New Lens: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM

Mark T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, sarkleshark said:

Is it true?  Silver hood for silver lens?  Yes? Thanks!!

Yes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

BTW - I notice LeicaRumors now says Cosina will just barely ship the first of these in Nov. - on the 30th.

Missing the "Black Friday" X-mas shopping frenzy the day after our Thanksgiving in the USA.

And once the container ship gets in line behind the other 80-odd ships waiting off the Port of Long Beach......?

• 3 weeks later...

My copy turned up today, so not much experience with it yet. It is small and light enough, even if slightly heavier than the ‘thin’, but only slightly in the hand. The ‘thin’ rubber hood is quite a nice combo, even though the reversible bayonet hood that came with it would be technically better. I tried to get it to flare on a digicam, without hood, it shrugged off that test with disdain, but would not call my test authoritative by any means. Haptics are good, so will probably take over from the thin, but early days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Received the CV 90 apo-skopar today and got off a few shots, nothing very qualitative. Bokeh is nice, perfectly spherical OOF balls, almost no fringing. OOF is nice in either side of focus. Good corner sharpness at f2.8 at distance, haven't tested at portrait ranges. I think this is definitely a keeper. Slightly larger diameter than Tele-Elmarit but very similar, quite small. Excellent mechanics and looks to be a good all around travel and portrait lens.

Denton

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a shot on M10-R processed minimally (no sharpening) in LR classic. Slight cropping f2.8. Eye of front bird in good focus. Apo-Skopar 90mm.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, denton said:

Here's a shot on M10-R processed minimally (no sharpening) in LR classic. Slight cropping f2.8. Eye of front bird in good focus. Apo-Skopar 90mm.

[...]

Thanks! This lens really looks promising. The apo-designation seems justified.

What looks good about that example ?  What do you look for in evaluating a lens ?  Its close and hard to tell for sure but the image ;looks just a bit front focused .  Look at the board and estimate where the focus line would hit .  

22 hours ago, glenerrolrd said:

What looks good about that example ?  What do you look for in evaluating a lens ?  Its close and hard to tell for sure but the image ;looks just a bit front focused .  Look at the board and estimate where the focus line would hit . 

Smooth bokeh in the whole frame.

No outlining in bokeh balls (though this isn't a very challenging image).

No color fringing (neither in the in focus areas, nor in the out of focus areas) = (near) perfect longitudinal chromatic aberration is very well controlled = apo-corrected in the modern sense.

Looks sharp at focus point (without sharpening artifacts). We only look at a down-sampled image, but from what I see, it looks good.

Focus seems spot on to me. Since the lens axis is tilted down, focus on the board should be slightly in front of the seagull.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LarsHP said:

Smooth bokeh in the whole frame.

No outlining in bokeh balls (though this isn't a very challenging image).

No color fringing (neither in the in focus areas, nor in the out of focus areas) = (near) perfect longitudinal chromatic aberration is very well controlled = apo-corrected in the modern sense.

Looks sharp at focus point (without sharpening artifacts). We only look at a down-sampled image, but from what I see, it looks good.

Focus seems spot on to me. Since the lens axis is tilted down, focus on the board should be slightly in front of the seagull.

But apart from that,what else?😀

• Like 5

Shot directly into sun off water, very bright. Straight from camera and no adjustments. Don't remember the F-stop, but 1/4000 and ISO 100 so somewhere between 2.8 and 4.0. Shallow depth of field

Denton

Edited by denton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 12/7/2021 at 11:03 PM, steve 1959 said:

But apart from that,what else?😀

Let me see...

Looks sharp wide open, even far away from the center and even at a short focus distance (being a 90mm rangefinder lens).

A block focusing lens (one without floating lens elements) will perform a bit worse outside its optimum focus distance. If what we are seeing here is indicative, it would point to a lens design where wide open sharpness is optimized for "portrait distance", which to me seems like a good choice.

Transition zone also looks super smooth in the whole frame.

- - -

To me, the only drawback is that it is an f/2.8 lens, not f/2.

It has a 39mm filter thread, meaning it's a tiny lens, which for some is a big advantage. I like my lenses small, but also relatively fast. To me, f/2.8 on a short telephoto lens is a bit slow. I would have bought it instantly if it was an f/2 lens. The Nokton 75mm f/1.5 has 58mm thread and the 90mm Apo-Summicron-M has a 55mm thread, so it should be possible to make a 90mm f/2 Apo-Lanthar lens with a filter thread in that range. With the Apo-Skopar on the market, I am not sure Cosina / Voigtländer will make such a lens, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice Pictures from today. Misty, littlebit wet, truely bad Light. All from Leica M9 with the new Voigtländer APO Skopar 90mm (Aperture 2,8 – 4).

Edited by Panfoto
Platzierungen
  • Like 4

Now with Light in the Wood.

• Like 2