Dilemma - S007/SL2 or S3?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am currently shooting with the following:

Q2M - used for fantastic B/W, high-ISO and small size when traveling light.

SL2-S - used for most day to day shooting and in low-light when I want color (otherwise use the Q2M).  Use it with the following lenses: Canon 11-24mm, CV 15mm III, Leica 16-35mm SL, 28mm SL, 50mm SL, 90-280mm SL (mostly use the 28mm and 50mm).

SL2- use for situations where I want higher resolution files, eg. landscapes, special projects etc.

S007 - Same use case as SL2, but provides a different look and more malleability in post (which I have rapidly started preferring to the SL2 since I have been using it).  SL2 has the advantage of IBIS when used off of a tripod, multi shot for even higher resolution, being able to use both SL and S lenses, and other tech advantages, but I prefer the look of the S007 files, and don't like the SL2 files at higher ISO.  I have the 24mm, 35mm, 70mm CS and 180mm S lenses.

Right now, I struggle between taking the SL2 and the S007 when I go out to shoot landscapes and more serious shooting, and really want to simplify my kit (I know, this is a really nice "problem" to have and am grateful to be able to use all of this amazing gear).  I am thinking about selling both the SL2 and the S007, and possibly my 16-35mm SL, to get a used S3 (if I can find one).  There is something appealing about NOT having so many options and just having the clear choice of taking the S camera with the few wonderful S lenses and that's it.  And a S3 would provide me with somewhat better sensor performance than the S007, higher resolution and potentially better color (reds in particular).  Am I nuts? (don't answer that ;)

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter

• Like 2

I would happily get rid of every camera I own except the S3 and my phone 😇. I'm using an S(007) again for a bit and I really miss the S3 (it's having a tethering issue).. My SL gear is out on loan, or I'd sell it. Yes, the 90-280 is miraculous, but it's not enough reason to keep the rest of the system.

Matt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmendelson said:

I am currently shooting with the following:

Q2M - used for fantastic B/W, high-ISO and small size when traveling light.

SL2-S - used for most day to day shooting and in low-light when I want color (otherwise use the Q2M).  Use it with the following lenses: Canon 11-24mm, CV 15mm III, Leica 16-35mm SL, 28mm SL, 50mm SL, 90-280mm SL (mostly use the 28mm and 50mm).

SL2- use for situations where I want higher resolution files, eg. landscapes, special projects etc.

S007 - Same use case as SL2, but provides a different look and more malleability in post (which I have rapidly started preferring to the SL2 since I have been using it).  SL2 has the advantage of IBIS when used off of a tripod, multi shot for even higher resolution, being able to use both SL and S lenses, and other tech advantages, but I prefer the look of the S007 files, and don't like the SL2 files at higher ISO.  I have the 24mm, 35mm, 70mm CS and 180mm S lenses.

Right now, I struggle between taking the SL2 and the S007 when I go out to shoot landscapes and more serious shooting, and really want to simplify my kit (I know, this is a really nice "problem" to have and am grateful to be able to use all of this amazing gear).  I am thinking about selling both the SL2 and the S007, and possibly my 16-35mm SL, to get a used S3 (if I can find one).  There is something appealing about NOT having so many options and just having the clear choice of taking the S camera with the few wonderful S lenses and that's it.  And a S3 would provide me with somewhat better sensor performance than the S007, higher resolution and potentially better color (reds in particular).  Am I nuts? (don't answer that ;)

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter

A fine combo is S3 and SL2-S, the latter with endless of FF lenses available + IBIS + high ISO + quite snappy and working AF (fot the first time for Leica); the former for (near) perfection with soul. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter,   You have dilemma all right.  When I owned all the S cameras to include the S007 and S3 and most S lenses for my business it was to meet a specific need for very selective clients who needed/wanted very large photographs.  They would only accept the rendering created by the Leica lenses and sensors.  I have since sold my business to my aspiring assistants and semi-retired.  Yes, the S3 does hold the reds better and offers more MPs for large printing.  But, IMO if you are not printing large and I mean larger than 6 ft X 4 ft etc, the S007, SL2 and SL2-S are more than adequate to create beautiful prints.  It will get down to your analyzing what lenses and cameras that help you create the best photographs that makes you content.  I have two acquaintances that own the S3 and S lenses....frankly, their photographs are seriously lacking in many respects.  They both have buyers remorse and regret giving up the S007s and their bank accounts have remorse too.  I would suggest that you look at the meta data of all your various cameras and lenses that helped create your photographs and determine which cameras and lenses you used most of the time.  Once you have done that...ask yourself over a couple days this question;  Do I NEED a S3 or do I WANT a S3?  There is a difference between Needing and Wanting.  Finally, ask yourself, what is your current inventory of cameras and lenses NOT doing for your genre photography that warrants a S3?  In my case, I was fortunate to have very selective clients who demanded very large prints and a certain "look"....and they gladly presented their black AMEX cards to buy the photographs.  Just some thoughts to help you...last, GAS is a terrible affection. Years ago, I went to GAS rehab several times, only to learn the hard way...there is no cure.  I solved my GAS addiction and dilemma by simply asking myself the aforementioned questions and both reality and common sense prevailed for me.  You will discover the answers to your dilemma within yourself and by looking at your current superb photographs.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, pmendelson said:

