How long to get GPS signal lock on S3?

hotshew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Roland, not sure this is actually a technical "problem". The GPS locking, in particular upon a cold start (not having used the camera for a while, or in a new area), on my S 007 is slow too. Sometimes, I even have to switch the camera on and off a few times before it effectively locks. I had complained about this to the Leica customer service but got no satisfactory answer other than this is a "feature", not a "problem". The slow GPS locking is one of my biggest frustrations on the S 007.

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've tied everything short of sending the camera in for service (including power cycling the camera, leaving on for extended periods of time in locations known areas to have good line of site to GPS satellites, resetting the camera to factory defaults, etc.). Given some of the stories shared here, such as yours, I'm not going to bother sending in the camera for the sole purpose of having the GPS function checked out. It's a nice to have feature that that bucks the trend of pairing a smartphone to tag photos (e.g., as with SL => SL2). Probably the only reason the S3 carried forward the GPS function from the 007 is because Leica did nothing to modernize the camera other than the sensor update (Leica really phoned it in, which, to me, signals the end of the line for the S system). Unlike the other dated S3 features, this is one carryover that should have worked in our favor. Since posting, I've given-up on the idea of having the S3 geotag photos for me.

-Roland.

Edited by hotshew