My message to Leica AG in regards to CL!

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That was my argument a few weeks back.  But an even smarter company than Leica would have given a roadmap to keep their customers from scattering. 

Yes but did the message get through? I know people there are meant to ‘keep an eye on the forum’ but someone must have a direct line in?!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, well, the advantage over the 18-56 is marginal; many of us have that focal range covered. But it clearly signals Sigma's continued support, and given that the CL/TL are the only APS-C L-mount cameras... Do they know something that we don't?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes, well, the advantage over the 18-56 is marginal; many of us have that focal range covered. But it clearly signals Sigma's continued support, and given that the CL/TL are the only APS-C L-mount cameras... Do they know something that we don't?

Hi , 

Maybe Leica stops the CL , but Lumix or Sigma will continue with a new one ? Why produce a new L mount lens when the company who makes this APSC camera just decided to stop producing it . Its a bit strange , I'm sure they pass on between them certain amount of information .

I just received my TL 23mm summicron Lens ... LOL 

Of course Sigma and Panasonic know something that we don’t.

Sigma surely got reassurance from Leica. 

I doubt that Panasonic will ever launch an APS-C camera. They already have their M4/3 line to cover. 

Sigma may launch its own APS-C. Who knows. 

If Leica stops the CL  I will try to get a knocked-off pancake lens. The 18mm is a nice autofocus lens. So if these start to appear on the market . .

I had been on the watch for a light-used CL, non found, so bought an S5. The crop will still give very useful pictures (remember the M8?).

3 hours ago, rob_w said:

We must defer to Leica's commercial nous and the need the company has to survive and prosper.  But some of their product positioning and marketing is  difficult to understand. 

Last summer I was in a Leica store in London.   An obviously wealthy couple came in who had no photographic knowledge but wanted to record their young children over the coming years.  They had clearly been drawn by the idea that "Leica is the best, when money is no object".  The sales person struggled.  The SL2 was too big, heavy and complicated for them.  The Q was a possibility but not at all suitable for fast moving children often taken at a distance (although they did not realise that would be a problem, they just did not like that you could not change the lens).  The CL (or the TL for that matter) would have been perfect, especially for the wife, but the sales person avoided mentioning it. 

They struck up a conversation with me and I explained I had used Leica for 40 years and had a wonderful pictorial record of my own children and grandchildren as a consequence.  I did not feel I should mention the CL when the sales person had chosen not to do so.  I was a guest in his store.  Should I have said something?  Perhaps.  In the event they left the store without making a purchase.

Of course this is only a data point of one.  Difficult to generalise.  But it was hard for me to see why the sales person did not have the table covered with APS-C bodies and lenses once the SL and Q had failed to be desirable for them.  Go figure!

Sounds as if the sales person might have been a part-timer who knows sweet fanny adams about Leica products ... Was it the Saturday boy? ;) 

1 hour ago, Mike1974 said:

Correct ... why invest money in something that won't get back your investment for sure ? Those companies are not managed by stupid people. 

I think Sigma will be making their money from the Sony version of this lens. Adding an L-mount version is secondary (and at little cost) IMHO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Sigma is developing these lenses mainly for Sony E mount and their very popular A6xxx series. Adapting this lens for L mount is just a matter of swapping the lens mount and add a few mm for the flange mount distance difference.

Alternatively, I was thinking that Sigma could release an APS-C Foveon camera, since development of a full frame version didn't go as planned.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cpclee said:

Would people be less upset if Leica discontinues the CL/TL lines but continues to produce TL lenses and releases a FF L mount EVF body with a size close to M?

It will be perfectly ok.  But the camera had to come now or at least rumors that were reasonably credible.  Before all leaving L mount for smaller camera.

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I don’t know why everybody are in panic mode ??

Have you noticed that we are in the middle of a massive chip shortage. 
Even chip shortage immune Apple reported a 6 Billions loss last quarter ! Due to lack of certain composants. 
Car industry is at halt. 

CL2 exists for sure. It was pre announced to dealer for a March 2021 release. 
But for unknown reasons postponed (certainly due to chip shortage) 

Every photo manufacturers were not able to ramp up production in august for Holidays sales. 
Therefore not enough cameras and lenses will be produced for Christmas!! 
Expect price rise in second hand market. 

So it is pretty smart for Leica to put all its efforts into future high margin M11 instead of low margin CL2. 
So be patient and get ready to buy CL2 in March-April 2022 

But why do two respected members here say that Leica (Stefan Daniel) has said there will NOT be a successor to CL

At one point, we as customers just had to draw a line in the sand and say - now we no longer believe that Leica has a plan for APSC.

It would be the easiest thing in the world for Leica to send out a rumor about a new CL2.

If it is scheduled for March then it is already out in the field with some of our members.

Edited by Kim Dahl

The lack of clear communication of Leica’s future product roadmap has created uncertainty and means that owners and potential buyers will lose confidence in the brand and look elsewhere. Knowing that information leaks out Stefan Daniel did a poor job of managing communication action and expectations. From the meeting in September he could have immediately communicated with the press and sites like this but chose to say nothing. Good job for him that he’s not running a Fortune 100 company!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

The lack of clear communication of Leica’s future product roadmap has created uncertainty and means that owners and potential buyers will lose confidence in the brand and look elsewhere. Knowing that information leaks out Stefan Daniel did a poor job of managing communication action and expectations. From the meeting in September he could have immediately communicated with the press and sites like this but chose to say nothing. Good job for him that he’s not running a Fortune 100 company!

Isn't it equally like that Stefan Daniel's words were misunderstood?  I for one find it quite odd for an experienced manager to reveal something like this to company outsiders.  It would have been more prudent / diplomatic to simply say he could not share.  Until they finalized a decision that is and then inform the world/dealers formally.

• Like 1