I am thinking about selling both the SL2 and the S007, and possibly my 16-35mm SL, to get a used S3 (if I can find one).  There is something appealing about NOT having so many options and just having the clear choice of taking the S camera with the few wonderful S lenses and that's it.  

makes perfect sense, get the S3, and maybe a CL for casual snapshots

• Like 1

Got no experience with the S system. 

But to say IMHO the S renders best of any digital system ever made, except maybe for every Sigma Foveon camera ever made.

So, to continue to upgrade in the S would made perfect sense to me. If I shot mainly digital and had (much) deeper pockets and (much, much) stronger shoulders, that's what I'd have.

• Like 2

What a great question - inspiring and comforting at the same time! I believe that if you can afford it, you should do it.

I have landed on an M9-P, SL2-S and an S3 set and I cannot imagine what more I would need or want. This covers all my photographic needs, but also all my GAS desires.

The photos are sublime and way beyond anything that I ever thought I could produce myself.

Best, GN

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Like you, I recently sold my GFX100s and lenses. Practically, I didn't find the GFX system produced better images or files than my SL2, just more resolution. On the other hand, I found the experience of shooting the SL2 to be much more enjoyable, and, as a result, the GFX sat in a drawer once the initial novelty wore off. Previously, I hadn't considered the S system because of its cost and several dated aspects such as single-point AF, Compact Flash, rear screen, etc. However, selling the GFX led me to reevaluate the S3. As chance would have it, the person I sold my GFX lenses to (a local buyer) had an S3 that he was open to selling, and I bought it.

To your question, I'm leaning towards using the S3 as my primary landscape shooter. I wasn't too sure at first because of the weight, but I'm enjoying the OVF more than expected, and, surprisingly, I prefer the shooting experience of the S3 to my SL2 (very unexpected!). Both systems deliver outstanding results, but I give the edge to the S3 in terms of overall IQ. I find the SL/Sigma lenses to be somewhat sharper, but the S glass has a more organic quality that appeals to me, and I need to do very little processing in post to get the look that I love. In short, I couldn't be happier with the images I'm getting out of the S3 (as an ex-GFX and X1D shooter). As for S3 vs. 007, most people argue that the extra resolution is not needed unless printing large, but there are other benefits such as how far can crop, downsampling, etc.

-Roland.

Attaching a couples photos from first outing with my S3.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15

Beautiful shots Roland.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  After a lot more thought, including going out again and shooting my SL2 next to my S007, I finally decided to not get a S3, and in fact am parting ways with my S007 since a friend of a friend wanted to buy it.  When thinking about the S3 (or continuing to use the S007), I had told myself that having the S system would motivate me to carry around my tripod a lot more and bring my backpack.  However, I finally "got real" with myself and accepted the fact that for a lot of the type of photography I do, I am often shooting in the cities, on family vacations, etc., and I am not going to want to bring large and heavy gear (and I did not like how conspicuous shooting the large and somewhat noisy S007 made me feel in public places). In fact, I have a trip coming up shortly with friends and family, and while I want to do some landscape photography on the side when I have time, I don't want to lug heavy/large gear with me. Even the SL2 with several lenses is too much. Instead, I am planning to bring my Q2M, and a Hasselblad 907x and 45p and 21mm lens, which will all fit within a pretty small bag.

I am keeping my 24mm S and 180mm S lenses for now to shoot on my SL2 and SL2-S - it's nice to have those focal lengths in primes for the SL2 and IBIS definitely helps with the 180mm.

My overall lesson from this experience is not to invest too much in gear with unrealistic expectations of how much I will use it or that I will change my shooting habits to accommodate the gear.  If I were mainly a tripod-based landscape shooter that would be a different story.

Thanks again everyone.

