Are you selling your digital cameras?

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL 601 was my first camera I ever bought and I immediately fell in love with. After SL2 was released, I purchased it, but I never felt that connection as I had with the original SL, which I decided to keep, pack in the box and never sell. I know digital cameras won't have the longevity as the old film cameras, due the discontinuation of software updates, obsolete connectivity, electronic parts, and I will probably sell my SL2 and other cameras once I upgrade them with the new ones, but that original SL is more than a camera to me.

Also, when I'm looking at all my best photos, most were made with SL 601. Brings a lots of memories when I, once in a while take that camera out of the box to get some fresh air. I would love my kids to have it one day, but I'm aware it's not the same thing as it was with the old film cameras that some parents passed to their kids.

I have a couple questions here:

1. What's your "more than a camera", that you'll never sell?
2. What you did with your SL after upgrading to SL2/SL2-s?
3. What's your thoughts on keeping digital cameras instead selling them?

Edited by hirohhhh

My logic is totally the reverse of yours.

My opinion and answers to your questions are as below:

1. What's your "more than a camera", that you'll never sell?                                 Ans: I kept my M8 as it is the first Leica digital M. I have the M10R but sold off my M9, M240, M10.
2. What you did with your SL after upgrading to SL2/SL2-s?                               Ans: I sold off my SL 3 months before the launch of SL2 and purchased the SL2 in Nov 2019.
3. What's your thoughts on keeping digital cameras instead selling them?      Ans: To me digital camera bodies are valued like toilet rolls. The only value is in using them. 

Digital cameras and mechanical cameras may look alike in the skin. Internally, it is a mobile compact computer. I kept my 40 years old mint condition Contax RTSII which I had since new, it is not digital, just more electronics. It died more than 20years ago. So it has become a paper weight. I am having so much fun with digital bodies, actual preview, instant viewing of results and the much more dynamic range from today's image sensor allows much more creative juice to flow in post processing than crude burning technics applied in dark room. I am certain tomorrow's digital camera will be more fun than today, so why bother to look back?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

I pass my digital cameras on to my young son, who will use them for another couple of years before they give up. 

I have cameras that I will never sell but they are all analog.

Surely analog cameras are worth keeping.

Leica digital M bodies I keep, the rangefinder calibration makes them good backup. In addition, the M10-R doesn’t play well with the 50/1.0 Noctilux, the M10-P does much better with it and the CA at f1.0

The M240 has abilities that have been eliminated in the M10 series, the batteries last forever, the images are superb, it’s been with me for almost ten years hiking mountains and traveling the world.  I know it will focus my lenses properly and I can squeeze every last bit of IQ out of its 24 mp sensor.  It stays. 

My M9, sadly was traded for an SL when the sensor corrosion occurred.   I remember how that cameras images were a leap ahead of my p31+ phase one back.  It has its faults, often criticized on these forums for crude sounding shutter wind amongst other non critical issues but I would have kept it. 

• Like 1

I have kept my father’s old Nikon fm and my brother has his Nikkormat ft2 - both are in lovely condition. I also have a Nikon fm3a (currently with a roll of Tri-x in it). Those are the 3 that will be kept, are beautiful to use, and retain that lovely feeling which only great memories provide. 

I first came to use a Leica in 2013 with my first M (M9p and Summicron 35) which I still miss, but part-exchanged it for the M262 - itself a beautiful camera that delivered some lovely images (just as Darylgo says about his M240). Because of the price of owning Leica gear, I simply couldn’t afford to keep them and also continue to add more, but, the positive flip-side of that coin is the relatively good residual/trade-in values which allow me to upgrade. The way I look at it, my first M9p gave me a first step on the Leica ladder and to now owning the SL2-S which is an absolutely great camera and, for me at least, is an even better experience with M lenses than an M body (and I fully accept that I may well be in the minority on that debate). 

Owning Leica gear can force some hard financial decisions. But, I love it - what a ride! 😆👍

Edited by Chris Nebard

Yes, I usually sell them when I get new models.

I did the same with the SL. First I thought I might use it sometimes, but I did not after getting the SL2.

If there is anybody in my family/friends I would certainly rather give it away for a very low price compared to selling it for a higher price to anybody I dont know.

In general I don't get attached to cameras, and certainly not to digital cameras. My cameras have to earn their keep, not in monetary terms, but in use. If I haven't got a use for them they are sold or traded for something else. My M9, M240, TL2, SL and SL2 all went the same way, leaving me with the CL, SL2-S and Sigma fp, all of which are used (the latter for video).

I have had various attachments to film cameras: the Voigtlander Vito C passed on to me by my father, but unforgivably (😉) repossessed when he wanted it again; the Pentax MX which was the first camera I bought for myself; and the M2 that I sold to finance the M9. It was not until many years later that I regretted selling the M2, and have recently paid back some of the emotional debt by buying a M4 (which was what I really wanted when I bought my first used Leica in 1981).

I enjoy my cameras but, for the sake of my mental health, I take care not to love them. I only fondle things that can fondle back.

• Like 1

in my profession I like to update cameras, usually for minor futures improvement, but keep up with what is new on the market.

You always need to push new cost to the accountant.

Older camera just collect dust here. I still have Canon and Sony set up. they probably should go if I don't use them..

I shot film for 20 years and I am glad it is done for me.. I still have few Leicaflex 2 and a Rolleiflex, both lubrication gets sticky and pretty much unusable . I got them CLA so many time and now I just give up on that.

Re: questions 1 & 3...

