Is the M8 So Troublesome

Thomasru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being a M6TTL film shooter I'm amazed at the number of problems users of the M8 seem to have:mad: . Do Cannon and Nikon have this number of problems with their digital camera's. Every time I think of buying a M8 :D I look at the forum and wonder if the money will be wasted:confused: At present I think Leica should be extending the warranty on the M8 to a lot more than it gives at present if it expects people like myself to buy the M8 as it stands.:rolleyes: Being a amatuer photograher I haven't money to waste on a questionable product. Though I certainly would like to go M8 ( I have 5 M lenses and a Digilux 2 ) I wonder if I ever will.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to the beta-tester for a 4000-dollar camera, go ahead. if you want to take pictures, look at canon or nikon. its that easy

5k, and honestly it doesn't feel beta to me, and I would never carry the large canon or nikon dslr that could eventually give me pictures that good.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being a M6TTL film shooter I'm amazed at the number of problems users of the M8 seem to have . Do Cannon and Nikon have this number of problems with their digital camera's. Every time I think of buying a M8 I look at the forum and wonder if the money will be wasted At present I think Leica should be extending the warranty on the M8 to a lot more than it gives at present if it expects people like myself to buy the M8 as it stands Being a amatuer photograher I haven't money to waste on a questionable product. Though I certainly would like to go M8 ( I have 5 M lenses and a Digilux 2 ) I wonder if I ever will.

maybe you could just explain what you wanted to tell us with this post? :rolleyes: do you mean that all those (incl. myself) who bought an m8 wasted their money? :eek: omg, now i feel really bad then.

if you want to the beta-tester for a 4000-dollar camera, go ahead. if you want to take pictures, look at canon or nikon. its that easy

:eek: i didnt know that i'm a beta tester, where can i claim my reward for that? :rolleyes: just another platitude filled post, keep on reading forums to build up your opinion, there is nothing like a real world where people use this camera and even get paid for the results :cool:

That's a 5000 dollar camera and I haven't used my Nikon in months.

Funny how all the trolls show up in threads like this one.

Once you own one, or at least use one for a period of time, then you may comment on it. But until then why not keep your comments focused on what you actually know something about. That certainly isn't the Leica Digital M.

When you buy on the leading-bleeding edge of any technology you become by definition a beta tester. Given the number of issues discovered after the camera was shipping, only a fanatic would tell you that a $5k item, be it a camera or a TV set, wasn't a beta product still in need of more testing and refinement.

Suppose you purchased a new 100" HDTV with superb color depth, extreme contrast ranges, and super brightness that everyone that owned one claimed the picture was beyond anything they had seen before. However, the unit exhibits a few minor problems. Whenever anyone enters the room with a black synthetic shirt that color suddenly shifts to magenta and the remote control has a few issues too. Sometimes when you go to change the channel up or down it jumps 2 or 3 channels and sometimes it ignores you and does nothing. Other times when you go to change the sound you get zebra stripes on the picture. Other times, the screen goes black until you pull the battery out of the remote and let it sit overnight. The manufacturer has released a few fixes, some of which work but most of the problems are still unresolved 10 months later (but they are promising to release fixes at a faster rate) would you not call yourself a beta tester?

I certainly feel I am.

After firmware 1.7 it's not troublesome for me (and I've had no real issues with my two bodies). Still waiting for a few tweaks that I'd appreciate, but as of now it's a working tool that professionals are using NOW to make their livings with. Sure, Canon and Nikon are used by working pros too. It's a choice.

From my 6+ months of usage so far, the M8 doesn't in the slightest feel like a beta-version of a camera. Any problems I've had with it (which have been minimal) are no worse than I've experienced with by Nikon DSLR, which has been gathering dust since the day the M8 arrived.

Now if Leica needs beta testers for the M9, where do I sign up?

Guest tummydoc
Being a M6TTL film shooter I'm amazed at the number of problems users of the M8 seem to have:mad:

Truthfully the M8 has not had a larger number of problems than the M6TTL or M7, it's just that the M8's problems tend to render it useless until sorted. That's typical of fully-electronic devices in general.

Do Cannon and Nikon have this number of problems with their digital camera's.

One reads a similar number of problem-oriented threads on the internet for Nikon and Canon as for Leica. The difference is that the Nikon and Canon bodies represent sales in the millions of units, vs Leica in the tens of thousands.

Every time I think of buying a M8 :D I look at the forum and wonder if the money will be wasted:confused:

Perhaps you'll find the resolution to your confusion by looking at your photography instead of internet chatrooms.

At present I think Leica should be extending the warranty on the M8

Agree 110%. It's scandalous to the point of obscenity that the soon-to-be $6000 M8 carries the same limited 2-year warranty as the $600 mass-market point-and-push D-Lux 3, and significantly less than is offered with an M7.

if you find it normal to screw filters on each lens to get correct colors, to have a white-balance that does not work, to have sometimes to fix your rangefinder with an allen key then you have to be a patient bunch. all i can say is that my canon 1d Mk IIn blows the m8 out of the water with its l-lenses. they are better and cheaper than leitz offerings too. what about a 24/1,4, or a 85/1,2 for the m8?

Being a M6TTL film shooter I'm amazed at the number of problems users of the M8 seem to have:mad: . Do Cannon and Nikon have this number of problems with their digital camera's. Every time I think of buying a M8 :D I look at the forum and wonder if the money will be wasted:confused: At present I think Leica should be extending the warranty on the M8 to a lot more than it gives at present if it expects people like myself to buy the M8 as it stands.:rolleyes: Being a amatuer photograher I haven't money to waste on a questionable product. Though I certainly would like to go M8 ( I have 5 M lenses and a Digilux 2 ) I wonder if I ever will.

Actually I really haven't had any problems with the image quality of any of the 3 M8's I've had. The first one worked flawlessly but showed some spots on the sensor that looked like brass and they seemed to be under the sensor cover glass. That same unit had a chip in the casing that looked like it had been repaired. I bought what I thought was a NEW M8 and with the casing chipped and repair I would not call it NEW. Leica NJ replaced that camera, for both reasons stated above. In the time that camera was in NJ and being replaced I bought a second, Black, M8. Both the replacement unit and the new black unit have worked without one glitch/hitch or flaw.

It is estimated that Leica has sold 20,000 M8's world wide to date. I don't think there are 20,000 members of this whole forum site let alone 20,000 different posters in the M8 forum. So the posts you see on this site of problems is a very small sampling of total M8 owners.

I would suggect you don't buy a M8. You might be happy about owning one and that wouldn't fit you, from what I see.

Harry,

Two questions: 1. do you use an M8?

2. why do you bother to read this forum?

I don't have a Canon or Nikon DSLR, and don't read what users have to say about them. But I don't advise people about whether they'd be smart to buy one either.

Thanks for your well informed insight. I'll give it the attention it deserves.

Well my Canon 1DMKII had to go in for repair, my 100-400 L IS went in 3 times for repair then they replaced it, my 70-300 DO lens has been in once for repair. So if I go by those statistics my canon gear is way less reliable. Also there is no comparison for image quality.