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you reached closure Peter. I very much relate to your lesson learned : -) I haven't tried the S lenses on my SL2 yet but am very curious to A/B compare same lenses on both bodies. I suspect results will be very similar based on intuition and post on topic providing samples. I generally use tripod for landscapes, but there are be times when I don't want to carry or be bothered, and I expect the SL2 will make a great complement to the S3 w/ it's IBIS.

I have the SL2 and the 007 (and also a 907x and tons of Ms).  The reason I keep the SL2 is the video for the kids.  It's amazingly smooth because of IBIS and I'll keep using it and its SL successors until the kids grow up.  The 007 is super fun, I got all the 10 S lenses, and it's worth taking out once in a while.  Both systems are heavy but the SL2 is certainly more attuned to travel with many lenses, especially now with the light and awesome Sigma ones.  The Sigma zoom, 28-70, is the exact size of an AL APO  Summicron but lighter and almost as good as the 24-70.  The 24/3.5 is super-small and apparently now there are 24/2.0 and 90/2.0 choices.  I'd just keep them both. especially with an S-to-L adapter.  You can make gorgeous video with the S cinema lenses!
And if you like the S, there will come a time in 3-5 years when we'll pick up used S3s for about $5K, as 007s of today.

Edited by setuporg

16 hours ago, setuporg said:

I have the SL2 and the 007 (and also a 907x and tons of Ms).  The reason I keep the SL2 is the video for the kids.  It's amazingly smooth because of IBIS and I'll keep using it and its SL successors until the kids grow up.  The 007 is super fun, I got all the 10 S lenses, and it's worth taking out once in a while.  Both systems are heavy but the SL2 is certainly more attuned to travel with many lenses, especially now with the light and awesome Sigma ones.  The Sigma zoom, 28-70, is the exact size of an AL APO  Summicron but lighter and almost as good as the 24-70.  The 24/3.5 is super-small and apparently now there are 24/2.0 and 90/2.0 choices.  I'd just keep them both. especially with an S-to-L adapter.  You can make gorgeous video with the S cinema lenses!
And if you like the S, there will come a time in 3-5 years when we'll pick up used S3s for about $5K, as 007s of today.

I am torn between the SL2 and S 007 and I so appreciate reading this thread. I have a Fuji GFX 100S and find it uninspiring to I use but love the files for everything but skin tones., I have tired everything to get them to my liking including creating camera profiles. I have used the SL2 and 007 and the skin tones are so much more to my liking. The 007 has better skin tones then the SL2. I also have found the 120 S to be a fantastic portrait lens as well. The SL2 is much more practical and easier to use but the 007 much more enjoyable to use and the files are better…

I plan to keep the GFX 100S but have to decide to add the SL2 or 007…… or but both……

• Like 2

If you like the S there's nothing like it.  The SL2 is cool but I'd say unexceptional compared to M or Q2.  Being in the Leica ecosystem it's hard to choose and probably a combination of M/Q/SL/S is still a way to go.:). Since you are OK with the GFX size the S system will be not much different -- the body might be a bit bigger but the lenses are big too.

• 3 months later...
Am 12.10.2021 um 15:23 schrieb pmendelson:

Beautiful shots Roland.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  After a lot more thought, including going out again and shooting my SL2 next to my S007, I finally decided to not get a S3, and in fact am parting ways with my S007 since a friend of a friend wanted to buy it.  When thinking about the S3 (or continuing to use the S007), I had told myself that having the S system would motivate me to carry around my tripod a lot more and bring my backpack.  However, I finally "got real" with myself and accepted the fact that for a lot of the type of photography I do, I am often shooting in the cities, on family vacations, etc., and I am not going to want to bring large and heavy gear (and I did not like how conspicuous shooting the large and somewhat noisy S007 made me feel in public places). In fact, I have a trip coming up shortly with friends and family, and while I want to do some landscape photography on the side when I have time, I don't want to lug heavy/large gear with me. Even the SL2 with several lenses is too much. Instead, I am planning to bring my Q2M, and a Hasselblad 907x and 45p and 21mm lens, which will all fit within a pretty small bag.

I am keeping my 24mm S and 180mm S lenses for now to shoot on my SL2 and SL2-S - it's nice to have those focal lengths in primes for the SL2 and IBIS definitely helps with the 180mm.

My overall lesson from this experience is not to invest too much in gear with unrealistic expectations of how much I will use it or that I will change my shooting habits to accommodate the gear.  If I were mainly a tripod-based landscape shooter that would be a different story.

Thanks again everyone.

Peter

Hi Peter,

have you been "happy" with your choice so far? How does it work for you?