My message to Leica AG in regards to CL!

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

It’s hard to see anything out there that has the qualities of the CL in terms of size, weight, simplicity of controls and sheer usability. It also fits with the philosophy of Oskar Barnak.

I would be sad to see it “let go” by Leica.

Me too... very sad indeed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Let us assume that CL would be ended, indeed! What other choices do we have for another serious APS-C; if, we wish to keep our excellent L lenses? 

Any suggestion would be welcome.

For the time being, the only cameras that accept L lenses are:

1- Panasonic. (but I am not crazy about!)

2- Sigma (Excellent camera, but with no EVF)!

Then, if we could find a lens adapter: 

1- Sony a6100

2 - Sony a6600

3 - Fujifilm X-t30

4 - Fujifilm X- e4

But as I said; if there is a lens adapter for the above cameras , for which I have always seen good reviews!

What else?.....

I might be trading the CL in for a Sigma fp-L (with the grip). It's not the difference in mps. I prefer Sigma's colors and the full format just seems to render better. I'm convinced that my M glass will be fine on that camera, and I actually like the new detachable EVF. I also have a DP2 Merrill coming. I can't possibly buy into the Leica S system (too poor and too weak 😀), but, except for that system, I slightly prefer Sigma colors across the board to Leica's. Keeping my beloved M4-P since currently I'm shooting mainly film. Not sure about the M10.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bags27 said:

I might be trading the CL in for a Sigma fp-L. It's not the difference in mps. I prefer Sigma's colors and the full format just seems to render better. I'm convinced that my M glass will be fine on that camera, and I actually like the new detachable EVF. I also have a DP2 Merrill coming. I can't possibly buy into the Leica S system (too poor and too weak 😀), but, except for that system, I slightly prefer Sigma colors across the board to Leica's. Keeping my beloved M4-P since currently I'm shoot mainly film. Not sure about the M10.

I have both the DP2 and DP3 Merrills .

Wonderful cameras .

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, gotium said:

What makes you think that?

I've studied closely the photos uploaded on our own sigma thread and those at various other sites (DPR and flickr) and have asked respected fp-L owners who use M glass. My needs and expectations may be different from others, however. 

26 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have the Sigma fp, but I simply could not use it as an alternative to the CL - it is just not comfortable in the hand. It is a great camera on a tripod, whether for stills or video (I use it for video).

It looks to be a very good camera; but the only problem for me is shooting on the screen instead of an EVF!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I might be trading the CL in for a Sigma fp-L (with the grip). It's not the difference in mps. I prefer Sigma's colors and the full format just seems to render better. I'm convinced that my M glass will be fine on that camera, and I actually like the new detachable EVF. I also have a DP2 Merrill coming. I can't possibly buy into the Leica S system (too poor and too weak 😀), but, except for that system, I slightly prefer Sigma colors across the board to Leica's. Keeping my beloved M4-P since currently I'm shooting mainly film. Not sure about the M10.

It is a great camera, but I just can't see myself shooting through the screen like with a cellular! ;) 

4 minutes ago, Louis said:

It looks to be a very good camera; but the only problem for me is shooting on the screen instead of an EVF!

Louis--there's a detachable EVF that fits both the fp and the fp-L. It's very good (and swings 90 degrees so one can shoot downwards on a low shot). But it is a bit tricky to attach to the camera: care must be used.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1632096-REG/sigma_av7900_evf_11_electronic_viewfinder.html

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Louis--there's a detachable EVF that fits both the fp and the fp-L. It's very good (and swings 90 degrees so one can shoot downwards on a low shot). But it is a bit tricky to attach to the camera: care must be used.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1632096-REG/sigma_av7900_evf_11_electronic_viewfinder.html

Wow; for almost 700 bucks! 

13 minutes ago, bags27 said:

It's $500 if you buy it with the fp-L as a kit (and if you do, I expect Sigma to send me a 10% commission 😀)

Ken, thank you very much for all the information. I have been checking the Sigma site and I find the camera becoming weird an uncomfortable with the extras! I wish it was a little larger but more complete! … Unfortunately, the perfect camera never exists! ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have the Sigma fp, but I simply could not use it as an alternative to the CL - it is just not comfortable in the hand. It is a great camera on a tripod, whether for stills or video (I use it for video).

Paul, I do agree with you. After checking their site, I realized becomes really uncomfortable with the accessories a.

• Like 1

After four years since the release of this camera, I absolutely feel like they owe it to us to provide some sort of roadmap of the APS-C product line given the considerable investment we've all made in their system. Please Leica - give us a sign of life! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, wsself said:

After four years since the release of this camera, I absolutely feel like they owe it to us to provide some sort of roadmap of the APS-C product line given the considerable investment we've all made in their system. Please Leica - give us a sign of life! 

Well, I have a couple of thoughts and have concluded it's best to go straight to the acceptance phase of the Kubler-Ross grief scale.

1. $$$$ (or Euros if I Knew how to make that symbol).  There is no financial reason for them to announce an upgrade or the death of the line.

2. Supply chain in disarray.  If auto makes can't get chips how can camera makers get chips?  The Ricoh gr iii x is delayed for the same reason.

3. Does anyone know or is there a way of finding out how many CL/TL2 bodies were sold relative to Qs?  The answer might lie here.  

4. The product manager Maike Harberts (per the referenced article, their APS-C lead person) is on instagram.  Is she on here?  Does anyone know her?  I doubt she would spill the beans but even a little whisper could go a long way to quelling anxiety.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

4. The product manager Maike Harberts (per the referenced article, their APS-C lead person) is on instagram.  Is she on here?  Does anyone know her?  I doubt she would spill the beans but even a little whisper could go a long way to quelling anxiety.  

It does not look like Maike Harberts has been active on Instagram for quite some time, but yes I do think it is at least worth giving her a little nudge to let her know we're waiting. 

https://www.instagram.com/maikeharberts/?hl=en

I can tell you from my own experience working in a marketing role at a software company that most companies absolutely do pay attention to the forums. Hopefully the good people at Leica are reading this thread right now. 

Side note: If the CL2 never happens, I do hope they continue to release meaningful firmware updates - ie. Eye-detect autofocus would be a nice addition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

Well, I have a couple of thoughts and have concluded it's best to go straight to the acceptance phase of the Kubler-Ross grief scale.

1. $$$$ (or Euros if I Knew how to make that symbol).  There is no financial reason for them to announce an upgrade or the death of the line.

2. Supply chain in disarray.  If auto makes can't get chips how can camera makers get chips?  The Ricoh gr iii x is delayed for the same reason.

3. Does anyone know or is there a way of finding out how many CL/TL2 bodies were sold relative to Qs?  The answer might lie here.  

Maike cannot tell us what Leica doesn't want to tell us.At least, I hope she would check this site and tell her bosses about our thoughts. Her Instagram account has never been very active anyway,  but I think if we all leave her a message to check this conversation, she may whisper something to the decision makers.

In the other hand, I have also heard that Leica is late on its schedule because of the Covid related shutting. ... Let us cross our fingers and see if our feelings are going to be heard somewhere!...

BTW, you wish to leave a note on her Instagram; this is her address:  www.instagram.com/maikeharberts 

• Like 1