Changing myself from a 50mm person to a 35mm one

Shu_downunder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use to shoot people, mainly families, using 50mm, 80mm and even 200mm. I guess I'm a 50mm person, at least not a 35mm one.

After I started to use a M246, I bring it everywhere. Actually it never leaves me. When I go to work, it's in my bag. When I drive, it in another bag where I can reach easily. When I'm in the study room at home, it's on my desk. When I walk to my parent's house with my kids, it's on my neck or in my hand.

I'm not using it doing anything big, but to record my life.

Because I bring it everywhere, and because I'm planning to bring it wherever I travel in the future, I started to seriously consider to use one, and only one lens MOST of the time. Unless I'm doing some special purpose shooting, like architecture, when I use my beloved 2.8/28PC.

By the way, all the above lenses are R lens. Now I'm deciding which will be the only M lens I will get and USE.

Since it's the only one lens, and more importantly, since it is used to record life not purely create some art or just for fun, this lens has to be more versatile. 

Thus 35mm comes into the consideration list. However I was not a 35mm person. So, after getting some advices here, I brought a Voigtlander 2.5/35 to see if I can handle 35mm.

After a few month's of casual shooting, I started to get a tiny bit of feel of 35mm. The context in the picture is really essential while recording my families. It tells the story better. I start to enjoy 35mm.

I guess I have changed myself from a 50mm to a 35mm one.

Now I started to look at different options: 1.4/35 fle, 2.0/35, or the new 2.0/35 APO.

The first I started to consider, and first to be removed on the list, is 1.4/35 fle. As speed is less of a consideration because of the high ISO performance of M246, the shallower dof is not that attractive to me, as I'm rarely take any PLANNED portrait, and it comes at a cost of larger size.

Then it become the competition between the non APO or APO version of Summicron.

The 0.7 closest focusing distance, sometime, does bother me now and then. Will it become a decisive factor? Maybe not. But the 0.3mm closest f-distance indeed is very attractive.

Although the more sharpness and better performance is less appealing to me as a amateur, the APO seems the one to go for me. Nevertheless, it is the only ONE M I'm going to use most of the time.

However, I'll need to sell a couple of my good R lenses to get it. Considering those R lenses spend most of their time in a dry box and their use is nothing but to prove that I own them, it sounds like a reasonable move to sell them for the APO.

But then I hesitate. Never sell a Leica lens😅

Any advice please? 

Shu_downunder,   It appears you have already made a number of decisions on what is the best focal length lens for your genre of photography.  You will find photographers on the forum that will offer all kinds of well intentioned advice.  This includes me.  But at the end of the day, only you can decide what is best for your photography and wallet.  I can say, the 35 Apo Summicron based on my experience of owning and using the lens for the last 4 months is a masterpiece of optical engineering.  It is incredible at resolving details that are not IMO obtainable with the other Leica 35mm lenses.  BUT...resolution of detail is not the only factor for me.  How the lens renders the scene is far more important to me, than just a highly resolving and corrected gem of a 35mm lens and this leads me back to the other superb Leica 35mm lenses, new and old.  Perhaps you can borrow or rent the updated version of the Leica 35 Summicron and take it for a several day test drive.  Finally, it will once again be your decision what works best for you and your wallet.  I hope this helps you, but ultimately I hope you find the 35mm lens that helps you create photographs that make the viewer; Stop, Look, Think and Feel something about that moment in time.  I am certain you will find it.   r/ Mark

PS...You might take a look at this article on Street Silhouettes and his comparisons on the different versions of Leica 35mm lenses.  He has written several articles that you can look around on his former site and find his Leica 35mm lens versions and comparisons.  Try:

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2016/5/31/comparing-3-generations-of-35mm-summicrons

Edited by LeicaR10

I will echo LeicaR10 guy above.

The adage of "never sell a Leica lens" has a corollary or two such as "never sell a Voigtlander either". The Color Skopar 35mm 2.5 is one of the best. Looking at a normal print, you will not tell the difference from sharpness alone. It was stupid for me to sell it because it was already good enough and the Leica just costs more. On the other hand, I have sold a couple Leica lenses that I was not using or were too inconvenient and I don't regret it (I use the 1-year rule: If I don't use something in a year, it goes). 

The new APO 'Cron has that handy 0.3m close focus but you still lose the rangefinder function and must switch to live view. You would get the same user experience by adapting your R lenses to an M. So in my opinion, not that handy (It is so sharp however, that you will likely not see the difference on a M240 series body. You will want an M10R to see the difference and print BIG).

