Elmarit-R 35mm f2.8 on Leicaflex SL2 - Aperture locked to 2.8 when fitted.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just procured a new lens for my SL2. The Elmarit-R 35mm (serial number 2620922).

ebay.co.uk/itm/363449918470

I believe it to be a 3 cam?

Off camera the aperture ring adjusts the blades as expected, however on the SL2 the aperture fully opens and can not be adjusted - although the ring moves as normal.

When I first put it on my SL2, it was a little stiff to click into place... but since slides in as expected. Is there anything I should be look for?

TIA

I think that perhaps the Elmarit-R 35mm has damaged the aperture coupling/leaver in the Leicaflex SL2 - the aperture on my Summicron-R 50mm also can not be adjusted when it is fitted on the camera. It is locked open.

Serial on my Leicaflex SL2 is 1420461... and the lens 2620922. How can I check compatibility?

Hello,

you wrote (...or you believe) that the lens is 3 cams.

Normally 3 cam lenses ( from factory or factory adapted of older lenses) are compatible with Leicaflex SL2.

3cam version from factory beginning with 2.668.376 (1976), from my Pocket Book, 8th Edition.

Can you show the rear of your lens ?

Edited by a.noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe the aperture stop-down lever is out of alignment, snd is in the wrong position when mounted, being jammed wide open. Have you tried mounting the lens (a) with the aperture set wide open when mounting, and (b) with it stopped right down when mounting? You could try then also holding the stop down lever against its spring as far as it will go when trying to mount the lens, like you need to do under certain circumstances when using an extender

Hi @masjah 

Yes I tried mounting both f positions. When stopped right down, the aperture blades open up when twisting to lock the mount. Its possible the stop-down lever is out of alignment, but it moves when pressing the 'depth of field' button allowing the lens to set the aperture, could it be a lubrication issue?

Moving the lever by hand or with the button, it moves smoothly, but I feel more force is need to move it than if moving the spring loaded aperture switch on the back of the lens. 

2 hours ago, silverbacklabs said:

Hi @masjah 

Yes I tried mounting both f positions. When stopped right down, the aperture blades open up when twisting to lock the mount. Its possible the stop-down lever is out of alignment, but it moves when pressing the 'depth of field' button allowing the lens to set the aperture, could it be a lubrication issue?

Moving the lever by hand or with the button, it moves smoothly, but I feel more force is need to move it than if moving the spring loaded aperture switch on the back of the lens. 

I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest is the obvious one, which is to attempt to determine whether the problem is with the stop down mechanism on the lens, or the mechanism on the camera. Could you (a) try a different lens on the camera and (b) try the lens on a different camera? Sorry, I've run out of ideas now!

4 minutes ago, silverbacklabs said:

Both the Summicron 50/2 and the new Elmarit 35/2.8 have the same issue. So I am assuming the issue lies with the SL2 body.

I will take it for a service when I can make it to London.

Sorry - I should have noticed that you mentioned this already in your second post - senior moment on my part. So, has the problem with the 50/2 newly arisen since you mountd the Elmarit for the first time? It's certainly looking as though the problem is with the camera body, though whether or not it was caused by mounting the Elmarit ???

I am starting to think the problem pre-existed. Mounting the Elmarit felt slightly forced the first time though - I could not twist it to the locked position on the first 1/2 attempts. After that though it slides in and out smoothly.

The camera has been out of action for the last 15/20 years... sitting ideally in my cupboard perhaps it is in desperate need of the cliche CLA. I have not shot a test role on it yet, but picked up the Elmarit in anticipation of taking it to all my shoots to take a few photos on each time.

Hi! From your first 3 posts, this sounds like the SL2 and lenses are working as designed. The SL2 is designed for 2-cam lenses but will mount and work with 3-cam lenses too. The lens is fixed to full aperture when mounted on the camera so you have the most light available for focusing. You can adjust the aperture and shutter speed on the camera and the exposure aids in the viewfinder will move as expected. The aperture on the lens doesn't actually move until the shutter is released.

You can press the button on the front to check depth of field for the chosen aperture and then the aperture will close down, returning to fully open as the button is released.

An easy way to see the aperture blades close during shutter release is to use the Bulb setting and watch the aperture from the front of the camera (no film needed for testing). Aperture blades should close to the setting on the lens and remain there as long as you hold down the shutter button. When shutter is released, aperture blades open up fully again.

Best regards,
Neal

Edited by nbgronlie
Small correction.