White spots on inside barrel of Nocti F1

6bit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are these spots normal? They are on the inside of the barrel of a v4 Noctiluck F1 I purchased from M&K Kamera Trading Limited off eBay. 

I sent the lens into Leica to be brought back to as new condition as they could get it. I got it back today and the spots are there, so I am at a loss for these spots. Any ideas?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looks like “Schneideritis”...there should be threads I imagine on here re the 40mm Rokkor which is a well-known sufferer - or Google is your friend.

As I am about to purchase from M&K - did they mention anything about this issue in their (often very brief) description of the condition of your lens???

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1

No, they did not mention this in their description nor could I see it in the photos. Thank you. Schneideritis is exactly what it looks like.

It would also make sense because this had "dust," which I now realize was a larger than dust size piece of paint centered through the lens. 

Edited by 6bit
Update on the dust

there are some black coating inside the barrel.  some discolored/chip off due to aging/weathering or some due to CLA mistake.  Few of my vintage lenses have it too, I don't see anything wrong on images, probably would if I shot something really bright I believe?

DAG should be able to paint it for you I guess...

Edited by jaeger
  • Like 1

Since Your lens just went to Leica for service and came back this way and they didn't address this, i'd assume it's harmless to the function of the lens.
I had a Telephoto R lens with something similar, i sent it to DAG for a needed CLA and he didn't address the issue, I recall he said it was finish that had worn off of mine.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I believe it's a slight deterioration of anti-reflective coatings. It looks much worse than it is in reality, as the effect is magnified through the glass. Frequently seen on old lenses, nothing to worry about, it doesn't usually affect pictures. Extreme cases of schneideritis (when the paint starts to chip off), however, do require a repaint. I have had a couple of lenses suffering from this. My understanding is that it's not a difficult job, which in my experience was rather inexpensive (through a third-party technician, not Leica...) when done concurrently with a full CLA, since the lens needs to be dismantled anyway. In your particular case, if Leica didn't do anything about it, I'd leave it alone.