If DOF is not a concern, and you are set on Leica, try the Summarit 35 f2.4. You won't regret it.

• Like 2

There are an infinity of Leica 35 to lenses from which to choose.  Not sure why you want to ditch the Voigtlander though.  It seems size wise, etc it might fit your use case pretty well.

If I was going in brand new for a 35 I’d get the APO.  I see that one as a good future proof option that will live well on any body going forward.

I use the 35 Cron , Lux (current versions) but they but stay home for the lighter 28 Summaron most of the time ( in a use case similar to yours).  If I’m out “photographing” the lens selection opens up to everything…

I have been 50 simply because nothing else was available and life used to be less crowded somehow. I used 50 in eighties. As the only lens.

Got back to 50 circa 2010 and used 50 as main lens for everything until 2016 or so. 

With family growing and else getting crowded around us, I switched to 35. And used it as main lens until recently. Now I don't mind to use 21, 28 at all.

At some point I realized what 0.7m concern is not really about getting close. Getting close is getting close with 28 and 21 lens.

Not my money, but I see zero reason for APO, FLE and 1.4 as everyday, everywhere lens on Monochrome. Bulk for no reason, rather than feeling good about owning such lens. IMO.

Viogtalnder are great economy lenses. Some of their 35 are compact (practical) as well. But for Monochrome and feel good with way better build and handling I would recommend Summarit-M 35 2.5. It is aspherical, not big not heavy and build handling are so good it is the only Leica lens I'm founding worth to keep. It is best everyday, everywhere lens I ever had.

This is in terms of 35mm lens.

I don't have Monochrome, but like BW. The only reason I also got CV 35 1.4 MKII is because M-E 220 has only 2500 ISO as high. With such low ISO f1.4 makes sense, I can't take flash everywhere, every time during dark times of the year.

With Monochrome where ISO4000 is not a big deal, f2.5 is enough IMO.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 2

The 35mm focal length has really never appealed to me. I much prefer 50mm on small format. If I want to go wide, I prefer 28mm on a Leica or a 24mm on an SLR. The 35mm focal length is a compromise - it is neither wide nor normal but resides in some awkward space in between. Sometimes ,its an acceptable compromise. Mostly, I'd rather just use the 50mm and not think about it.

I spent my first 20 some odd years with a Leica M4 using mostly a 35mm lens, occasionally augmented with a 90  and 135. I eventually tried a 50 and began to like it. You should follow your heart and interest. I won't recommend a particular 35 for you though, as there are hundreds of recommendations for various ones on this forum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndreasG said:

It is certainly a great lens, but presently very difficult to get one since Leica stopped the production. I am also looking for one.

Since the 35mm f/2.4 Summarit is hard to track down these days, maybe consider one of these?        

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217512-REG/leica_11677_elmarit_m_28mm_f_2_8_asph.html                                                     

This is a great little lens; the Made in Portugal flavor saves you $300 USD.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, LeicaR10 said:

Shu_downunder,   It appears you have already made a number of decisions on what is the best focal length lens for your genre of photography.  You will find photographers on the forum that will offer all kinds of well intentioned advice.  This includes me.  But at the end of the day, only you can decide what is best for your photography and wallet.  I can say, the 35 Apo Summicron based on my experience of owning and using the lens for the last 4 months is a masterpiece of optical engineering.  It is incredible at resolving details that are not IMO obtainable with the other Leica 35mm lenses.  BUT...resolution of detail is not the only factor for me.  How the lens renders the scene is far more important to me, than just a highly resolving and corrected gem of a 35mm lens and this leads me back to the other superb Leica 35mm lenses, new and old.  Perhaps you can borrow or rent the updated version of the Leica 35 Summicron and take it for a several day test drive.  Finally, it will once again be your decision what works best for you and your wallet.  I hope this helps you, but ultimately I hope you find the 35mm lens that helps you create photographs that make the viewer; Stop, Look, Think and Feel something about that moment in time.  I am certain you will find it.   r/ Mark

PS...You might take a look at this article on Street Silhouettes and his comparisons on the different versions of Leica 35mm lenses.  He has written several articles that you can look around on his former site and find his Leica 35mm lens versions and comparisons.  Try:

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2016/5/31/comparing-3-generations-of-35mm-summicrons

Thanks Mark for your experience and article recommended. That's info I really need.

