Buy without box?

TDK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A friend of mine is selling his 50mm Summilux, which I'm interested in picking up as he's asking a good price.  However, the catch is he's not got the box or documentation as it was lost in a recent house move.

I know the lens is legitimate, in perfect condition as he's hardly used it, and only about a year old, but I guess not having the box and documentation will affect its value.  Consequently, he's asking for £2500, which is obviously a fair saving over the £3500 list price right now.

I'm not sure it's quite cheap enough.  Would you buy a lens without a box?

I'm another who doesn't care about whether the box is included in the sale.

It's nice if there is a box but if a lens is a good lens and the price is good price then AFAIC it's a good deal all-round.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

@TDK   A mint condition used 50mm Summilux at a savings of £1000?  I would snatch it up and not think twice. 

If the missing box, documents and leather zip case affects the resale or trade in value down the road, I seriously doubt that the loss of trade in value would be £1000 or more.  I would estimate it would be around £200 - probably less, given the cost of the leather zip case that comes with the lens. 

A replacement zip case for the 50 Summilux costs $70 USD (£51) new:  https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-leather-lens-case-for-summilux-m-50mm-f-1-4-asph-black-chrome-11688?variant=41346768144

I don't often see people out shooting with Leica M cameras, but when I do - they never have the box attached to the front of the camera... 😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, TDK said:

A friend of mine is selling his 50mm Summilux, which I'm interested in picking up as he's asking a good price.  However, the catch is he's not got the box or documentation as it was lost in a recent house move.

I know the lens is legitimate, in perfect condition as he's hardly used it, and only about a year old, but I guess not having the box and documentation will affect its value.  Consequently, he's asking for £2500, which is obviously a fair saving over the £3500 list price right now.

If box is important I'll sell you mine, mint condition, owned from new with a box & paperwork at mid price between &2500 and &3500 - only £3000, I'll throw in 46mm Leica UV filter into the deal.  Interested? 

• Like 1

Are you a fashionista...if so pass up the $ savings opportunity and never buy anything without its original packaging. If you're like me, unconcerned with those issues, and always on the lookout for a good deal, forget the box, buy the lens and enjoy taking pictures.

2 hours ago, TDK said:.  Consequently, he's asking for £2500, which is obviously a fair saving over the £3500 list price right now.

Lol…hahahah oh sorry lost control there…

To answer: yes.

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

I don't often see people out shooting with Leica M cameras, but when I do - they never have the box attached to the front of the camera... 😎

😅

Thanks all for your views.  I was obviously only concerned about the lack of box and documentation for potential resale purposes as I like to keep one eye to the future.  Never say never - I have, in the past, sold on a couple of lenses that I didn't use as frequently any more and have always had the boxes for them, so never considered this before.

3 hours ago, TDK said:

Yes. I think your friend is very generous if he's taking £1000 off because of a few "missing" bits of cardboard and paper.

Like others having written, I have bought many lenses without boxes or paperwork. I suppose it can be considered as a bonus by some people but personally I really don't care. It's just more clutter as far as I am concerned.

However, I've never been concerned about resale value when I buy a lens because at that time I have no intention of selling. But I suppose that really should be a consideration as we can all change our minds :)

I would go for it!

4 hours ago, TDK said:

Yes, I've bought numerous lenses and cameras without original boxes. The most important things are condition and price. The other things are nice to have for sure, but wouldn't be a deal breaker. Everything is relative to condition/price.

I'll be the contrarian in this thread and say that in general - notwithstanding the OP's friend being the known owner of the lens for sale in question - I would not buy and have not bought a used lens that didn't come complete with boxes and documents.  I'd gladly pay a premium for the boxes.

The type of owner that takes care of his/her gear and uses them carefully is usually the type of meticulous person that keeps the boxes also.  I've passed on all lenses I was shopping for that didn't come with their boxes and I'm glad to report that the three used Leica lenses that I've purchased recently were flawless - and boxed.

• Like 2

My Dad purchased his 50 1.2 Noctilux new in 1968 and I still have it to this day, and I also have its original bubble and box and paperwork, and I have been told that would add value if I were to sell it, which I will never do, but downstairs in a storage room I have this box stored in plastic bins full of many more Leica and Hasselblad lens and body boxes which take up 'far' too much room so quite soon many of them are getting tossed as what a mountain of cardboard that I 'never' touch. So I am in the camp that says grab the lens and enjoy it. The boxes are great for transport but thats about it. 

2 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

I'm glad to report that the three used Leica lenses that I've purchased recently were flawless

Mine too. However the sellers of my 83 year old Summar, 86 year old Thambar and 57 year old Tele-Elmarit seem to have temporarily missplaced the boxes and receipts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

IMHO I think it depends on the item - if it’s a “collectors” item then it’s apparent from dealer pricing that it does makes a difference. For a 50 Lux ASPH not so much.
For some of my rarer items I have kept the plain outer carton as well...🙄
FWIW when selling one special edition through Red Dot in London when I was in the UK, I went to the trouble of mailing the outer carton and silver box back from NYC where it was stored in a cupboard, and I think/hope it helped the sale.

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1