where they combine IBIS with OIS. That is highly praysed and there is no discussion about turning off OIS or IBIS even on the tripod. I just want to be careful about what is a fact and what is not. With the Q/Q2 it might be rather about batery saving. With the 28mm lens in many situations no stabilisation is needed anyway and probably not at shuter speeds faster than 1/60s.

Yes, it's true and no secret - especially in combination with wide angle lenses. 

vor 22 Minuten schrieb M10 for me:

Thank you. Have you a source? I am interested in reading about that issue.

I'm under permanent discussion with persons responsible at LEICA headquarters (Wetzlar, Germany) - not too far away from home😇... But, as I stated above, it's a well-known matter of fact and no "Hermetism".

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Hemmer:

Naaah....21mm pretty pls pls pls pls !!! (I know, wont ever gonna happen 😭)

It will happen, for sure😉. (As an aside: since I have the -fantastic- SL Apo 28, I have to admit I feel no longer the need of wider focal lenghts like 24 or 21mm...SL Apo's 28/50/90 are more than enough for me.)

6 hours ago, panoreserve said:

Yes, it's true and no secret - especially in combination with wide angle lenses. 

I do not know of any tests that confirm still image deterioration with OIS (or IBIS). Can you provide any links that demonstrate the degradation? The discussion of image degradation by OIS or IBIS is nothing new, but it generally has not been accepted as a fact, AFAIK.

In theory, it seems better to disable IBIS or OIS. In practice, I have not noticed any difference.

Edited by SrMi

vor 1 Stunde schrieb SrMi:

I do not know of any tests that confirm still image deterioration with OIS (or IBIS). Can you provide any links that demonstrate the degradation? The discussion of image degradation by OIS or IBIS is nothing new, but it generally has not been accepted as a fact, AFAIK.

In theory, it seems better to disable IBIS or OIS. In practice, I have not noticed any difference.

Image deterioration concerns solely OIS, NOT IBIS. 

Just now, panoreserve said:

Image deterioration concerns solely OIS, NOT IBIS. 

Do you have anything that confirms the deterioration with OIS? Is it specifically Q2's OIS?

asaiah posted in SL2 forum that he sees image deterioration with IBIS on. Still waiting for data that confirms it.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Camera manufacturers recommend turning image stabilization off when the camera is mounted on a tripod for reasons of image quality.  To quote from this B&H article on the subject ==> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/image-stabilization-when-to-use-it-and-when-to-turn-it-off

If you mount the camera on a tripod (or similar stable platform) without cutting the IS, you risk creating what’s called a feedback loop, in which the camera’s IS system essentially detects its own vibrations and starts moving around, even when the rest of the camera is completely still. This introduces motion objects to your camera system and brings with it blurriness. This is one of the key reasons to turn off image stabilization.

This very short article shows sample images where using image stabilization when on a tripod made the image worse.

https://photofocus.com/photography/quick-tip-turn-off-stabilization-when-using-a-tripod/

48 minutes ago, marchyman said:

Camera manufacturers recommend turning image stabilization off when the camera is mounted on a tripod for reasons of image quality.  To quote from this B&H article on the subject ==> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/image-stabilization-when-to-use-it-and-when-to-turn-it-off

This very short article shows sample images where using image stabilization when on a tripod made the image worse.

https://photofocus.com/photography/quick-tip-turn-off-stabilization-when-using-a-tripod/

I agree that it can be beneficial to turn off IBIS/OIS on tripod. However, here we are discussing potential image degradation when shooting handheld.

It would be very nice if there was an option to always engage the stabilisation when macro is in selected. The only time I really find it useful is for very close up shots, where you want stabilisation even with speeds above 1/60th. If you do not want to leave stabilisation always on, it is a pain to menu dive each time you engage the macro setting.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:30 AM, SrMi said:

I agree that it can be beneficial to turn off IBIS/OIS on tripod. However, here we are discussing potential image degradation when shooting handheld.

Are you claiming it is impossible to hand hold a camera steady enough for image stabilization to have a negative effect?  I don't know if I agree with that, but I have no proof.  You may be correct.

1 minute ago, marchyman said:

Are you claiming it is impossible to hand hold a camera steady enough for image stabilization to have a negative effect?  I don't know if I agree with that, but I have no proof.  You may be correct.

I have never seen any image degradation with IBIS/OIS when unnecessary due to fast shutter speed. Therefore, I never turn it off manually unless on a tripod.

AFAIK, Leica Q cameras are the only ones that have the automatic mode, where OIS is turned off if the shutter speed is fast enough. I wonder why and therefore keep the automatic OIS turned on :).

I could imagine that stabilization can have a negative effect, but I have never seen it demonstrated.

5 hours ago, Mark II said:

It would be very nice if there was an option to always engage the stabilisation when macro is in selected. The only time I really find it useful is for very close up shots, where you want stabilisation even with speeds above 1/60th. If you do not want to leave stabilisation always on, it is a pain to menu dive each time you engage the macro setting.

I have it in my custom menu set  so really quick to find

• Like 1