I'm an M shooter who often hovers around the SL system thread, transiently convinced as of recent that I"ll make the leap. I don't see myself selling my film MP, and it's become increasingly clear I'm hanging on to my M10 for the long haul. Now more so for sentimental reasons, and I'm finding the so-called "limitations" (e.g. ISO ceiling vs SL2-s) are actually deep sources of inspiration for creative and technical ventures. The Nikon D60 that my dad handed down to me--CCD sensor, mind you!--still worked just fine, and as long as DNGs and LR exist, the M10 will still have a seat at the table. When the SLx-Z has 500mp and IS gets fancier, I bet the SL601's meager file size and lack of IBIS will turn out to be a boon to many. 

In terms of digital cameras, I've got an M240 and an SL2. I got the M240 + EVF2 + Leica R-M adapter as my first workable digital platform for all my Leica R lenses. Later I got an SL2 with its IBIS because an age related benign tremor made using the M240 a bit more awkward with the EVF2, R-M adapter and heavier R lenses. But I still enjoy using and can manage the M240 in a lighter weight guise just as an M camera with my lovely little Summarit 35/2.4. The two together fulfil my needs. I can't see myself needing anything else unless they go belly-up.  If I ever needed autofocus, I could get native SL lenses (though "ack-ack" photography in particular is not my genre). Very occasionally I take out my film R9 and enjoy the different, more considered experience of film shooting. I wouldn't sell any of these. I've got a black film Minilux, which I bought as new-old-stock, and will keep because it has some scarcity value, and looks gorgeous.

I've also got a film R8 which I might sell or pass on, and a film CM likewise.

Marilyn thinks I should go back to film, because she thinks film has a different and much nicer look.

I'm quite content with the SL2's but I'm a bit of a gear whore so you can bet if the SL3 came out I'd be selling those SL2's.

I don't really regret selling any of my cameras except my Fuji X series setup. Such lovely files, some of my fave shots on that tiny little camera. It was worth so little I should have kept it.

God riddance to my old Sony setup which was functionally incredible but always a battle colour wise.

I'm a little curious about the 100mp Fuji but hesitant about how it'd fit into my current setup.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:19 PM, hirohhhh said:

SL 601 was my first camera I ever bought and I immediately fell in love with. After SL2 was released, I purchased it, but I never felt that connection as I had with the original SL, which I decided to keep, pack in the box and never sell. I know digital cameras won't have the longevity as the old film cameras, due the discontinuation of software updates, obsolete connectivity, electronic parts, and I will probably sell my SL2 and other cameras once I upgrade them with the new ones, but that original SL is more than a camera to me.

Also, when I'm looking at all my best photos, most were made with SL 601. Brings a lots of memories when I, once in a while take that camera out of the box to get some fresh air. I would love my kids to have it one day, but I'm aware it's not the same thing as it was with the old film cameras that some parents passed to their kids.

I have a couple questions here:

I sold all my cameras each time if and when I upgraded to the latest model (several). IMO a very effective and practical process. I don't tend to adore my camera gear so an easy dollars and cents decision for me when the time is right and I think I can use whatever comes next. I'm a lot slower to sell my lenses as I am of the mind if I find a great copy of a great lens I do plan to keep that lens for the longer term as long as the mount is still relevant.

Edited by LBJ2

Thought about you'er question and indeed I sold my previous digital camera's, even the ones I liked, Nikon D3s, Df. But I still have my analoge stuff, The complete Nikon F serie, especially the F3 and F6. If there comes a SL3 I probably trade the SL2.

On 10/9/2021 at 5:19 PM, hirohhhh said:

Fujifilm xt-2 (graphite edition). This was my first ever camera and I love it to death. I actually sold it and all my lenses to purchase a Q2 (was what I needed at the time for sanity and GAS).  I later regretted getting rid of it for nostalgia. A couple years later I bought it back cos I saw a deal I couldn't refuse 😅

N/a, as the Sl2 was my first sl camera

In general I suck at selling things. I'm too lazy to deal with it and due to financial situation the risks are not worth the reward for me. I tend to trade things in but look for convenience. I don't see digital cameras as assets so I just use them until they no longer provide me value. Value here can be how it makes me feel, does it still help me advice my photographic goals , etc

Oh and last bit related to keeping vs selling' depends on how much shelf space I have lol. I do see lenses as ~ 10 or more year investments. In other words when I purchase a Leica Lens I want to keep it for at least a decade. If not then I'll strongly consider renting or maybe supplementing with a third party solution. But let's be real I don't really care for third party products 😆 so if the Leica doesn't fit my needs I'm not buying it. I have other hobbies unrelated to photography that I can always spend the cash on haha. Sorry for the tangent 😅🙈

I see only 3 reasons to keep a camera:

The first one is because it is a design icon, a Leica T for example.

The second one is because the camera allows another approach to photography like the Leica M

The third one is because the camera corresponds to my expectations and in this case I don't see too much reason to change it. 

I own the SL and the 24-90mm, and I have no valid reason to upgrade. 
The SL is brilliant, the colors are great and the stabilization is provided by the Vario.
If I were to upgrade, I wouldn't keep my old SL.

My approach is to find the best possible camera-lens combination that works for me and to master it to my heart's content so that I can concentrate solely on photography and developing my skills.

With experience I learned to use 2 setups: a M+35mm and a SL+Vario.
So yes we can always have technically nicer pictures with less noise, more definition...

But it won't make better pictures for all that.

• Like 2