Buy without box?

TDK

Guest Nowhereman

I keep boxes but the problem is that I have them on three continents and, if I were selling a lens, would never know where the box was — and, if I knew, most of the time (2 out 3) the box of the lens that I wanted to sell would be on another continent. Happily, I rarely sell lenses. Though, right now, I'm about to sell my Summilux-35 FLE that I bought used, without box, a few years ago from a Leica Store in Paris in pristine condition, a state in which it still is.

The bottom line is I don't care about lens boxes and l and lens paperwork, and consider the whole matter trivial and absurd to worry about. What concerns me is the functional condition of the lens, and that it doesn't look oogly from wear and tear. There are a lot more weighty things in life to be concerned about. 

7 hours ago, NigelG said:

IMHO I think it depends on the item - if it’s a “collectors” item then it’s apparent from dealer pricing that it does makes a difference. For a 50 Lux ASPH not so much...

^ I think that this sums up the situation perfectly.

In fact just the boxes for certain rare items are sometimes priced for (IMO) silly sums of money because the item with even a 'non-matching number' box will be more attractive to a collector and will help the item to sell.

Everyday (relatively speaking) production items - especially those still in the model lineup - don't really fall into this category. Yet.

Philip.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i have never understood the obsession with boxes.  they are literally garbage after purchase and have no impact on image quality.  i have a closet full of boxes i would love to throw away, but fear a situation where i must sell something and some pedantic buyer will give me a hard time because i do not have a box.  it is not as if my gear is collector quality - i use it most days!

does anyone want to buy some leica boxes?  i have several for sale!

I sold a box on ebay a number of years ago. I think I'd forgotten that the used lens it came with actually had a box, and traded the lens on its own.

I can't remember the price I got for it, but it was a few 10s of pounds.

And no, I can't remember if I got more for lens and box separately than I would have done selling them together!

If there is likelihood of selling the lens then the box should be a consideration. I have sold a couple hundred grand of Leica gear and it ALWAYS sells faster with box and papers. (Buying and selling gear is a side hobby that came along with photography)

I've just bought a lens without a box - Summilux-M 50 pre-asph.

It came from a UK dealer that is new to me - West Yorkshire Cameras. The lens was delivered next day, well-wrapped, in excellent condition (as described), and came with two attractive freebies:

1. A facsimile manual for M5 and Leicaflex cameras (pity I only have the M4).
  2. Four Yorkshire teabags. (I'd choose these over a box any day.)

Their email communication is good value as well ("Champion! Tha' order #WYC#### is sorted.").
I have no connection with WY Cameras, but their website is worth adding to your list of s/h sources for Leica and other kit (including large format).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

It came from a UK dealer that is new to me - West Yorkshire Cameras.

Coincidentally I stumbled upon their website just last week as I am thinking of getting into large format and was looking for lens options.... good to know about the tea bags :)

• Like 1

Let's face it, it does not hurt if a lens comes with its original box and paperwork, if any, in particular if the lens is a high priced Leica lens, but not having the box won't change a lot, except if the lens is a strictly limited edition item. Else, if the lens is a regular production item, I'd buy it without the box any day, provided the lens is legitimate, in good working order and the price is right. 

Moreover, I supect that quite a few buyers of new lenses dispose of the boxes once they have unpacked their new lens. My wife would like me to do the same, but I keep telling her that we do not have to feed those boxes and they might eventually add to the resale value ... 🙂.

2 hours ago, wizard said:

Let's face it, it does not hurt if a lens comes with its original box and paperwork, if any, in particular if the lens is a high priced Leica lens, but not having the box won't change a lot, except if the lens is a strictly limited edition item. Else, if the lens is a regular production item, I'd buy it without the box any day, provided the lens is legitimate, in good working order and the price is right. 

Moreover, I supect that quite a few buyers of new lenses dispose of the boxes once they have unpacked their new lens. My wife would like me to do the same, but I keep telling her that we do not have to feed those boxes and they might eventually add to the resale value ... 🙂.

I guess that's not the same day you say in her hearing "....never sell a Leica lens......."!

• Haha 2

Guest BlackBarn

Packaging has become a science and possibly in some cases (eg Apple) an art. A lot of time is spent by the PhD’s of packaging in how to seduce the punter and that costs companies quite a bit but guess what? ….It’s seldom given away for free.

For sure I wish Leica sold their items placed carefully in paper bags and I walk out the store having payed x$ less. But they don’t and a market has grown where added value is perceived and realized with original boxes and paperwork along with other benefits in the negotiation dance of the second hand.

Can’t quantify it nor do I understand the silliness of it all but I play the game and as I have unused storage space, boxes and paperwork fill the void. If I am attracted to perceiving a camera or lens more than just a photo making tool and fall victim to a ‘collectors ‘ item, then coming with original box and papers is a must. Boxes and papers do inform my second hand buying decisions and yes I would pay more but hey ho, I have no shame in admitting I’m a boxaholic. 

I own the 50 APO.  That box is a colossal waste of space.  I wouldn't mind it it were like the old days.  When i owned the F1 noctilux, the box was simple - basically the size of the lens.  Now people complain if you don't have the box that the box comes in.  I recently bought the M10P.  The salesperson meticulously cut the tape on the outer box so as to not hurt the value...

• Thanks 1

Probably not a good indicator…l but I would not unless I understood why. 

to me it’s an indicator of how the equipment is / will be treated…. Not sure it’s any relevance but to me it’s an indicator.  I do know people who don’t keep boxes, they don’t have the room, or just no desire and they do maintain their equipment well. So in the end when buying used you have to feel comfortable 

• Like 1

I use my gear professionally, so if I can save a few bucks purchasing without a box I'll do it in a heartbeat. If I have a choice of a totally mint lens and one that's in excellent shape without a box, I'll go with the excellent one every time to save some money. In a few weeks of work a mint lens will grade as an excellent lens for me anyway. That said, if I have a box I will save it to help in resale down the road. Often times I end up selling the box separately since the condition of my gear would not make a difference between with a box or not.

Don't get me wrong. My gear is not abused, but with honest use it will show wear that dramatically effects the resale value (or the purchase value in my case).

• Like 2