How to turn off WLAN in my CL

ijporter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am delighted with my CL, except for the battery life!  

In order to maximise battery life, I would like to turn off the WLAN connection. When I access 'Leica FOTOS' via the 'Favorites' Menu, I see the 'Turn WLAN off' sign with a right direction arrow.  When, however, I press the centre button or the right direction arrow on the directional pad, I am simply returned to 'Leica FOTOS' on the 'Favorites' Menu.  I've tried to see if I can turn off the WLAN connection via the App on my iPhone, but have been unable to find a way of doing so.  (I don't download my photos via the app. any more - I found it too slow and I was concerned about the amount of power used in the process. Now I simply remove the SD Card and download directly into Lightroom.)

I hope that someone might be able to tell me how I can turn the WLAN connection OFF! 😀

As far as I am aware, WLAN is always off unless you activate it in the menu. Setting to "off" in the favourites menu only removes it from the menu list, it has no bearing on the function being on or off.

The favourites menu is not for activating functions, it is for editing the list under the Fn button.

The problem is the same if you are not in the "Favorites"-Menu but in the main-menu. It seems to be impossible to turn "OFF" WLAN - at least it is impossible to get a confirmation by the camera that WLAN is off. I had the same intention as ijporter and gave up , annoyed. Therefore I`m glad that he aroused the question again.

I used an app in my phone (WiFi Analyzer) which lists all WiFi access points it can see and their respective signal strengths. According to this app, the CL turns on the WLAN only when you enter the Leica Fotos menu. It turns it off when you disconnect the Camera from the Leica Fotos app.

Interpreting the output of the Wifi Analyzer app is not straightforward and the timing of the display with respect to the WiFi signals seems a bit shaky, but I am quite confident that the camera does not turn on the WLAN unless you use the Leica Fotos menu, i.e. if you attempt to connect the camera to the Leica Fotos app in your phone.

19 hours ago, motard said:

The problem is the same if you are not in the "Favorites"-Menu but in the main-menu. It seems to be impossible to turn "OFF" WLAN - at least it is impossible to get a confirmation by the camera that WLAN is off. I had the same intention as ijporter and gave up , annoyed. Therefore I`m glad that he aroused the question again.

That is because it is off by default, it is only active when connected to FOTOS and switches off automatically. It is useless to report everything that is inactive.

The favorites menu is only an editing menu and has nothing to do with the switching of camera functions. It gives you a choice of the items that you can operate by the Fn button.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 19 Stunden schrieb LucisPictor:

Are you sure that the WLAN functionality is active as a standard? Isn't ist just turned on when you want to use it? 

when I enter the "Leica fotos"-menu and the first option to choose is " turn WLAN off / WLAN ausschalten" in German, the logical conclusion is that WLAN is activated by default. According to pop, that`s not the case - which means ( in my understanding  ) that the text of the menu is misleading / illogical. I hope to have made me understood, even if my knowledge of English is rather poor.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb motard:

when I enter the "Leica fotos"-menu and the first option to choose is " turn WLAN off / WLAN ausschalten" in German, the logical conclusion is that WLAN is activated by default. According to pop, that`s not the case - which means ( in my understanding  ) that the text of the menu is misleading / illogical. I hope to have made me understood, even if my knowledge of English is rather poor.

I agree that the wording of that menu entry ist highly confusing. In any event, it does not do what it appears to be saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1