How long to get GPS signal lock on S3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I am new to the S system (S3) and I have yet to get a GPS lock when outdoors. The camera's GPS function is enabled (On) in the menus and the  satellite indicator appears in the top LCD screen with an X, indicating no lock (and I can confirm no GPS metadata in image). Are there any known issues I should be aware of and, if not, how long does it typically take to get a GPS lock assuming open field with no line of site issues? I've searched the forum and found some GPS related post cover time sync problem, but I'm getting nothing. I'm not getting a lock in the same locations that I would get a fast (<10-15s) using my 1Dxii.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks!

-Roland.

2 hours ago, hotshew said:

Hi, I am new to the S system (S3) and I have yet to get a GPS lock when outdoors. The camera's GPS function is enabled (On) in the menus and the  satellite indicator appears in the top LCD screen with an X, indicating no lock (and I can confirm no GPS metadata in image). Are there any known issues I should be aware of and, if not, how long does it typically take to get a GPS lock assuming open field with no line of site issues? I've searched the forum and found some GPS related post cover time sync problem, but I'm getting nothing. I'm not getting a lock in the same locations that I would get a fast (<10-15s) using my 1Dxii.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks!

-Roland.

Never noticed any problems/delay with my S3. I would contact Leica; expect a response within a few days (or ask via the national representative) : https://en.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Repair-Maintenance

Hotshew,   My GPS experience when I owned the S cameras to include the S3 for my business, would often require serveral minutes for the signal to sync.  Also, I found the GPS satellites do go into maintainance mode from time to time, meaning no signal.  Include your location indoors/outdoors, obstructions etc..  You can also try turning off the camera, remove the battery and try again.  Failing that, try a camera reset and then all said...take it back to the Leica store.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

I had a GPS module fail on my S006 a while back. It needed a trip to Wetzlar to get it fixed (no charge), and the camera hasn't missed a beat since. I am quite fond of being able to retrace my steps and travels via such means.

I still haven't heard back from Leica support, but I'm increasingly resigned to the idea that camera will need to be sent to Leica for repair. Still no luck and I've reset camera, tried in a variety of open field locations, and disabled auto-shutdown and no GPS lock even after several minutes. Having an integrated GPS function was one of the S3 selling points for me, so I definitely want the issue addressed. Thanks!

Edited by hotshew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hotshew,  Your S3 is new.  I would either take it back to the Leica dealer for a swap replacement or Leica Customer Service may do that anyways once they get the camera.  It doesn't always happen, but it maybe a possibility.  You should check to see if Leica will give/send you a loaner as well.  Be sure to document all the different things you did/tried to include resetting the camera etc..  The more you tell the technician the symptoms and what you did to resolve the issue, it helps with resolution on your case.  The S3 as you well know is a great camera.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice. By lucky coincidence, the buyer I was selling my GFX lenses to was open to selling his S3 after I had already decided I wanted to get into S system, so I didn't buy new and return is not an option for me. It would be great if I could get a response from Leica though. It's been a few days now and no e-mail response from technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com and I cannot get a person at the 800 number. I'm thrilled with the camera though. Other than GPS issue, it's a joy to shoot with and I love the results I'm getting -- which is the most important thing be far. If needs to go in for service, I'll prob wait until Feb/March timeframe when I'm least active shooting.

-Roland.

Hotshew,  Leica NJ isn't going to be too much help.  The S3 cameras are all serviced at Wetzlar; S lenses as well.  You might try the contact information page on the Leica Camera AG website for the email address for Leica Customer Care at Wetzlar.  If you know the seller, you might want to call the person and get the copy of the receipt/invoice for the camera.  It should be under warranty but you will need the receipt.  If  you have the receipt, you should contact the previous owner and see if the camera was registered with Leica under the warranty.  If so, the person needs to go online and deregistered/delete the camera from their account so you can put it under your name.  The key is the store purchase receipt if you want warranty service.  If the person never registered the camera and you have the receipt then you should be able to call the Leica dealer and have them work the issue with Leica.  In any case, the S3 camera is going to need a vacation to Germany.  I don't want be a kill joy, but there might have been a reason why the person was willing to part with the S3 that you discovered.  There might even be more things that Leica will discover that you haven't and will get resolved once the Leica elves get their hands on it.  Last, you might want to test every function on the S3 to make sure each one works.  r/ Mark

PS...If the seller didn't give you or no longer has the receipt, ask them to contact the store and get copy and send it to you. If there is no receipt, it could be "hot" as over $1.5 million in Leica Store San Francisco cameras and lenses were stolen last summer during the riots.  Most was never recovered.

Edited by LeicaR10

My S3 has the same problem with GPS lock , Leica Wetzlar has already swapped the camera, because of other problems. Unfortunately no improvement.

