My "new" m4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought this m4, should I paint it or leave it like this? Thank you

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It looks like the serial is 1246XXX which is listed as one of 1,900 black paint M4 made in 1969, here https://www.cameraquest.com/leicanum.htm

As an original black paint it has significant value. If you repaint it, that value will be diminished by 50% or more. 

Do as Lex says.  It’s a beautiful example of a camera with a story to tell. 

• Like 1

👍

Race for the newest M4 began.

I've seen these "new M4", a while back.

I don't know what they became though

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What can I do with this?

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

Glue the edges down so the damage doesn't spread, I don't think there is enough wrong with the rest of the vulcanite to justify a complete recovering. There are things you can do to restore the finish and fill the gaps.  

That’s what I would do. As they say in classic car circles, “it’s only original once”.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mute-on said:

As they say in classic car circles, “it’s only original once”

Even the classic car people, who love $20,000 paint jobs, are now realizing a survivor car is more valuable than a car with a perfect, modern paint job.

• Like 1

I agree with post above that recovering with new "vulcanite" is not problematic and will look nice.  The crumbling vulcanite can be fine too.  Your choice.  But, I would most definitely retain the original worn paint finish.....so dang sexy!  (and more valuable/desirable)

Thinking about it again perhaps it would be better to patch up the vulcanite rather than replace it. I patched up some small missing pieces of vulcanite on my M2 with some thin black leather, which was obvious but looked ok to me. When I had the camera serviced my patches were professionally repaired with the correct material and are now invisible. I liked the look of my patches !

• Like 1

Clearly a repaint would greatly reduce collector value. I don't know if collectors care about disintegrating vulcanite, but UK technician Alan Starkie recommends replacing it because once it gets in this state it's probably releasing sulphuric acid that may further damage the camera:

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com/post/2017/04/10/should-i-keep-the-vulcanite-on-my-leica-m3

• Like 1

Don’t sell it.  You have it now, so you should just get it working properly and take photos. 

As a simple photographer, if you like the camera, then just fix it and use it.

An M6 or M4-P are also just cameras. They are nothing special. Frankly, I wouldn’t bother with either over my black paint M4, which I think is special. 

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, luchoperez said:

I am not a collector, I am a simple photographer, some people have told me that it is a valuable object, should I sell it and buy an m6 or an m4-p? what is its real value?

Value: https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Leitz/M4-black-paint.html

It is truly special to own AND use a black paint M camera IMO.

If you don't feel the same way, you may as well sell it and buy what you really want.

If you choose to sell it, you shouldn't touch anything and let the buyer decide on a possible restoration path. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1