My message to Leica AG in regards to CL!

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lct said:

Is he really transparent about the future of Foveon sensors? Just asking as i have no idea but each company has its own secrets.

As to the dp and sd models, I don't know. But he's explained the projected FF Foveon L mount all along the way. Most recently, he is despairing that, because of poor production quality from the company they had contracted with, the chips won't be ready for a year, maybe two. But he implied that the entire project is now uncertain.

Edited by bags27
  • Thanks 1

And I guess that's one of many reasons to keep your cards close to your chest - announce when ready, and don't give people the opportunity to comment on your business.  There will be speculation anyway.

As an aside, is Sigma as profitable as Leica?  Leica's strategy seems to be working, despite the unhappiness of some ...

11 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

As an aside, is Sigma as profitable as Leica?  Leica's strategy seems to be working, despite the unhappiness of some ...

Yes, because they don't produce lenses just for L mount, but spread out cost of developing across multiple mounts. 

All lenses available for L mount are also available for Sony FE, and that's where they make most money

9 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Yes, because they don't produce lenses just for L mount, but spread out cost of developing across multiple mounts. 

All lenses available for L mount are also available for Sony FE, and that's where they make most money

Not sure that means they are as profitable as Leica, or more so.

11 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

And I guess that's one of many reasons to keep your cards close to your chest - announce when ready, and don't give people the opportunity to comment on your business.  There will be speculation anyway.

IMHO It's the lack of a stellar fast semi-wide prime that has held the system back rather than a new camera body.

A Leica branded 18/2 , 23 f/1.4 or 28 f/2 would send a proof of life message; they can then aim towards a new body when Sony is ready with a stacked sensor.

Edited by FrozenInTime

5 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

A Leica branded 18/2 , 23 f/1.4 or 28 f/2 would send a proof of life message; they can then aim towards a new body when Sony is ready with a stacked sensor.

Problem is how many people would buy such lenses at Leica prices for crop sensors. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/about/corporate-information/

Annual Turnover 33,815,268,000 yen (as of August 2020)

That is about 261 million €

I don't know about leica

Only Leica and Sigma know what their profits are, but I do know that turnover and profit are not the same …

I guess it doesn’t really matter as they have their own rows to hoe.  Leica has no future trying to be Sony, Fuji or Sigma, though the L mount was Leica’s idea, which preumably Sigma paid to use?

Edited by IkarusJohn

6 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

which preumably Sigma paid to use?

I obviously don't know the details, but in my opinion it's unlikely that Sigma paid to use the L mount specifications. For sure it's nice to have access to an additional market, but Sigma didn't need the L mount, since they serve mainly Sony shooters. On the other hand, Leica was in dire need of third party lens makers to have a more substantial lens lineup and attract more customers into the system. 

Long story short, IMHO, unless you're Canon and you can churn out high quality glass at a breakneck pace, you can't survive in the full frame mirrorless market just by yourself. This is especially true for Leica, since release of the Summicrons took 2 years per lens, more or less. By comparison, Sigma released 4 full frame lenses and 1 APS-C in L mount in 2021.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following JAAP on this one

Had my eye on some TL lenses to build a full kit, but Leica’s silence has me uncomfortable, and have just placed an order for the s5 instead. Wonder if it might even serve as an M replacement with the right lenses. Heck, with the 24/1.8 maybe replace my Q2 as well (probably asking too much, but worth a try)…

• Like 2

Is Leica USA  getting rid of their CL stock!?... Could this be an indicator (either way)?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!