Very disappointing!

It doesn't work most of the time, and when it does, it's unreliable.

Currently in Japan, GPS lock should work, but doesn't.

-Thomas-

Thanks, Mark, for helping me navigate Leica support! Very helpful. I have no concerns regarding the seller. He's a stand-up guy and is local to me. Other than the GPS issue, the camera performs flawlessly. Admittedly, I haven't tested every camera function, but I've used the camera extensively over the past two weeks and have covered all the basics, so I have no concerns at this time. Let's hope I don't eat my words! 🙂

@pokun, sorry to hear about your plight! It is helpful to know that I may not be alone with this issue, so thank you for sharing. I share your disappointment because reliable GPS is something I was very much looking forward to in the S3 since the trend nowadays is towards tethered smartphone app for geotagging, with only a few notable exceptions. Hence, this is the single "dated" feature that the S3 carries over from 007 that actually benefits us.

Funny enough, I started a thread on SL2/GPS  here on l-camera as well, lamenting Leica's decision to remove the integrated GPS function from the SL2, which SL had. I argue that using a smartphone to proxy location info is overly complex and unreliable relative to integrated GPS. So much for that argument! : -)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb LeicaR10:

PS...If the seller didn't give you or no longer has the receipt, ask them to contact the store and get copy and send it to you. If there is no receipt, it could be "hot" as over $1.5 million in Leica Store San Francisco cameras and lenses were stolen last summer during the riots.  Most was never recovered.

That was indeed a major heist. I was in the (boarded up) store not long after, the rows and rows of empty shelves and cabinets were a very sad sight. 

3 hours ago, djmay said:

Are you relying on the camera’s icon only, or did you check if the GPS data are in the DNG file? It could be that only the icon is not correct.

Hi Jessi

The files contain no location metadata, which is what first drew my attention to the problem. Thanks for asking.

-Roland.

Hi Jessi + Roland

Currently I am traveling in Japan and my cam has some GPS connection issues. I was told that the camera needs time to calibrate after activating the GPS for the first time when the location changes. But the connection should be established after a while and it should also connects faster once it happens. Around Düssedorf district (Germany) it took 15 minutes to get a log, but after a walk through a stairwell the connection was gone again. And the connection issue starts again - it took ages to connect. The written coordinates were wrong. Leica remains covered, even they checked the GPS receiver for functionality, they say, that there is no defect.

-Thomas-

I was told that the camera needs time to calibrate after activating the GPS for the first time when the location changes.

Hi Thomas,

Page 4 or manual also mentions the same. I tried and it makes no difference for me : -( Very helpful to hear your experience though. If I understand your situation correctly, you've had two different S3 cameras, both with GPS issues?

Thanks,

-Roland.

1 hour ago, Pokun said:

but the S3 image quality is outstanding!

I couldn't agree with you more. It's easy to get past the GPS issue and the camera's other flaws & limitations once pull the files up in LR/CO, and I find the shooting experience to be addictively fun and rewarding.

Regarding GPS, you're either incredibly unlucky to get two different cameras with faulty/unreliable GPS module or, possibly, the S3 suffers from a quality control issue/design flaw in GPS subsystem. Not enough data to make a prediction, but the thought has now crossed my mind that issue we're seeing may be a known issue. It would be interesting to take a poll to see how many S3 owners are enabling GPS (in camera function, not via FOTOS) and if satisfied with dependability and performance.

Edited by hotshew
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same issue on MY S006 and S007. After a change of location, I have often to wait more than 10 minutes without moving the camera. Every time I switch on the camera even without moving, I need to wait few minutes before the GPS is locked. I sent the 007 back to Wetzlar and the answer was that it was within the specs. 

I also fin this issue disappointing and thought it was solved on the S3.

I also use a HASSELBLAD X1D and the GPS is faster to lock than the S but not as quick as on the Leica SL which  has an excellent GPS. It is the proof that Leica has a good technology. I don't know why it was note implemented on the S camera.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:26 AM, GLAUMAX said:

I sent the 007 back to Wetzlar and the answer was that it was within the specs.

That sound very frustrating -- hopefully turnaround time was relatively fast (to what I would get) since you're in a neighboring country.

I also had the X1D and SL 006, and the time to get a GPS lock is within acceptable limits (IMO). Thanks for sharing your story. Given you and others have experienced similar on S system, I'm not inclined to send my camera to Wetzlar at this time, as the camera is otherwise functioning perfectly. The lack GPS is disappointing, but the thought of sending the camera in only to be told it meets spec or have it "fixed" but still have issues is discouraging me from doing so. and because I'm very much enjoying shooting with the S3 and am increasingly unmotivated to give it let it go over a non-functional issue : -).

Thanks,

-Roland.