What is you're favorite M-lens you have used and still using - tell me your love story! And what M-lens you least liked

fbonde

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Havely inspired by this tread link below - It made me think, what is my favorite M-lens in my bag? I have been privilege enough to gather some 10+ m-lenses over the years and been lucky enough to test some of the most expensive ones (noctilux, 50mm, 75mm and 90mm).  I know it's hard to say since it depends on different factors and projects. But if I had to choose one that makes me happy, it got to be the Summilux 28mm. (my second is the 21mm summilux). I feel i can do anything with that lens. On the M10-R i feel i produce some fantastic colors. Its well balanced on the M-body. I thin the 28mm summilux is one of the best lenses ever made.

What is yours? And why?

Favorite combo 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fbonde
  • Like 2

• fbonde changed the title to What is you're favorite M-lens you have used and still using - tell me your love story! And what M-lens you least liked

Hi fbonde, just had to smile because I just read in another thread from some that the Summilux would not be a choice for them because too big and too heavy.
Two years ago I chose the Summicron for the same reasons but was always fascinated by photos taken with the Summilux, the image drawing at open aperture was something very special.
About a year ago I decided to buy a used Summilux 28 and at first I thought I would use them both depending on what I had to do. Very quickly I realized that I only used the Summilux, are two lenses in one, stopped down perfect image quality (like the Summicron), at f1.4 this wonderful lightness. Is difficult to explain, you have to see for yourself. Since then my absolute favorite lens on my M10M. Even thinking of buying a color Leica again just for this lens.
My least favorite lens? I don't have one, each has its strengths.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, strohscw said:

Hi fbonde, just had to smile because I just read in another thread from some that the Summilux would not be a choice for them because too big and too heavy.
Two years ago I chose the Summicron for the same reasons but was always fascinated by photos taken with the Summilux, the image drawing at open aperture was something very special.
About a year ago I decided to buy a used Summilux 28 and at first I thought I would use them both depending on what I had to do. Very quickly I realized that I only used the Summilux, are two lenses in one, stopped down perfect image quality (like the Summicron), at f1.4 this wonderful lightness. Is difficult to explain, you have to see for yourself. Since then my absolute favorite lens on my M10M. Even thinking of buying a color Leica again just for this lens.

I can relate so much. For me, the 35mm summilux was my travel do it all lens. It still is, but after I got the 28mm summilux, it changed everything. About the weight, I find reviews and people's thoughts are very valuable, especially here, but at the end of the day, you need to try it with your own hands and make your own judgment. 

About the "least" liked M-lens, I agree I dont have any that I dont like I feel they have their own character. Maybe the one that surprised me the most and most value for $ is the 18mm Elmar. Fantastic lens. 

14 minutes ago, strohscw said:

Beautiful pictures of landscapes, architecture and Panorama on your website.  
I think a lot about summilux 28. But APO 35 is also very tempting.

The images on your website are very “28”?  are they take with summilux / summichrom ? 

What is your feeling at f 2 - Is summilux and summichrom the same expression and sharpness.  On F 2 ? 

• Like 1

Since 2004 I have owned and used the following: 

28m Elmarit-M ASPH

28mm Summicron-M ASPH 

35mm Summilux pre-ASPH

35mm Summilux-M ASPH

35mm Summicron-M ASPH 

40mm C-Summicron

50mm Noctilux f/1 E58

50mm Summilux pre-ASPH E46

50mm Summilux-M ASPH

50mm Summicron V5

90mm Elmarit-M 

90mm Apo-Summicron-M 

90mm Macro-Elmar-M 

Out of all these, my most favorite lens is the 28mm Summicron (with the 35mm summilux pre-asph a close second and complementary to the 28mm summicron).

The ones that I never really liked are the 35mm Summicron-M ASPH, and the 90mm Elmarit-M, couldn't see anything special with those two. All the 50's are great (with the Noctilux being special for what it is), and I really like the 90mm Macro-Elmar although I don't use it as much. 

• Like 2

I don't count my M lenses anymore but my favorite in good light is the Elmar-M 50/2.8 since the M6J in 1994. I'm fond of triplet designs generally and this one is the best ever made AFAIK. As for M lenses i dislike i can think of only one the CV 35/1.4 SC v1 but v2 of the same lens is one of my favorites in low light.

• Like 2

For me, this is like asking "What's your favorite musical note?" ;) I like playing chords.

But I can say that the first lens I've bought in any system since 1978 is something in the 17-21mm range. And Leica M was no exception - it was the 21mm Elmarit pre-ASPH that brought me to the dance.

Least favorite - any 50mm. I'd rather use a 35/28, or 75, depending. Classify me as ab"normal." ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adan said:

For me, this is like asking "What's your favorite musical note?" ;) I like playing chords.

But I can say that the first lens I've bought in any system since 1978 is something in the 17-21mm range. And Leica M was no exception - it was the 21mm Elmarit pre-ASPH that brought me to the dance.

Least favorite - any 50mm. I'd rather use a 35/28, or 75, depending. Classify me as ab"normal." ;)

ab normal x2 then😅. I much prefer the 28/35 75 combo. I don't know about the 50mm I have always had a love-"hate" relation to that focal length. 

4 hours ago, adan said:

I can relate, somehow! I had the APO75 some while ago and can't help that the nifty fifty can be a bit difficult / boring to use. It was more (kind of) a rational decision to stick with the Lux 50 due to the size and versatility. Nowadays I can always crop the get a 75 image (although that does not change the perspective but that's a different kind of topic). Having said that, I feel guilty (some bits).

• Like 1

My setup for one camera + one lens on deserted island will be Summaron 35mm f3.5 and M246 monochrom...   😇 Just love simplicity and small size of this one. Last but not least Summaron is great lens for BW, also has minimal distortion.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Monochrome_Man
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For me, the 35mm Summicron v4 is the one that consistently delivers the magic on B&W film.  Size and handling are great too.  Least favorite?  That's a tough one, as I like them all.  Let's just say that my 135mm Tele-Elmar is my least used lens.

• Like 1

My favorite is Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.2 Asph VM.

The reasons are that it is

- compact for what it is.

- razor sharp / super high resolving stopped down.

- sharp enough wide open, but has a beautiful, soft bokeh and transition zone.

It hasn't wavy field curvature, but a mild regular type, which means I can get away with a hand held landscape shot when it is dark at f/1.4 or f/2.

It can be used on non-M cameras without issues too.

I used to "hate" the 50mm focal length and never used my Summicron in the analog days and "always" the 35mm Summicron v4, but nowadays 35mm seems meh to me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve tried all Leica lenses in the 35mm and 50mm focal length. Do you wanna know which ones I kept? The humble Elmar 50mm and 35mm f3.5 :) Tiny, reliable, light, with a beautiful simple rendering. I do miss the 35mm 8 elements (but I now have the Light lens Lab 35mm 8e homage so that’s covered) and the 50mm rigid (although it was a bit too big for me in the end, the rendering was lovely and the external design is the most beautiful Leica has ever designed).