Leica MP black discontinued?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

My link above is also the official German HQ link. The store is owned by them. It says "ITEM NO LONGER AVAILABLE" and the BP MP body picture has disappeared as well.

'Item no longer available' (subtext - until we build some more).

This has been the case for years and years, the film cameras are built in batches and it's not unreasonable to suppose the BP sells more than the silver so it's the first to sell out, and especially scarce as overall production will have been affected by Covid restrictions. Neither can I remember a case when Leica have not announced in advance when dropping a camera from the range, which they haven't. So we are left with the OP's hysteria, so lets hope there isn't ever a real crisis.

• Like 1

Well I hope you are right 

normally when it is not available for sale at the moment only, it says so and does not disappear altogether like now

Anyway,  since I own one and prices for a used black MP would increase even further, it is for my benefit when I sell finally before I die, so who cares :)

Edited by south64

So I have checked with Leica Shop and the issue is, they only receive one MP BP piece every couple of months or so and the back order log is so long that they had to take it down from the site. It is NOT being officially discontinued. Hope this ends the discussion.

OTOH, the M10-R Black Paint also is quite rare but comes to the store much more often and thus remains on the order page. Also, as I have stated several times before, the 2000 pieces of the M10-R is NOT the final number IF THERE WILL BE FURTHER DEMAND. It was kindly explained to me that in case of LIMITED EDITION, the cameras would have been equipped with numbers as usual (XXXX/2000).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:32 PM, Al Brown said:

So I have checked with Leica Shop and the issue is, they only receive one MP BP piece every couple of months or so and the back order log is so long that they had to take it down from the site. It is NOT being officially discontinued. Hope this ends the discussion.

• Thanks 1

It makes a change from me ordering my MP in 2002 and completely forgetting I'd done it until my Leica stockist called early 2003 to say it was in now stock and I owed them a lot of money. One of the first, still not needing a CLA, they made them well in those days 😄

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Giguchan said:

I wanted to find one before i went up to Boston  ..  No really a "wire"  perhaps  we'll call it" just in time"

Ahh, I see.  I thought you meant before the BP MP was no longer available, which it should continue to be since it is apparently not discontinued.

Congratulations on the camera!

Edited by logan2z

Hey Logan!!

Thanks for the Congrats!

I WAS a tad worried about the MP being discontinued- I think that was just because   I had such a hard time finding one.

Now i know  how they're made and how often and how many shops get them I am relaxed.  0563 is my lot number...  Incidentally.

Does anyone know  how to gauge  when it was built?  I have my Cards n things but i don't think it will tell me that

Thanks again.