SL2 Monochrom on the horizon.

Slender

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You may have heard it first here: according to indiscretions  from some Leica salespeople in Paris, the Monochrom version of our beloved SL platform should be around the corner. It makes sense since the sensor already exists (Q2M) and it would be quite a thing of delight to finaly see what those SL lenses can do on what should be the most stringent Leica sensor yet... funny to imagine Multishot in a bayer-free sensor... and 10 (12?) bit log would make for some out of this world cinematography for Black and White lovers.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Leicaiste said:

Could somebody point me to a website, a book or an exhibition where I could see some really nice b&w made with any Leica Monochrom ?

surely not to everyone's taste, but it was an impressive body of work all made with the Henry M9

https://www.google.com/search?q=arrivals+and+departures+sobol&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=AOaemvJdVF93YHlZWlMgUXhLF-8In-X74A:1633885483307&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwis2NfeqcDzAhWpQkEAHZiZCssQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1440&bih=732&dpr=2

2 hours ago, Slender said:

funny to imagine Multishot in a bayer-free sensor

The lack of a Bayer filter can open up even more possibilities for multishot since the camera does not need to shift by one pixel increments between shots. It can potentially do 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 pixel shifts if the IBIS mechanism is precise enough and allow for even higher then the current 4x resolution in multishot mode.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leicaiste said:

Could somebody point me to a website, a book or an exhibition where I could see some really nice b&w made with any Leica Monochrom ?

HAve you looked at the Q2M (in the Q/Q2 section) or the M10M (in the M section) specific image threads?  There is a wide variety of images in those threads. In my option there are some pretty remarkable examples of what these bodies are capable of. 

vor 44 Minuten schrieb _Michael:

HAve you looked at the Q2M (in the Q/Q2 section) or the M10M (in the M section) specific image threads?  There is a wide variety of images in those threads. In my option there are some pretty remarkable examples of what these bodies are capable of. 

No need to explain. He don't like the Monos, even if HBC himself had shot with one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Am 10.10.2021 um 17:22 schrieb Slender:

You may have heard it first here: according to indiscretions  from some Leica salespeople in Paris, the Monochrom version of our beloved SL platform should be around the corner. It makes sense since the sensor already exists (Q2M) and it would be quite a thing of delight to finaly see what those SL lenses can do on what should be the most stringent Leica sensor yet... funny to imagine Multishot in a bayer-free sensor... and 10 (12?) bit log would make for some out of this world cinematography for Black and White lovers.

A (my!) dream would come true (currently using SL2/SL601 & SL Apo's 28/35/50/90). Just hoping you are right...

18 hours ago, jrp said:

I don’t find what you gain (clean resolution) to be worth what you lose (ability to change contrast by colour in post, no need to use coloured filters and have to remember to exposure adjust for them). 

I guess that's the beauty of these choices. The Monochrom line is a speciality within the Leica product line. Some love the option, others not so much.   You mentioned the clean resolution of the sensor, but there is also a tonal transition quality that is very difficult to match with a color conversion. That last point has often been missed by me but more and more I've come to appreciate it. I have also been quite skeptical of the advantages historically, but have changed my perspective. Many on this forum love to talk about the legacy of Leica and the experience of same. I think the Monochrom solutions fit that well for those who are still a bit crazy from the fumes of the darkroom and shot more bricks of Tri-X that we might ever remember. I'm finding the results of the Q2M quite satisfying, and a simple yellow or yellow-green filter can produce a fantastic baseline to apply minor adjustments. As one who historically spends too much time "developing" digital images, I like it less and less all the time. Less is more for me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2