Zeiss 18mm f4 on an M8

From back when more people were using M8s.....

Key point, as always, with superwide M-mount lenses on color-digital Leicas - color stains in the corners from the shallow angle of incidence of wide lenses close to the sensor, and the 6-bit coding needed to correct for that. The M8's cropped sensor avoids the "Italian Flag" problem, but can still produce cyan corners just from the cyanish infrared filtering (on the sensor, and/or added to the front of the lens).

There is no menu listing for any 18mm prime focal length in the Digital M menus. Just the 18mm setting with the 16-18-21 WATE, or trying an "almost-18mm" 21mm setting.

Other than that, it seems to be a pretty decent lens. I only used the Leica 18mm Super-Elmar myself in my M8 years - and that only briefly. Preferred a 15mm with the M8 cropping.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a ZM 18mm on an M9. There is a profile in Lightroom for this lens, but I think it's not right - over lightens the corners and doesn't deal with some colour shift. If you have access to LR you can get one example corrected to your satisfaction, then save  that as a user preset and apply wherever you need it. I'm sure something similar exists in the other software processers. It's a very nice lens, I think, and in a full frame camera gives a dramatic look.

• 7 months later...

I was using a 20mm Nikon on the M8, but I wanted something wider. The Zeiss 18mm seems perfect, Ilike that I can focus it, but with the DOF I could probably do just as well without the range finder. The nice thing is the 58mm filter, just added a 58 - 62 step up ring and can use the filters I had for the Nikon. A photo of the Vermontasaurus, no vignetting on the M8.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1