My message to Leica AG in regards to CL!

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems to me, below could be the first person who  used a Leica CL!...

It is about time to have a new CL (CL2),  but we know nothing if this update would ever see the day light!

In case anyone in Leica AG sees this message, he/she should know that the least Leica could do is to inform us about their intentions; so, we would know if we should wait or organize our future photography gear with other newer options. This is a question of courtesy that I believe Leica owes us! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Louis
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Louis said:

It seems to me, below could be the first person who  used a Leica CL!...

It is about time to have a new CL (CL2),  but we know nothing if this update would ever see the day light!

In case anyone in Leica AG sees this message, he/she should know that the least Leica could do is to inform us about their intentions; so, we would know if we should wait or organize our future photography gear with other newer options. This is a question of courtesy that I believe Leica owes us! 

+++1

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

I wouldn't hold my breath.  It all comes down to $$$ and if they are still selling CLs why would they announce the line's extinction?

That they never do. For instance the abandonment of the X series was never officially announced.

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

I fully agree - CL users really need. a  perspective on the direction Leica is taking with the system by now as there are decisions to be made.

For instance, IBIS would be nice, primarily to give additional stability to the 150-600. That makes the Panasonic S5 most attractive as a second body ( I assume that it has an APS-C mode).

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

For instance, IBIS would be nice, primarily to give additional stability to the 150-600. That makes the Panasonic S5 most attractive as a second body ( I assume that it has an APS-C mode).

Yes Jaapv, I think many of us would like to know if there is a future with Leica for APS-C.  As far as the S5 is concerned yes it does have a crop mode.  Our son had an S5 for a while, thinking he could share my lenses.   It didn't float my boat, nor his it seems as he didn't keep it long, it felt very video centric and controls very cluttered to me, however for someone with experience of Panasonic micro 4/3 as you have, it may be a better fit.   Certainly if wanting to stick with L mount and avoid a larger body, the only option really, as much as I like the thought of the Sigma Fp and FpL, more cons than pros there for me.

• Like 2

I admit that I never could remember which of the 18 buttons did what on the GX8, but it was practical enough if one stuck to the basic photographic functions and it did have a couple of nice features that were not found elsewhere. It would mean, however, that Leica would have pushed me out of the brand by their tardiness for my wildlife photography. It happened before - back in the days of the Canon 10D and 1D.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

It will be such a shame if they do drop the CL ... its one of the most useful cameras I`ve ever owned .

I`d sell the SL2s before I`d sell my CL .

Yes, I agree,  if I drop L mount going forward, it will be my SL2 and a few lenses that go... CL will stay for use with M mount.

Given that Sigma have announced (or is it just rumours) their 18-50 2.8 zoom DC (Aps-c) L Mount lens coming soon, do they know something we don't.  Only Leica have crop bodies in L mount with no announcements so far.   Maybe there is one on the way from Panasonic, if aps-c L mount is just fading away surely Sigma wouldn't be bothering with this constant aperture zoom.

https://photorumors.com/2021/09/23/new-sigma-18-50mm-f-2-8-dc-dn-contemporary-lens-coming-lens-for-l-and-e-mount/

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 8

41 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Given that Sigma have announced (or is it just rumours) their 18-50 2.8 zoom DC (Aps-c) L Mount lens coming soon, do they know something we don't.  Only Leica have crop bodies in L mount with no announcements so far.   Maybe there is one on the way from Panasonic, if aps-c L mount is just fading away surely Sigma wouldn't be bothering with this constant aperture zoom.

This is because Sigma is catering mainly to the Sony E mount folks, and releasing the lens in L mount is just a matter of swapping the lens mount, since flange distance between the two mounts is about the same, 0,5mm difference if I remember correctly. The additional cost of releasing this lens in L mount is peanuts, and if they cannot sell them, they'll rehouse them and sell them for Sony with very little loss.

Also don't forget that you can use the lens on the FP-L and still have plenty of resolution while still mantaining a very compact footprint.

Panasonic won't release an APC-S camera, they are too invested in the M4/3 and have recently announced they're working on the GH6.

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Boojay said:

Yes Jaapv, I think many of us would like to know if there is a future with Leica for APS-C.  As far as the S5 is concerned yes it does have a crop mode.  Our son had an S5 for a while, thinking he could share my lenses.   It didn't float my boat, nor his it seems as he didn't keep it long, it felt very video centric and controls very cluttered to me, however for someone with experience of Panasonic micro 4/3 as you have, it may be a better fit.   Certainly if wanting to stick with L mount and avoid a larger body, the only option really, as much as I like the thought of the Sigma Fp and FpL, more cons than pros there for me.

The most "interesting" Lumix is the  DC-S1R with 47 MP, but it becomes around 20MP with TL lenses! TheSigma fp L looks more interesting with 61 mp, even with crop; but with no EVF!!! 

CL has been a very popular and successful camera from the beginning and it would be very surprising if Leica takes the stupid decision of ending it. As a serious brand, they do need an APS-C system! 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1