Lenses for Architecture

Alan J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seeking opinions, input, general ideas about visiting the great cities of Europe and beyond to capture Architecture.

Using M10M body,  just how wide is wide enought?

I have seen some interesting images in Prauge that seem to suggest quite wide. Looking to stay in a 2-3max lens kit.

3 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

Europeans cities are less dens than Hong-Kong or New York. 

Two options:

21SEM + Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50mm + MACRO90 

Or

24Elmar + 50cron

I was about to endorse this recommendation until I realized that architecture also includes interiors. So one of your lenses should be faster than the set suggested unless you plan to take a tripod. (Which I doubt)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although, with modern digital sensors, you can get away with jacking up the ISO quite substantially, so a slower lens isn't quite the problem it used to be in the days of film. (I used to use and R9 with a 28/2.8 PC and Fuji Reala 100, when really there was no alternative to a tripod.) 

• Like 1

Alan,

The most important would be trying the kit before departing.

- general suggestion , take the "less is more" philosophy, not easy at first...

two lenses would be "better choice" than three, even one would do (for the day ! )

- I do this for some years now when travelling : I took 3-4 lenses, but choose with care the kit for the day, the kit can be only one lens.

In my kit, I often include PC lens * if I fancy to mimic view camera to have it handy, not kind of Leica M use but funny

- not "natural choice", but I choose the other lenses after choosing the PC lens, more light gathering (F/1 to F2), long focal length (90/135/280/400) for interesting details

on architecture

* Super-Angulon-R 28mm, PC Nikkor 28/35 or Shift Zuiko 24mm to choose from with the right adapter

• Like 1