I was a die hard 50mm person. Then I sold the 0.95 Noctilux and bought the 35 FLE. It changed my perspective, my way of thinking and my composing. I have recently added the 40 Summicron to the collection only to realize it barely leaves the M10-R body these days (I also use it as a body cap, being the smallest "normal" Leica lens out there) for that 70's look.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Herr Barnack:

Since the 35mm f/2.4 Summarit is hard to track down these days, maybe consider one of these?        

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217512-REG/leica_11677_elmarit_m_28mm_f_2_8_asph.html                                                     

This is a great little lens; the Made in Portugal flavor saves you $300 USD.

I also can recommend the 28mm ASPH Elmarit, I bought one around three years ago, it is meanwhile one of my favorite lenses. Top performance for relative little money.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2021 at 4:18 PM, Gadfly21 said:

I will echo LeicaR10 guy above.

The adage of "never sell a Leica lens" has a corollary or two such as "never sell a Voigtlander either". The Color Skopar 35mm 2.5 is one of the best. Looking at a normal print, you will not tell the difference from sharpness alone. It was stupid for me to sell it because it was already good enough and the Leica just costs more. On the other hand, I have sold a couple Leica lenses that I was not using or were too inconvenient and I don't regret it (I use the 1-year rule: If I don't use something in a year, it goes). 

The new APO 'Cron has that handy 0.3m close focus but you still lose the rangefinder function and must switch to live view. You would get the same user experience by adapting your R lenses to an M. So in my opinion, not that handy (It is so sharp however, that you will likely not see the difference on a M240 series body. You will want an M10R to see the difference and print BIG).

If DOF is not a concern, and you are set on Leica, try the Summarit 35 f2.4. You won't regret it.

Maybe I‘m looking for a gem while holding one already in hand:P

The Color Skopar 2.5/35 indeed is very good. But I think I do need the half step of aperture. I would even love the 1.4 if size is not a major concern.

Saying that, lot's of my family snap shots have been taken stepped down to ensure larger DOF. These photos were taken this afternoon, or last night. None of them were wide open.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

When I try to take some portrait-like snap shots, I start to feel like shallower DOF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

However, like the upper one, if the background is totally out of focus, then the background of the story disappeared as well.
For the lower one, I may like 2.0 or 1.4.

Edited by Shu_downunder
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, KFo said:

There are an infinity of Leica 35 to lenses from which to choose.  Not sure why you want to ditch the Voigtlander though.  It seems size wise, etc it might fit your use case pretty well.

If I was going in brand new for a 35 I’d get the APO.  I see that one as a good future proof option that will live well on any body going forward.

I use the 35 Cron , Lux (current versions) but they but stay home for the lighter 28 Summaron most of the time ( in a use case similar to yours).  If I’m out “photographing” the lens selection opens up to everything…

I haven't 'dare' to try 28 yet. I don't have confidence to control that much of background info.

16 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I have been 50 simply because nothing else was available and life used to be less crowded somehow. I used 50 in eighties. As the only lens.

Got back to 50 circa 2010 and used 50 as main lens for everything until 2016 or so. 

With family growing and else getting crowded around us, I switched to 35. And used it as main lens until recently. Now I don't mind to use 21, 28 at all.

At some point I realized what 0.7m concern is not really about getting close. Getting close is getting close with 28 and 21 lens.

Not my money, but I see zero reason for APO, FLE and 1.4 as everyday, everywhere lens on Monochrome. Bulk for no reason, rather than feeling good about owning such lens. IMO.

Viogtalnder are great economy lenses. Some of their 35 are compact (practical) as well. But for Monochrome and feel good with way better build and handling I would recommend Summarit-M 35 2.5. It is aspherical, not big not heavy and build handling are so good it is the only Leica lens I'm founding worth to keep. It is best everyday, everywhere lens I ever had.

This is in terms of 35mm lens.

I don't have Monochrome, but like BW. The only reason I also got CV 35 1.4 MKII is because M-E 220 has only 2500 ISO as high. With such low ISO f1.4 makes sense, I can't take flash everywhere, every time during dark times of the year.

With Monochrome where ISO4000 is not a big deal, f2.5 is enough IMO.

So true and honest! Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spydrxx said:

I spent my first 20 some odd years with a Leica M4 using mostly a 35mm lens, occasionally augmented with a 90  and 135. I eventually tried a 50 and began to like it. You should follow your heart and interest. I won't recommend a particular 35 for you though, as there are hundreds of recommendations for various ones on this forum.

Totally agree. 

As a newbie, I don't mind some of your experience and knowledge as well.