New Lens: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM

Mark T

Now I can be like Sam Abel! If I get this 90, I can do a 28/90 kit combo. But in all seriousness, this is incredibly compelling because for times when I want reach, or to do portraits, I want a focal length like this, and I was literally looking two days ago to see what was the best M-mount 90 option (for my budget). If this is $899 USD or under, it might just be my next purchase.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 28framelines said:

Now I can be like Sam Abel! If I get this 90, I can do a 28/90 kit combo. But in all seriousness, this is incredibly compelling because for times when I want reach, or to do portraits, I want a focal length like this, and I was literally looking two days ago to see what was the best M-mount 90 option (for my budget). If this is $899 USD or under, it might just be my next purchase.

Why not be like Sam Abell? We can still work the way he does, irrespective of the output. It suits my interpretation of the Leica gestalt! 🙂

Also, I think you'll be happy regarding price (i am). See below.

So there is some more information about the lens today. Some great photos showing how the reversible lens hood fits. Very elegant indeed, in my opinion. Also some information on pricing (although I'm not sure if this is final or just rumour at the moment). $780 USD. This lens just got even more attractive! Enjoy...

https://leicarumors.com/2021/10/14/more-leaked-pictures-of-the-new-voigtlander-apo-skopar-90mm-f-2-8-vm-lens-for-leica-m-mount.aspx/

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, oldwino said:

I'm actually most excited about the fact that this lens will also be made in Nikon F mount. It's super compact, and I find it easier to shoot this focal with a SLR/EVF-type camera.

I might buy a present for my overlooked FM2! I saw they are also making a 28mm F mount too. My two favourite focal lengths.

• Like 2

The Cosina sites clarifies the earlier confusion about flare at certain apertures.

The 10 diaphragm blades have a special shape that makes them circular not only in the open F2.8 but also in F4 and F22. It is possible to draw using "ball blur" such as a point light source.

It was a reference to bokeh, as was previously suggested... good news!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ianman said:

I might buy a present for my overlooked FM2! I saw they are also making a 28mm F mount too. My two favourite focal lengths.

Hmm, that has piqued my interest too.  I have an FM (and an FT3) and I don't have a 90mm lens in F mount.  

Edit: What's with the built-in CPU of their F mount lenses?

Edited by logan2z

On 10/13/2021 at 7:00 AM, Mark T said:

It has an interesting lens design with 7 elements! This is way more than Tele Elmarit, Summarit, Emarit, Elmar etc. Even more than the APO Summicron. Not that more is necessarily better, but it should be a highly corrected lens whatever the case. 5 of the elements are "special" glass. The design seems broadly similar to the 90mm Summarit but with extra elements.

Playing along with @adan in the price game above, I think it will be priced closer to the APO Lanther 35 and 50 mm as a highly corrected, non-classic type lens. However, it's all guesswork so I'll go for just under four figure USD ~$950...

I notice pretty interesting similarities in the group in front of the aperture with the Nokton 50mm II:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

Edit: What's with the built-in CPU of their F mount lenses?

Mostly, it will enable the "focus-confirmation indicator" in Nikon AF bodies, as a manual-focusing aid. As well as communicate lens type/aperture and so on, for digital EXIF and metering.

Not much use on an FM2 - but useful on a Nikon Df, for example.

Nikon "chipped" at least one of their own manual lenses in the transition to AF in the late 1980s - the 500mm f/4. Too big and heavy for the in-camera AF drive motors of the time - but still useful for it to provide for focus-confirmation on AF bodies.

C/V's earlier APO-Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 (along with other "SL" lenses) was also produced in manual-focus-only Canon EOS and Nikon F versions. And included the chip and contacts, for the same reasons. (And who knows, there may eventually be a Canon EOS or R version of this 90 APO-Skopar as well ;) ).

https://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm

Leica chipped their late-model R-mount lenses with a ROM - which could also be retrofitted to some earlier lenses - for somewhat different reasons.

https://www.nemeng.com/leica/001c.shtml

Edited by adan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Will I be missing anything if I stick with my Summarit 2,4/90 ? ( please not the rubber discussion again.... I'm accustomed to that for many years--from the Zeiss-Hasselblad lenses.. ) 

Apart from the ugly rubber bit no 🙂

58 minutes ago, Kl@usW. said:

Will I be missing anything if I stick with my Summarit 2,4/90 ? ( please not the rubber discussion again.... I'm accustomed to that for many years--from the Zeiss-Hasselblad lenses.. ) 

All you/we could miss is a smaller and lighter lens i guess. Sharper edges and corners below f/5.6 too perhaps. Also a bayonet hood and 39mm filters. But the size/weight reason is the main one to me. 53x60 vs 55x67mm, 250 vs 346g.

Edited by lct
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Will I be missing anything....

Really much too early to tell (except for the specced differences in wide-open f/stop and weight/size).

The Summarit 90s are in no way close to APO (they produce visible red fringing wide-open). But until we see some real-world user images, we don't know what the APO-Skopar's flaws may be (if any).

Many a slip between the paper specs and the real world. ;)

• Thanks 1